Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

I agree almost all malls are walkable,i didn't say anything in my post about the mall it's self not being walkable ,so i don't know were that comment came from, but anyway you do make a good point about TTC having a ocean of parking around it, but they have alot of chances and land to change their thinking and planning , Crabtree has to seize every chance because the place is landlocked and in a flood zone, all am saying is TTC, like the place or not, has alot more opitions to explore like adding a Hotel with a small convention center complex, a mix use project right their in close proximity or walking distance to TTC ,that's what they can do in the future with there big old ocean of parking they can do tons of different projects ,does Crabtree have this many opitions? :huh:

I must have misunderstood your post regarding the walkability of Crabtree. Please don't take offense to that.

With regards to Crabtree's options, I do feel that they have plenty if they choose to capitalize on it. The land to the rear of Crabtree is getting ready to be developed now as mixed-use. As far as hotels go, there are currently 4 that I can think of that are within walking distance with another on the way. With regards to parking, I never have a problem finding a space in that parking deck. It is huge and just because there is not a space right at the doorstep doesn't mean there is no parking there.

Yes, Crabtree is not an ideal urban environment, but neither is TTC in my opinion. It was developed at a time when walkability and urban planning wasn't as relevant as today's developments. I think they have the potential to do more, but who says they won't. I won't jump all over the mall because it is not like TTC or Southpoint, but I hope to see more in the next couple of years. I think the comments of what has Crabtree done for me lately is a little short-sighted. It wasn't long ago that they gave us the area's first Crate & Barrel, PF Changs and Cheesecake Factory. These were big announcements not too long ago. Plus, with North Hills reinvention, the two areas serve pretty much the same markets due to their proximatey to one another.

* At The Streets at Southpoint in Durham, Select Comfort started work this week near Belk on the lower level and will open in August. And Urban Outfitters is official. Work should start soon on the former Organized Living spot, and the store will open in time for the holidays.

* In Apex, at the Beaver Creek Crossings shopping center under development, several major tenants will open in late fall, including: Borders, Circuit City, Dick's Sporting Goods, Old Navy, T.J. Maxx and Home Goods.

* At Cary Towne Center, Coldwater Creek will be the first of three tenants in the new outdoor "lifestyle center" component. The mall plans to refurbish the part of the mall facing Walnut Street, from Talbot's to Belk to be more of an inviting streetscape. Coldwater Creek will be the first of three new stores with both interior and exterior entrances leading directly into the parking lot. It will open this fall.

Also, clothing store Silvina moved across from Georgiou, a women's fashion store; mattress retailer Dormia moved to a new spot near center court next to Hecht's; and LB Sports is moving next to Sears and will reopen by June 10.

* And, Triangle Town Center in North Raleigh will become the site of the state's first Archiver's store, which is kind of an emporium for scrapbookers. Archiver's stores have workrooms, digital printing equipment and classes for serious scrapbookers. The store will open in August next to Men's Warehouse in the outdoor "commons" part of the mall.

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/446552.html

Crabtree better get off it's ass and do something.

I saw in the TBJ this morning that the developers of the former "Kidds Hill Plaza" have put the land back up for sale. I think they paid 6.7million for 10 acres and want 20.4million now. What a difference 3 years makes and of course the Soilet Center helps. :)

Those sound pretty close to "skyscraper" land values - where you have to build a skyscraper or you won't turn a profit. This is an indication of the direction this area is headed, thanks to Soleil. The question is, can the infrastructure handle it?

I noticed last night when turning onto Glenwood from Creedmor that a Macy's banner has now been placed over the Hechts logos....are there now banners over all area Hechts stores or is Crabtree the first?

Don't you mean that the Hecht's banner has been placed over the new Macy's sign? I heard that they won't unveil the Macy's thing until the Fall.

There was another article in the paper this weekend about the Galleria and how the may sell the property for a huge gain. I wonder if this is overkill in the market too, but I still feel like we will see many of these specific proposals built. It may take sometime to fill and may create a gap in time befre we see more here, but I still think it happens.

I believe the new building at the old Koger Center is the first of many from what I've been told. I have a colleague that rents space in there and apparently they are planning on slowly transitioning the older building out for newer ones until the entire complex is rebuilt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...never been to CVM but love reading about it. I like it when these older malls can kick it to be better than the newer ones. I wish McAlister in greenville could have survived. Want to say that the Lord & Taylor logo is the best ever ......only thing ever any better was the old John Wannamaker logo ...something about that cursive swaying!

I Agree about logos with "cursive swaying" I was more sad to see the Lord & Taylor sign go then the actual store itself. There are still a few department stores left that have cursive writing for their logos, They are:

Elder Beerman

Herberger's

Younkers (some have cursive and some have boring block lettering)

Carson Pirie Scott

Marshal Fields (soon to be generic Macy's stores)

Does anyone else know of any other department stores with cursive letter logos? I tried looking for the Wannamaker logo on the net but couldn't find it. Where were they based out of?

