Memphis's South Downtown area to get new hotel

sleepy

No renderings. Supposed to have 81 rooms and be open in 6 months which seems mighty fast. It's being pitched as the first development in the South Forum area, which adjoins the South Main district, but is largely vacant lots. In that area, it has to go through a design review process, so here's hoping the results are nice.

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Microtel can best be described as an economy motel chain. They are based out of Atlanta and are in the Days Inn mold.

Oh, I know it's no biggie, and basically a chain motel. That's why I mentioned the design scrutiny it will have to undergo. The finished product ought to look interesting.

Plus, I think the fact that it's basically in that desolate and deserted South Forum area is good overall. And, it's a short walk--a block or two--to the South Main area. I would suspect that South Main will be getting some sort of boutique hotel at some point, and it will be a good mix of boutique and budget.

And not to forget, that the Westin is going up a few blocks north and the Chisca folks announced their Hilton deal in that general area.

On my yearly trips to Memphis, an upgrade for me is staying at the Court Square Inn, so I'm way more budget than boutique. :lol:

Most of the Microtels are of the same general design. These are also all wood structures. Ive seen a couple go up in different places around the south. Most of them are below 100 rooms and limited service motels. Maybe they will have a new design for their properties instead of the same old same old. I am glad they are working with the area to come up with a design that will work in that location.

Most of the Microtels are of the same general design. These are also all wood structures. Ive seen a couple go up in different places around the south. Most of them are below 100 rooms and limited service motels. Maybe they will have a new design for their properties instead of the same old same old. I am glad they are working with the area to come up with a design that will work in that location.

Yeah, they'll absolutely have to come up with a design that fits that neighborhood. There are some rigorous guidelines in place for the South Forum area. I doubt if it will resemble a Microtel that's alongside an interstate.

This is the type of foolishness that exists in Shelby County. Why in the world would you grant a nine year PILOT to a motel. It makes no sense. The south forum area isn't going to gain momentum by getting a motel to invest in the area. If they don't want to come downtown without tax incentives, let em go somewhere else! The city shouldn't even allow them to enter the downtown market unless they are going with a unique design that will fit with the area. I wouldn't even give out a one year tax incentive to a motel chain. This is the fastest growing area of the city. Microtel can easily make their investment and a large profit in no time. I checked out their website and they are just another Motel 6 type.

International Paper and FedEx deserve their tax breaks. But I'm thinking Microtel is going to hire about ten housekeepers, a few front desk clerks, and a manager. Do we really want them that bad when they are only creating 15-20 low paying jobs. Wake up Memphis!!!

Archived