Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

I don't like that small wrap-around deck at Belk either, but if they ever intend to create an outdoor shopping area to connect Belk to the Barnes and Noble area, this deck may not be that bad. At SOS they have a drive bisecting the pedestrian area. Being raised at Crabtree could create a completely walkable strip with no vehicle interuption. This is, of course, if theyevr plan on doing this...

I haven't noticed much in the Hecht's to Macy's conversion at Crabtree. The customer service is about the same -- friendly help, if they don't have a line of three customers waiting to make purchases.

The housewares seems to have taken a step back, but Hechts was overpriced, and probably had a hard time competing with Linens N things and Bed Bath and Beyond for mid-tier (and below) merchandise.

The furniture/rugs area was always dark in an unappealing way, and didn't make sense.

Did anyone go to the Wheel of Fortune event in the old L&T space over the weekend? On Sunday the sales person at Macy's asked if I'd gone, but I didn't even know it was going on.

If the brick exterior is any indication, there *is* a piece of the former Toys R Us location not being occupied by Best Buy, as I said earlier. With the store opening for Chrismas shopping, they probably would have spiffied up the area that used to house the TRU shopping carts by now. This could be B&N expansion space, or the space could be used by someone else. The piano seller moved from the service center into the "flood prone" first floor area next to Macy's, so they could move back after Christmas and winter rennovations.

I haven't noticed much in the Hecht's to Macy's conversion at Crabtree. The customer service is about the same -- friendly help, if they don't have a line of three customers waiting to make purchases.

The housewares seems to have taken a step back, but Hechts was overpriced, and probably had a hard time competing with Linens N things and Bed Bath and Beyond for mid-tier (and below) merchandise.

The furniture/rugs area was always dark in an unappealing way, and didn't make sense.

The excellent home department is part of what made Hecht's Carbtree Valley so appealing. I'm sad that its been scaled back, but I'm sure it still is better than Hudson Belk and sSears in that regard.

The furniture department was typical Hecht's. Very dark and somewhat confusing. I think if Macy's lights up the walkways a little more, it'll look and feel better.

I love crabtree because it has an urban mall feel to it. One of the few malls in NC that has that gives you that feeling. Mainly due to the parking deck and the location.

I agree. It's trying to fit so much mall into such little space that makes it feel urban, as opposed to TTC which seems sprawly and spread out

I didn't realize how good shoppers had it at Hecht's housewares until recent wedding registry trips with the fiance. (Hudson) Belks had a lot of "oooh, nice shiny expensive I'll never actually eat off them" China, but the every day stuff, appliacnes, etc. seemed to be a jumbled mess the next room over.

We didn't even go into Sears, as we'd rather register at Target. With Crate and Barrel in Crabtree, I would have thought the department stores would step up, but they seem to have stepped back.

For the furniture section, I know they had a good selection of quality pieces in different styles, but it left me wishing they could transplant the North Hills Storehouse (R.I.P) into that space. The "natural light at Northlake "comment helped me realize why I thought that way.

Crabtree has two easy expansion spaces left -- the old Lord & Taylor space, and the space between Belks and Barnes and Nobles. It will be successful even if it does nothing with those spaces, but could be an even bigger draw if it does something special there.

I know the lack of decks at Southpoint and Triangle Town Center allow for better mall visibility, and how that is appealing to many shoppers. But to me, I'd trade that in a second for the shorter walk that decks allow. With the topography changes in both locations, they could have bulit decks that were even with "higher" natural elevations, but instead put in retaining walls. What is the reason for the "deck" between TTC and the Super Target? Is it for employees during the holiday shopping season? Or is it for shoppers in the Poyner Place "village" area?

The outdoor areas of TTC and Southpoint could have decks on both sides, making walking there a lot easier. Other than the Maggianos and California Pizza Kitchen at Southpoint, none of those stores use the "back side" for anything other than deliveries.

Southpark in Charlotte is doing a good job of retrofitting its parking area with decks. The Crate and Barrell is going to have a furniture section, and other additions have created a lot of momentum in the area. They even squeezed in the Dick's Sporting Goods adjacent to the mall itself, instead of the "end" of the commons across the street at TTC. TTC could easily fit Dicks and something else with better land use, including builing decks.

I want to check out Southpoint's Urban Outfitters, but it seems like half of Durham goes there every weekend! I like the "narrowness" of the bottom floor (underneath the walkway of the second floor). The Cole Hann store is something I'd like to see at Crabtree. It is just out of my price range, but i like to look with the hope that some day I can afford that. Walking the outside stretch of Southpoint is something not replicable at any other shopping center in the Triangle right now, but that isn't justification enough to drive from Raleigh. Popping in during lunch from RTP, however, is another matter.