Edited by inthesalebin

Does anyone know what is going in the rest of the old Toys R Us space? It looks like Best Buy is only taking over a little of TRU and out to the corner closest to Ridge Road, but leaving plenty of space for something else. It also looks like the mexican restaurant is not going anywhere, with BB wrapping around it with the car audio bay behind it in the old TRU back door pickup area.

Also, why did Namco's cyberstation close? It went from the narrow hall that was Aladdin's Castle to the Cyberstation location during the early 90s rennovation (including the space that is now the Treasure Island jewelery store/repair shop) to nothing. Was the lease up or was it just not doing well? Is there any rumors as to what is going in that space?

I know arcades have been in decline across the US, but the tech-savvy Triangle has seen several arcades close (or never open to begin with):

- Northgate had two different arcades -- one in the old McDonalds space by the carousel in the early 80s, and another close to Sears in the early-mid 90s. Both lasted only a few years each.

- South Square, Universtiy Mall, and Franklin Street had arcades that were dark and attracted a "certain crowd" which led to their downfall.

- Crabtree's GC Murphy's had a small arcade section in the back of the store closest to the parking deck.

- Cary Town Center's arcade was operated by Namco, then Funwerks, then closed.

- Exhilirama was one of the first tenants of Crossroads and seemed to do well, but went through ownership changes and then closed several years ago.

- Putt Putt on Tryon started off ok, but then went to Funwerks, and is now putt putt again with outdated games.

- Jillians closed a few weeks ago.

- Southpoint and Triangle Town Center were built with play areas for smaller kids, but no arcades (other than a few games scatterd at Southpoint Cinema and Champps)

I often shopped at Crabtree because I knew I could pop in and play some pinball, classic games, or blow off stress with the gun game du jour. Now there

Where will the DDR, Initial D and fighting game players go now? Frankies fun park? Adventure Landing on Capital? Ugh.

Does anyone know what is going in the rest of the old Toys R Us space? It looks like Best Buy is only taking over a little of TRU and out to the corner closest to Ridge Road, but leaving plenty of space for something else. It also looks like the mexican restaurant is not going anywhere, with BB wrapping around it with the car audio bay behind it in the old TRU back door pickup area.

My understanding is that Best Buy is taking all of the space that TRU and Pier 1 had.

I guess that since 25 year old men are spending 26 hours a week playing Madden on their XBoxes and Playstations, the teenagers are, too, to a degree, and therefore the coin-op market is collapsing.

I guess that since 25 year old men are spending 26 hours a week playing Madden on their XBoxes and Playstations, the teenagers are, too, to a degree, and therefore the coin-op market is collapsing.
The crowds at gaming stores seems to be getting older, from what I can tell. Not sure what's up with that.

• 3 months later...

I think Crabtree planners are in a limbo mode. And that new Best Buy at the old Toys R Us space just made things worse.

Because now they surely won't level that exterior shopping complex and expand the mall. The best they could do is a renovation. Maybe upgrade the Barnes N Noble and attempt to lure "Neiman Marcus" to the old "Lord and Taylor" Spot.

Best Buy really was great in its old location. Now theres that big gap in Pleasant Valley. Sheesh.

neiman marcus isn't going to come to crabtree valley, despite the fact that crabtree could probably support one, you can see they are testing the nc market with the one they opened up in charlotte. HOWEVER, i think a bloomingdales at crabtree would work really well, crabtree needs that one department store to make that upscale statement, and saks messed things up by locating to triangle towne center, so the bloomingdales corp. have a great opportunity to come to crabtree and become the premeir department store of the triangle. tell me that couldn't work, i'd love to see it happen :w00t:

Okay.. so I heard a rumor.. My boss's friend says that a Morton's is planned for Crabtree and that the mall is looking to connect the Barnes/Best Buy plaza with the mall proper. I know that raleighing has a proposal for this, but I didn't think it was real. Does anyone know anything about this or is it jsut a rumor?

Okay.. so I heard a rumor.. My boss's friend says that a Morton's is planned for Crabtree and that the mall is looking to connect the Barnes/Best Buy plaza with the mall proper. I know that raleighing has a proposal for this, but I didn't think it was real. Does anyone know anything about this or is it jsut a rumor?

Hey! My proposal is "real"! (it's just been ignored -_- ). The "official" plan as I recall was to extend that cheap parking decking that wraps Hudson Belk across to the edge of Barnes and Noble. They were going to add a second floor to B&N and put a restaurant row between Belk and B&N. Morton's was mentioned in that plan, but I think we are going back, like, 3 years or so with this info.

The latest I heard on Morton's was 222 Glenwood. The mall has been mum on their plans, but it appears that their focus is redoing Lord & Taylor and putting in shops and restaurants where the food court/parking deck gap is. Both the plan you mentioned and this one are just terrible, short-sighted, cheapo ways to reinvent the place.

BTW, Morton's has been mentioned as a possibility with seemingly every retail project mentioned in the last 10 years. IIRC the list goes: Crabtree, North Hills, Site 1, 222 Glenwood...wasn't there one more??? If that all came true it would be like that time that Pink Floyd played in this market, like, 3 times in an 18-month period.??