Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

17 hours ago, growingup15 said:

I got an update from Kennell he told me that Don is still working on the project. they are actually continuing to work on the design that the projects are still a go actually. Tomlin is actually moving his Corporate Offices across the street from the Proposed Tower on Assembly street.

Awesome news!!! Did he say anything about timelines? Can you ask him? 

On 2/12/2016 at 3:09 PM, growingup15 said:

Looks like Columbia Has a New Basketball Team c: I am happy about this and to see a Former USC Basketball player is going to be one Running this new Team makes me even more happy.

Now i wonder what their Arena Plans are gonna be and how big.

Carolina Cougars is the new team. (Source: American Basketball Association)

http://www.wistv.com/story/31208736/ex-usc-basketball-player-to-help-run-new-aba-expansion-team-in-columbia

Interesting. Did Columbia ever consider going after the Hornet's D-League team that ended up in Greensboro?

7 hours ago, Spartan said:

Interesting. Did Columbia ever consider going after the Hornet's D-League team that ended up in Greensboro?

They dropped it because the city wasn't going to put anymore public money into something else that was disliked by the community. already people are whining about the Spirit Communications Park being so much money invested into it. the city just can't afford that. building a new arena investing more millions into another team. We'll see once they play their first game if this fully comes to light. might be good.

• 2 weeks later...

The proposed Cardinal Newman redevelopment received its first approval by Forest Acres City Council. I finally looked at where Cardinal Newman was located- that's right in the middle of the whole Trenholm Road redevelopment. The strip malls across the street and next door make the area feel like it needs some added density. In fact, Cardinal Newman feels out of place there now.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/57124-forest-acres-gives-initial-ok-for-redevelopment-of-cardinal-newman-site

• Like 1

The proposed Cardinal Newman redevelopment received its first approval by Forest Acres City Council. I finally looked at where Cardinal Newman was located- that's right in the middle of the whole Trenholm Road redevelopment. The strip malls across the street and next door make the area feel like it needs some added density. In fact, Cardinal Newman feels out of place there now.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/57124-forest-acres-gives-initial-ok-for-redevelopment-of-cardinal-newman-site

You got your streets mixed up there…Forest Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
So i saw a whole bunch of land being cleared out on Bluff Rd across the street from Burger King. did a huge company bought it for a factory or Apartments? I dont know its a huge piece of land.

Yeah I've been wondering the same thing all the land down there is being cleared but we'll find out soon.

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, growingup15 said:

So i saw a whole bunch of land being cleared out on Bluff Rd across the street from Burger King. did a huge company bought it for a factory or Apartments? I dont know its a huge piece of land.

A friend of mine works at Heathwood (the private school right behind this spot) and I'm pretty sure I remember her telling me that it is going to be some type of truck stop. They aren't thrilled but it makes sense given the i77/Bluff Road intersection.

4 hours ago, TKJones said:

A friend of mine works at Heathwood (the private school right behind this spot) and I'm pretty sure I remember her telling me that it is going to be some type of truck stop. They aren't thrilled but it makes sense given the i77/Bluff Road intersection.

It is a truck stop being built. They announced it on WIS 

I remember hearing that they were going to be putting in a lot more than just a truck stop. It also has an announced Love's Truck Tire Care, McDonalds, and Chester's Chicken.

This is probably what it was about but I believe there were more fast food restaurants and a gas station.

Edited by Nick2

That's probably as good a plot for a care facility as any given the character of the area. Better a side street in more of a run down area rather than a high profile intersection since it will provide very little flowover for surrounding businesses. I hope they find a way to keep some of the trees rather than clear cutting the entire site. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, growingup15 said:

Yay good news 

Kroger shopping center on Assembly moving toward reality

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article81666407.html

Alot of things gonna be happening next cycle, 

This land also goes down to the river. First canal, then brookland, and now this. Most things align with the river being a focal point and attraction. Also Commons is already 54% contracted out on a 10-year plan. This coupled by 4 possible high/mid-ride parcels in the CBD shows dramatic change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Alot of things gonna be happening next cycle, 

This land also goes down to the river. First canal, then brookland, and now this. Most things align with the river being a focal point and attraction. Also Commons is already 54% contracted out on a 10-year plan. This coupled by 4 possible high/mid-ride parcels in the CBD shows dramatic change. 

Downtown is going to Look so different in just 3 years. It's exciting.

• 1 month later...

If done right, it could be a huge plus. The failure to turn over the management of the City Police to the Sheriff's Department does not bode well for this happening. All the bad headlines and distrust from the Penny Tax and elections will be a huge barrier to building the kind of trust needed to pull something like this off.  

Successfully completing some FUNCTIONAL consolidation like what has happened with Fire and 911 would be the route to go. Get some base hits before trying to hit the Grand Slam.

I do hope that USC delves deeply into the process and results from Consolidation, so that some day Columbia/Richland or some other city/county benefits sometime in the future.  

I've always thought getting a smaller county to consolidate would be the best segway to getting a large one done. Sumter would be a near perfect choice, IMO.  Gaffney/Cherokee County would be another logical option to take the plunge.   

• Like 1

In Charlotte we have a partial merger of City/County government that works fairly well. Augusta is a complete merger except for a couple of small towns.

I think it could make some sense for Columbia, but I would want to see more information. There are obvious operational benefits from combining government services, but there are a lot of challenges too. I think it would make it harder to get more progressive policies and practices like form based code, transit, and there could potentially be less focus on CBD revitalization depending on who gets elected.