Hudson Belk Crabtree's strength in housewares is in china, crystal and flatware. Macy's does small appliances, domestics and furniture well, while Sears has major applicnces covered. Crate & Barrel fills in all the rest of the cracks.

An idea I've had often is the reconstruction of Hudson Belk in its parking lot with a three story expansion of the mall shops in the old store. I think it would work, though they'd have to find a way to replace the surface parking.

What I like best about the idea is that it intensifies the use of the old Hudson Belk space, and gives them a fresh start. They're the only store in the mall that's pretty much the same as it was in in 1972, and it's a little worse for wear.

Edited by StevenRocks

What I like best about the idea is that it intensifies the use of the old Hudson Belk space, and gives them a fresh start. They're the only store in the mall that's pretty much the same as it was in in 1972, and it's a little worse for wear.

It's hard to beleive that they recently remodeled that store. Everytime I go in that store, I am amazed at how cluttered it is. I think they could have definitely done better with the renovations IMO.

So what is the deal with the service center area. I like the look of the new Best Buys with the red-brick, but it doesn't fit in too well with the rest of Crabtree. Are they starting a new trend for the mall? Will the B&N and Post Office remodel to match the exterior of Best Buy?

It's hard to beleive that they recently remodeled that store. Everytime I go in that store, I am amazed at how cluttered it is. I think they could have definitely done better with the renovations IMO.
I know they could have. Hudson Belk Crabtree has been sqeezed for every dollar they can get out of it, and it shows. I like the store overall, but Belk doesn't look like it invests any more into it than aboslutely necessary.

So what is the deal with the service center area. I like the look of the new Best Buys with the red-brick, but it doesn't fit in too well with the rest of Crabtree. Are they starting a new trend for the mall? Will the B&N and Post Office remodel to match the exterior of Best Buy?
I figure they'll try to match up the rest of the Convenience Center eventually. There's nothing much to sve there. I haven't seen it since Best Buy went in, but it sounds awkward-looking now.

I know they could have. Hudson Belk Crabtree has been sqeezed for every dollar they can get out of it, and it shows. I like the store overall, but Belk doesn't look like it invests any more into it than aboslutely necessary.

I figure they'll try to match up the rest of the Convenience Center eventually. There's nothing much to sve there. I haven't seen it since Best Buy went in, but it sounds awkward-looking now.

The parking situation is going to be really bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Crabtree since Best Buy opened on Friday?

How bad is the traffic now in the service center? Is/was parking horrendus? I might go out there before Friday, but am not sure if it is worth the trip. Mabye I'll take the bus...

What happened to the other Best Buy's space up Glenwood?

The rumor that one of our readers has been pushing my way is that Hudson Belk will put their men's dept. in part of the L&T space. If that's right, it is a bad bad sign for brick & mortar retail. That mall needs a new concept, not more of the same.
I certainly hope that rumor is false. A Hudson Belk men's store would put some life back into the space, but it would blck the mall's last remaing anchor space that wouldn't require major construction to occupy.

Are they asleep at the wheel at Crabtree's management office? :(

Macy's/Federated *extended* Lord and Taylor's lease before they closed that store. I don't know why Crabtree did that, since it gave them an empty anchor for this shopping season. Federated may have hinted at a Bloomies, but their motivation was to keep the competition *cough*Nordstrom's*cough* out of Crabtree.

There were pictures of a new food court looking thing a while ago, with some Lifestyle center-ish outdoor seating on the top of the parking deck. The only outdoor seating currently in place there is the Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks on the Glenwood side, and Paneras on the creek side.

The Best Buy's layout feels more open with its shorter CD and DVD fixtures, probably for security purposes. The layout is hard to get used to with every aisle at an angle. The Magnolia Home theater section is impressive, but with all the problems in the world, I refuse to spend that much money on a home theater. The parking in front of the service center was pretty full, but I parked between Belk and B&N with out any problem around 7-8ish last Wednesday. The remaining ex-Toys R Us space between Best Buy and B&N still has signs from the fixture sale there. I don't know if they're trying to land a new tenant, or encourage B&N to expand.

I haven't been to Pleasant Valley since the Best Buy move, so I don't know how that center is doing.

Edited by ncwebguy

I haven't been to Pleasant Valley since the Best Buy move, so I don't know how that center is doing.

The best buy leaves a big empty hole, but there are still other slots that looked to me to get decent business. BedBath&Beyond, Marshalls and Ross are the big three anchors there now.