New Retail Downtown

PBJ

Since we've been discussing d/t retail at length in other threads I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to it.

Where do you put it? Monroe? Behind the arena? Do you take the old UsXChange space/lot next door?

My question is this, if you do build new, how big do you build? My thoughts would be take the area behind the arena, build 4-7 story brick buildings to match surrounding buildings. First 1-3 stories would be retail/night life, and the rest would be apartments/condos/offices. I'd take the 2 or 3 lots behind the arena, and make a large shopping/nightlife district. I'd proabably tie in the USXChange building/Bistro to this area. Of course I'd have to build a parking structure, or throw the long dollar out and put it underneath everything.

That's what I'd do with my millions.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, a new thread! What he said ^^ I think South of the arena would be the best. It would put it smack dab in the middle of the new "Contemporary District":

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?binobjid=1402

The USXChange building is half empty right now, and so is much of 100 Grandville. How cool would it be to shop at an Urban Outfitters or Aldo Shoes with REAL hardwood floors ;)

Yay, a new thread! What he said ^^ I think South of the arena would be the best. It would put it smack dab in the middle of the new "Contemporary District":

The USXChange building is half empty right now, and so is much of 100 Grandville. How cool would it be to shop at an Urban Outfitters or Aldo Shoes with REAL hardwood floors ;)

I think this would be the best spot as well. I did a little research and calculated the site to be around 4.5 acres if you take the street between the 2 lots and include the parking lot in the same block as the arena (where the expansion would be).

I'd love to see some national presents on that site, and then south division could become the place for local and independent retailers. Heartside would be the trendiest neighborhood between Chicago and New York!

Yeah, that would be sweet. How about building new on those lots, I know were all tower people, but I think 4-7 story buildings are probably the best for this particular situation, and would look cool from the S-Curve. Or would you go bigger/smaller?

guess I have plans for the lottery money I'm about ready to win... :whistling:

guess I have plans for the lottery money I'm about ready to win...

Ah, hate to break it to you, but I just bought the winning ticket yesterday ;) Or that's what the clerk promised me :huh:

Funny thing is, I'd do the exact same thing with the money. If we could only convince someone who already had it :yahoo:

I know were all tower people, but I think 4-7 story buildings are probably the best for this particular situation, and would look cool from the S-Curve. Or would you go bigger/smaller?

I probably wouldn't go any higher than 5 or 6 stories in that area. Ok maybe I'd build one taller one :D , but most if them would be similar to the buildings that line Ionia S of Fulton. It would be a better fit in the existing urban context.

I probably wouldn't go any higher than 5 or 6 stories in that area. Ok maybe I'd build one taller one :D , but most if them would be similar to the buildings that line Ionia S of Fulton. It would be a better fit in the existing urban context.

Yeah that was my thought too. Plus I love that view of the d/t area when going north on 131.. smaller buildings in the foreground, the big boys off in the distance...

Maybe we can get Eric to buy the lots for us, since he already has a vested interest in the area :whistling:.

In all seriousness, do you think the city/ellis would even sell those lots with out the promise of make up space being built so they don't lose revenue???

Yeah that was my thought too. Plus I love that view of the d/t area when going north on 131.. smaller buildings in the foreground, the big boys off in the distance...

Maybe we can get Eric to buy the lots for us, since he already has a vested interest in the area :whistling:.

In all seriousness, do you think the city/ellis would even sell those lots with out the promise of make up space being built so they don't lose revenue???

probably not. parking lots are easy revenue. there would probably be some kind of a demand for a garage :sick: , expecially since those are not only dash lots, but they are also used for arena events.

There are already plans in the works for a 1000 car garage somewhere along Ionia near Cherry, so that might relieve some pressure from those surface lots.

I think 5 - 7 stories to mimic 100 Grandville's height and the Ionia Street businesses, and then the buildings could stack up as you moved toward the central business district (as someone already said :blush: ). And someone wouldn't need the cash to do this. They could just line up a series of investors to help back the project. If Moch can put together a $26 million loan, anyone with any moxy can.

There are already plans in the works for a 1000 car garage somewhere along Ionia near Cherry, so that might relieve some pressure from those surface lots.

I think 5 - 7 stories to mimic 100 Grandville's height and the Ionia Street businesses, and then the buildings could stack up as you moved toward the central business district (as someone already said :blush: ). And someone wouldn't need the cash to do this. They could just line up a series of investors to help back the project. If Moch can put together a $26 million loan, anyone with any moxy can.

So you're saying i should just quit my cushy office job with good pay eh? :unsure:

:D

I drove by that area today, and they could totally vacate Ottawa Street South of Weston, maybe even South of Fulton, and make a beautiful plaza through there. Imagine a retail/entertainment complex with plazas right behind the USXChange Building and in place of Ottawa all the way out to Fulton Street. :thumbsup:

Oh, and the piece' de resitance being anchored by a House of Blues, BOB and boutique hotel at one end, and a Nordstroms at the other end right behind 100 Grandville. Drop a movie theater in right in the middle, and kapow!

Archived