Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I don't know where to post this one but this is cool. I wonder if Columbia gets picked how this would impact the city financially and economically 

http://www.wistv.com/story/28971224/columbia-one-of-several-cities-considered-for-hornets-d-league-team

I saw that, too. I am sure businesses in the Vista would be over the moon about it, but what remains to be seen is whether the university opposes it as competition. I'm guessing the D League season runs concurrent with the actual NBA's, so that really shouldn't draw fans away from any USC sport except potentially baseball..and the baseball team is doing a good enough job of that themselves this season. 

I saw that, too. I am sure businesses in the Vista would be over the moon about it, but what remains to be seen is whether the university opposes it as competition. I'm guessing the D League season runs concurrent with the actual NBA's, so that really shouldn't draw fans away from any USC sport except potentially baseball..and the baseball team is doing a good enough job of that themselves this season. 

Back in the day when Mike McGee was USC AD, there would have been a concerted effort to make sure they did NOT come to Columbia.  

Yeah so when they took a poll on this on WIS a lot of people really want this team here. Mayor Benjamin and council members has already had a talk with Michael Jordan about  the economic impact this team would have here in Columbia. also saying that if they do move her more than likely a new arena will be built to house the D- League team here. My questions is Where would it go. the Innovista already has Colonial Life. and Columbia Commons already have Spirit Communications Park. Can anyone say Near Williams Brice maybe? 

Yeah so when they took a poll on this on WIS a lot of people really want this team here. Mayor Benjamin and council members has already had a talk with Michael Jordan about  the economic impact this team would have here in Columbia. also saying that if they do move her more than likely a new arena will be built to house the D- League team here. My questions is Where would it go. the Innovista already has Colonial Life. and Columbia Commons already have Spirit Communications Park. Can anyone say Near Williams Brice maybe? 

Build a new arena? Wow! Just..wow!

Build a new arena? Wow! Just..wow!

Yeah i watched the report yesterday and thats what they've been saying. that we might have to find a home for the Team if they do come here to Columbia. and that involved building a new arena just for them. Honestly I would like to see Colonial Life be turned into a Arena for this team so we can have both USC and the D- League play under the same roof. but i dont that will sit sell with USC. so i think thats why the Mayor said what he said about looking for a building for them.

It's a nice idea, but I see it going to the Triad or Greenville. Both are pretty underserved at the moment as far as sports go (only minor league baseball teams). With Columbia pouring so much money into Spirit Communications Park and Columbia Commons in general, there's not going to be any funding left for a new arena. I would also be concerned about its impact on USC sports and fan support for the new baseball team. 

It's a nice idea, but I see it going to the Triad or Greenville. Both are pretty underserved at the moment as far as sports go (only minor league baseball teams). With Columbia pouring so much money into Spirit Communications Park and Columbia Commons in general, there's not going to be any funding left for a new arena. I would also be concerned about its impact on USC sports and fan support for the new baseball team. 

fan wise a poll taking about this asked columbians about would they support this and surprisely 76% said yes they would. So I think we are gaining momentum on pro sports here in Columbia and its about time we start getting something.

Not to be a downer, but saying you support a team and buying tickets are two different things. I think Columbia may eventually get to a place where it can support smaller teams, like a D-league, but with a new baseball team coming online and plenty of growth potential for USC sports, I don't think the base is there right now. 

Not to be a downer, but saying you support a team and buying tickets are two different things. I think Columbia may eventually get to a place where it can support smaller teams, like a D-league, but with a new baseball team coming online and plenty of growth potential for USC sports, I don't think the base is there right now. 

we'll see

COLUMBIA, SC - A company that once envisioned developing a $1 billion residential and retail community on a Richland County flood plain has quietly sold much of the original 4,500-acre tract to a handful of local interests.

Columbia Venture LLC has in the past decade divested itself of about 3,000 acres as its owners have sought to recoup their money from a project that was hampered by flood restrictions and opposition in Richland County.

