Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I believe that's the bridge (over the railroad tracks) that Spartan was speaking of. It'll be interesting to see what the do under that bridge since that will be the only way for pedestrians to cross towards campus. Unless they find funds and a way to retrofit the bridge with sidewalk. Hopefully this kickstarts the proposed Greene St bridge over the tracks.

I'm also curious to see if the billboard will stay.

I wish they would extend Wheat Street out towards the railroad tracks and then allow it to curve north to follow the tracks until it intersects with Devine. This would allow multiple access points in and out of this complex and future development in the area.

Some more ideas I have about the street grid in the surrounding area. Just made this really quick. The red shape by the convention center would be an expansion of the center.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/kmnV05ySfd

I like where you're thinking. The Pulaski St extension seems like the most feasible to me. The Gadsden St connection also seems plausible.

Also, didn't I read somewhere that USC wants to swap the Greene St crossing with the Devine St crossing of the tracks to have a continuous street connection down to river?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. However, it looks like Florence is forecast to have the highest percentage of job growth over the next year. Columbia appears to rank second.

Oh, sorry. I only considered the larger metros. Myrtle Beach was the most tertiary place I looked at.

SCBT signed a merger agreement Wednesday with Savannah Bancorp to buy that bank for $67.1 million, giving the Columbia-based parent of S.C. Bank & Trust its first presence in coastal Georgia. The Georgia company operates Savannah Bank and Bryan Bank & Trust, which together have 11 locations in South Carolina and Georgia. The two locations in South Carolina – in Beaufort and Jasper counties – likely will be merged into existing SCB&T branches, S.C. Bank and Trust president and chief executive Robert Hill said.

The merger agreement has been approved unanimously by the board of directors of each company and is expected to be completed by November. The combined company will have about $5.3 billion in total assets, $4.5 billion in total deposits and $3.8 billion in total loans; as of now, SCBT has total assets of $4.4 billion. The merger will give SCBT 85 branches in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia.

The Midlands leads the state in job creation for the year. In the 2011-2012 fiscal year, BMW kept the Upstate afloat and Boeing kept the Lowcountry afloat, while Midlands job growth was across the board. "We've been telling people it's the Midlands' time."

http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/18/2403764/midlands-leads-the-state-in-job.html#.UC8WYaBrLww

• 4 weeks later...

Mayor Steve Benjamin has withdrawn his request for landmark status for the Palmetto Compress building, paving the way for it to be razed for student housing. Benjamin, in a letter to the city’s planning commission, said that he had toured the Devine Street building, studied 25 years worth of unsuccessful redevelopment plans, and determined that converting the old cotton warehouse to another use was too difficult.

I'm not aware of previous redevelopment plans except the talk of it possibly being rehabbed into condos shortly before the housing market crash. What others were there?

Mayor Steve Benjamin has withdrawn his request for landmark status for the Palmetto Compress building, paving the way for it to be razed for student housing. Benjamin, in a letter to the city’s planning commission, said that he had toured the Devine Street building, studied 25 years worth of unsuccessful redevelopment plans, and determined that converting the old cotton warehouse to another use was too difficult.

I'm not aware of previous redevelopment plans except the talk of it possibly being rehabbed into condos shortly before the housing market crash. What others were there?

I have some Idea's for this spot i think yall will like once i draw up my own Renderings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The battle over the Palmetto Compress and Warehouse building is really heating up, with preservationists calling for the building to receive landmark status and advocating for its redevelopment, while the owners say they've tried to market the building several times over 26 years, but its size and design make reuse practically impossible.

While I'd like to see the building preserved, it really doesn't seem feasible. If it's razed to make way for new student housing, I say incorporate some salvaged materials from the warehouse into the design of the new structure as a way to pay homage to its history.

• 1 month later...

Some good stuff here: of the 150 largest metro areas in the country, Columbia ranked second for high-tech employment growth from 2010-2011 and fourth from 2006-2011 according to the report "Technology Works: High-Tech Employment and Wages in the United States" (the rankings are on pages 13,14, and 33), prepared by the Bay Area Council Economic Institute for Engine Advocacy, an advocacy  group of technology innovators and entrepreneurs which seeks to shape public policy. While the overall share of high-tech jobs in Columbia, 2.5%, is below the average of 5.6% for the 150 metros included in the study, it's good to see Columbia making great strides in this category. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SCBT and First Financial Holdings Inc. of Charleston announced today that they agreed to a $302 million mergerWhen the deal closes in the fall, the combined bank will be the fifth-largest in South Carolina based on deposits. The merged companies said they will have about $8.3 billion in total assets, $6.9 billion in total deposits and $6.1 billion in total loans.

The holding company will operate under the name First Financial Holdings. A news release did not say what name the combined 148 branches in the Carolinas would use or where the bank will be headquartered.

SCBT and First Financial Holdings Inc. of Charleston announced today that they agreed to a $302 million merger. When the deal closes in the fall, the combined bank will be the fifth-largest in South Carolina based on deposits. The merged companies said they will have about $8.3 billion in total assets, $6.9 billion in total deposits and $6.1 billion in total loans.

The holding company will operate under the name First Financial Holdings. A news release did not say what name the combined 148 branches in the Carolinas would use or where the bank will be headquartered.

I hope they HQ in Columbia. that would be Awesome! if so we might be looking at a new tower in downtown.