Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

I ate dinner the other night at the mexican restaurant over there. I asked a construction guy what was going into that spot and he said an Office Max or something like that. My co-worker's wife works at Crabtree and he told me Best Buy. So, now the rumors are Best Buy, OfficeMax/Depot/Staples and an Old Navy. Anything else you guys can think of? How about an Apple Store?

Well we can put rumors and speculation to rest now. Its official: Best Buy will be moving from its current location at Pleasant Valley to a store 2/3 the size at the Crabtree Convenience Center. Also, no second story is planned for Barnes & Noble. Wow - what a crappy way to end all of that speculation :(

Best Buy moving to Crabtree

Best Buy's blue and yellow banner will soon take a short trip down Glenwood Avenue to Crabtree Valley Mall.

The electronics retailer is planning to move its Pleasant Valley Promenade store to the mall this fall, in time for holiday shopping.

Smiley said rumors that Barnes & Noble will add a second floor are not true. Neither are other rumors, she said.

I guess the rumor I heard was right. Big deal...a Best Buy. I guess it is a good business decision by Crabtree, but it does nothing to add to the appeal of the mall for me. Too bad they didn't decide to do more with the convenience center. It will be interesting to see what replaces the old Best Buy in Pleasant Valley.

What an colossal blunder. Crabtree has the perfect opportunity to reinvent itself and it takes the cheapo route, rendering it a hopeless 1970's concept.

I'm sure that Bed Bath & Beyond will want to take the Best Buy space since their current location might as well be at the bottom of a stairway to Hell.

What an colossal blunder. Crabtree has the perfect opportunity to reinvent itself and it takes the cheapo route, rendering it a hopeless 1970's concept.

I'm sure that Bed Bath & Beyond will want to take the Best Buy space since their current location might as well be at the bottom of a stairway to Hell.

They just opened a Bed Bath & Beyond in Pleasant Vally a few months ago. I doubt they will move now.

In my opinion, Best Buy got a big Score and Crabtree Valley Mall just conceded to TTC and Southpoint. Shameful!!!!!!! :ph34r:

One can only hope that they have something up their sleeve as far as redevelopment goes. If they do, don't count on hearing anything until the last minute. Crabtree is very secretive with their plans. I would not be surprised if Barnes & Noble moves to North Hills Phase 2 in the future if Crabtree has no plans of expansion.

I forsee Barnes and Noble staying at crabtree and a another to open at North Hills. Really theres no competition at either location as far as bookstores go. I hope something good goes in the current Best Buy Location. I think there better off at Pleasant Valley. Traffic alone at Crabtree would deter me from going to Best Buy if that's all I really wanted to do. Isn't it about time they level that space and reinvent the area adjoining the mall. Conceding to TTC and Southpoint indeed.

I had always thought it would have been neat if maybe Barnes and Noble took one floor of the old Lord & Taylor space and then maybe Best Buy took the other floor although I'm not sure if the space would have really been large enough for that. Then the convenience center would have been freed up for complete redevelopment...

I forsee Barnes and Noble staying at crabtree and a another to open at North Hills. Really theres no competition at either location as far as bookstores go. I hope something good goes in the current Best Buy Location. I think there better off at Pleasant Valley. Traffic alone at Crabtree would deter me from going to Best Buy if that's all I really wanted to do. Isn't it about time they level that space and reinvent the area adjoining the mall. Conceding to TTC and Southpoint indeed.

I totally agree!

They will be in a smaller store, in an older section of the run down, out dated plaza. Even with putting new paint on the wall I am very disappointed. Now if in the next year or two the whole of Crabtree reinvented itself I would be much happier. But suprised! :)

We should e-mail the folks at Crabtree and let them know that their once hot mall is losing it's luster, as a customer,i have a right to voice my opinion, and right know crabtree is not exciting to me at all,i just hope they have somthing up their sleve too, because i don't like what am seeing so far. :angry:

We should e-mail the folks at Crabtree and let them know that their once hot mall is losing it's luster, as a customer,i have a right to voice my opinion, and right know crabtree is not exciting to me at all,i just hope they have somthing up their sleve too, because i don't like what am seeing so far. :angry:

Agreed! :D

Whom do we contact? Maybe if we ask nicly they could at least let us know if they intend to leave the mall/area the same for the forseeable future or maybe something will be done to it in the near future? :huh:

They can answer these questions without giving away there plans,(which they probably won't), and still make us happy knowing that they really do have bigger plans. And not just adding a little paint....? :)

Agreed! :D

Whom do we contact? Maybe if we ask nicly they could at least let us know if they intend to leave the mall/area the same for the forseeable future or maybe something will be done to it in the near future? :huh:

They can answer these questions without giving away there plans,(which they probably won't), and still make us happy knowing that they really do have bigger plans. And not just adding a little paint....? :)

I have sent two letters over the last 5 years to Bobby Medlin, the mall's GM. I think that he is the one we should contact.

Mr. Bobby Medlin

General Manager

Crabtree Valley Mall

4325 Glenwood Ave

Raleigh, NC 27612

Disappointing to say the least--- Good for business in the convenience center and for Best Buy, bad for the shopping center as a whole... I see this outlying convenience center as a wasteland for the enclosed mall -- Parking and traffic in the mall parking lot will become even more atrocious -- well at least the speculation can be put to rest...

This is a good move for Best Buy. The location they have at Pleasant Valley had almost no presence from Glenwood, and I'm sure the sales there were lower than they should have been because of it.

Though I would have preferred something radically different than that at the Convenience Center, it'll be okay. I'm more disappointed that Barnes & Noble isn't expanding...or could it be that they're moving into the mall into part of the old Lord & Taylor. ;)

I've talked ad nauseum about my plan to put a street scene on top of two levels of parking (where the convenience center stands). One thing the project needs is an anchor - like Southpoint's cinemas and Organized Living do/did for that street. Why not make Best Buy that anchor. With well placed escalators, people can actually park closer to the door than they can with a sea of parking. The building could have signage that would easily be seen from Glenwood. They could even put a Hampton Inn or something on top of the Best Buy in that scenario.

I'm just shaking my head.

I agree with the thought of completely tearing down the convenience center and redeveloping it. I think everything east of the parking deck should be razed, rebuilt as a walkable streetscape that includes restaraunts, housing, hotels, and maybe a movie theater.

Maybe Crabtree should consult with Mr. Kane and get some ideas.

Also, And very important: Crabtree must be designed to accomadate either Buses and/or Rail. The transfer-point/station must be assesible for people and for the vehicles. The buses should be able to be in and out in very short order.