Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

Maybe the deck will provide 220 *additional* spaces to the ones it is taking away vs. only "containing" 220 spaces.

The story says the deck will be done by *October*. That seems ambitious, but I guess they are only drilling into the ground and assembling pieces on top. Will they provide a service center-rest of the mall pedestrian connection?

Why are the restaurant spaces set back, not flush, with the rest of the mall, or even B&N? To me, it would look a lot better with the second floor of B&N operating like the round entrances at Southpoint and TTC. The "raised walkway" would have B&N, the three restaurants, the Belk entrance, the outdoor elevator, the mall entrance, Cheesecake Factory, etc. from east to west.

Having the whole service center be multi-story would be nice... maybe that will happen in 2017? Then they can lose the existing "straight to the top" ramp behind the bus stop and replace that with more parking in an extended deck.

The whole crabtree area is going to be on stilts before it's over...

Maybe if in the near future they could build a NEW Belk's on top of this NEW parking deck? Then slowly tear down/gut the existing Belk, like they did the old Hect's. Then eventually everything could be up on stilts/above parking, above the flood waters and expanded at the same time? Yes, I know very, very, very, wishful thinking! :dontknow:

What do people here think will fill the three restaurant spaces?

They will probably be "high end of the middle" chains like P.F. Chang's and Cheesecake Factory.

Personally, I would like to see a high end seafood place -- McCormic and Schmits (sp?) or Landry's, moreso than Bonefish.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a Maggianos end up in the mix, as the Southpoint location seems to do well.

Whatever ends up there, please don't give us another Chhaammppss (I don't remember which extra letter they add).

Maybe if in the near future they could build a NEW Belk's on top of this NEW parking deck? Then slowly tear down/gut the existing Belk, like they did the old Hect's. Then eventually everything could be up on stilts/above parking, above the flood waters and expanded at the same time? Yes, I know very, very, very, wishful thinking! :dontknow:
The won't be a new Hudson Belk anytime soon. he one they have is too ugly to die . :rolleyes:

As I've said before, Belk is intent on squeezing every possible dollar out of that store with as little investment as possible. Putting those reataurants next to their upper level entrances will definately help their sales go up even more.

The won't be a new Hudson Belk anytime soon. he one they have is too ugly to die . :rolleyes:

As I've said before, Belk is intent on squeezing every possible dollar out of that store with as little investment as possible. Putting those reataurants next to their upper level entrances will definately help their sales go up even more.

I want to know why that Belk has not had its exterior remodeled like Belk SouthPark

If Crabtree Valley Mall were trully interested in expansion and becoming more competitive, I think that they should have fought harder to lure a more upscale retailer like Nordstrom or maybe even Neiman Marcus, to occupy the old Lord&Taylor space, instead of allowing Belks to just offer us "more of the same."

The bandaid approach will only work for so long.

Edited by RALNATIVE

At least 1 restaurant is going to be McCormick and Schmick's-a lease has been signed. This restaurant is completely over rated. Hopefully 42nd Street will stand strong.

I knew one of the signed leases would be from M&S. I bet the others are Mortons and Maggionos. What will this do to the restuarant at the soliel center? :dontknow:

I want to know why that Belk has not had its exterior remodeled like Belk SouthPark
Well, for one thing, the only expansion of sales space Hudson Belk Crabtree has had over the years was into a previously unused third floor back in the early '80s. It's never had a reason to expand its store "footprint" and, as such, never had a justifiable reason to renovate its exterior. Also, Crabtree has never had a comprehensive exterior renovation like SouthPark had a few years ago. Either of those things (or both in tandem) can make a store update. Edited by StevenRocks

I had a chance to visit Crabtree over the weekend. The interior is looking a little tired, but the stores are doing pretty well inside, including several new ones that weren't there when I visited last.

I figured out why there's still a little of the old Toys R Us left to develop. Best Buy took over the Pier 1 Imports space and ran its store to the end of the Convenience Center instead of staying in the middle of the center like Toys R Us was. That doesn't make it particuarally unique or impressive, but it does seem to work pretty well as configured. I'd imagine the updated Barnes & Noble and Old Navy will have similar architectural details, which ties in somewhat with the details on the soon-to expand parking deck.

Speaking of the deck, it's so barren at the top that a little mid-market noshing might make it feel a little less lonely. The post office et al will see a little sunlight even with the deck built out, but it's not going to be pretty.

Inside the mall, Hudson Belk has added a fourth (!) location to its main store, soon-to-be-men's store and Clinique kiosk: a MAC cosmetics boutique in part of the old Golf America space. Called MAC @ Belk, it's a good idea and it places the brand where more young people would buy it than on Belk's main floor.

It doesn't look like Hudson Belk will be doing much remodeling to Lord & Taylor's old entrance for the men's store. Don't expect much inside the store either, other than the obligitary darkening of carpets and woods. It's not going to be very creative, but it'll at least make that part of the mall less dead-feeling, and that's got to help.

In the main store, I hope Hudson Belk updates the unremodeled portion of the men's store towards the Glenwood side for the new women's section. It's looking a bit long in the tooth, and since it was a rather low-budget renconfiguration in the first place, it hasn't aged well.

Edited by StevenRocks

Once the new addition is complete and assuming they redo the service center similar to the Best Buy, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire mall gets an exterior facelift.

I still love Crabtree. It could be that I live only 5 minutes from there, but they usually have everything I need when I go to look. I only venture to Southpointe for Nordstrom.

• 5 weeks later...

wow, did not realize New City scored this project. They are getting in the mix more and more with bigger projects....I know two of those guys and am hoping they somehow land some residential stuff too....they rehabbed a big house in Oakwood is all I know of at Boundary and Bloodworth (1876 Stronach House if interested)

I have several pictures of Hudson Belk and a picture of the old Lord & Taylor at Crabtree I can post (unfortunately at this time they'll be of the same quality as the pics I just posted on the Northgate Mall thread). It's amazing how plain Lord and Taylor appeared on the outside despite supposedly being so upscale. I wonder how it will look whenever it eventually becomes fully occupied...

It's amazing how plain Lord and Taylor appeared on the outside despite supposedly being so upscale...
Compared with the other May stores increasingly elaborate exterior architecture over time, most Lord & Taylor stores are pretty plain. But they developed a signature look that was rendered with good materials, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Is the new part of Hudson Belk open yet?

I don't think the Hudson Belk Mens store is open yet, at least I haven't heard any mention of it.

No, you can see the construction they're doing to get it ready. Also the men's dept in Belks is a bit, well, hectic-looking. Some boxes laying around, big markdowns on some clearance stuff (to get it out of the way), etc. Moving that dept will not be a fun task, to say the least.

I don't think the Hudson Belk Mens store is open yet, at least I haven't heard any mention of it. Here are the pictures:

According to employees I talked with on Friday, it was supposed to move overnight Saturday...have not been there yet to see if it did in fact move....