What the land ownership changes mean for future development of the property remains unclear, but the issue is of interest these days because of a recent federal plan that could make building easier.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article20723796.html

• 2 weeks later...

Boomtown

Student Housing Explosion Shows No Signs of Slowing
These days, the area around the Palmetto Compress building is like a tiny town inhabited entirely by construction workers. They drive on the dusty streets in little golf carts; they maneuver cranes and rebar and brick. The bright blue and green Tyvek siding on the half-finished buildings adds to the children’s book feel: You’re in Busytown; you’re in Legoland; you’re somewhere that is not Columbia.

Five private student housing projects are under construction within just a few blocks of each other — and that’s not counting the Palmetto Compress building itself, which is set to become apartments and retail. Another five student housing projects are underway across the city, with still others recently opened and others in the planning phases. All told, by the time the projects currently under construction are finished, the city will have some 6,000 new bedrooms for students. And that’s not counting the existing student housing in unincorporated Richland County, out near the stadium, or all the other apartments and condos around the city that cater to students.

And according to Krista Hampton, the city’s planning and development services director, developers are still calling with proposals for new student housing projects.

The scope of the current boom is stunning. It’s driven by several factors.

Honestly, the idea of a D-league team in South Carolina somewhere makes a lot of sense. The Hornets are more actively trying to engage the South Carolina portion of their fanbase (ie: Darius Rucker sang the national anthem at the first Hornets game). I don't know which city in South Carolina makes the most sense, but Columbia seems just as deserving as Greenville or Charleston.

Honestly, the idea of a D-league team in South Carolina somewhere makes a lot of sense. The Hornets are more actively trying to engage the South Carolina portion of their fanbase (ie: Darius Rucker sang the national anthem at the first Hornets game). I don't know which city in South Carolina makes the most sense, but Columbia seems just as deserving as Greenville or Charleston.

IF they want to in turn generate people coming to Hornets games, then Charleston seems a bit of a stretch, would you agree? It just is not as convenient to Charlotte as Columbia, Greenville, or some NC options. However, any place set up for hockey is a terrible place to watch basketball and will struggle to provide a great viewing experience, especially for a team w no strong emotional ties to the fans.

I'm afraid that Benjamin would throw incentives at the Hornets to draw the team. With everything the city is on the hook for at Columbia Commons and the $750M sewer liability, there isn't a lot of discretionary cash floating around these days. Between the Gamecocks and the new baseball team, it would seem like bad timing.

I'm afraid that Benjamin would throw incentives at the Hornets to draw the team. With everything the city is on the hook for at Columbia Commons and the $750M sewer liability, there isn't a lot of discretionary cash floating around these days. Between the Gamecocks and the new baseball team, it would seem like bad timing.

Not to mention every credible, objective economic study has shown that public money spent on stadiums inevitably fails to meet return on investment. Investment in infrastructure and education, however...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It appears retail giant Costco is planning for a location in Columbia.

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin says Costco, the large wholesale retailer with hundreds of locations worldwide, is doing its due diligence on a process that would lead to the construction of a new location on Piney Grove Road. There is not currently a Costco in Columbia

http://www.free-times.com/blogs/060515mayor-costco-planning-columbia-location

The General Services Administration is taking bids to demolish the former Veterans Administration Regional Office building, which sits on prime real estate along Assembly Street overlooking Finlay Park.

The plan calls to replace the five-story building, located at the corner of Assembly and Richland streets, with a parking lot, according to a synopsis posted on the Federal Business Opportunities website.

This is an important building in an important location,” Benjamin said, “and any planner knows the worst of all possible land uses is a parking lot on a prime corner location, particularly one overlooking Columbia’s premier public park. I am adamantly opposed to opposed to it.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54723-plans-for-razing-downtown-va-building-draws-ire-of-area-business-leaders

My Opinion No parking lot there. Columbia already have so many Parking craters in downtown especially on the Assembly Corridor we don't need another surface parking lot there. I think A Mixed use Parking Garage or a Mid rise Apartment of Condo would be good at this location.

Edited by growingup15

• 3 weeks later...