Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

Wow...that was a fast move. The N&O article on the new Belk Men's Store just opening: http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/571898.html

Interesting one shopper's complaint at the bottom of the article mentions it seems mostly business attire. :huh: That doesn't bode too well, to me. I was hoping that casual and Young men's fashions would benefit the most from having an enlarged space. They already had more than enough selection for the 40+ crowd as it was. :P

But I look forward to checking it out soon and seeing it for myself. :shades:

New logo? whats it look like? improvement or ugly? lol
I think it's awful. They've increaed the size of the "elk" at the expense of the cartouche

post-1659-1178669958_thumb.jpg

Interesting one shopper's complaint at the bottom of the article mentions it seems mostly business attire. :huh: That doesn't bode too well, to me. I was hoping that casual and Young men's fashions would benefit the most from having an enlarged space. They already had more than enough selection for the 40+ crowd as it was. :P

But I look forward to checking it out soon and seeing it for myself. :shades:

Thing is, Hudson Belk has tried expanding Young Men's several times over the years at Crabtree. It doesn't sell. That's not to say that it would never sell, but it's been pretty much a wash every time they've tried it. Maybe they'll try it again here eventually. Edited by StevenRocks

Thing is, Hudson Belk has tried expanding Young Men's several times over the years at Crabtree. It doesn't sell. That's not to say that it would never sell, but it's been pretty much a wash every time they've tried it. Maybe they'll try it again here eventually.

Well, good point. I guess I didn't mean all the young stuff...if they at least expand the young professional men's (Claiborne, Calvin Klein, Perry Ellis, etc) stuff, then I'll be happy. I was always frustrated that part was cramped into a tiny corner, yet they had tons of room for ties and tacky golf shirts. :D

(Granted, I usually can't afford those lines unless they're on Sale...but definitely like them when I can.)

Interestingly, with this now on the second floor, all the places I've ever got clothing at Crabtree are now on the top floor...Belk Men's, Levis,, Gap, Banana, Express, Macy's. Which basically leaves Lindt as about the only place on the first floor I care about. :lol:

Edited by RaleighRob

Interestingly, with this now on the second floor, all the places I've ever got clothing at Crabtree are now on the top floor...Belk Men's, Levis,, Gap, Banana, Express, Macy's. Which basically leaves Lindt as about the only place on the first floor I care about. :lol:

So the next time the mall floods you are in good shape :shades:

Godiva and/or the candy store in the food court can take care of the chocolate fix! The candy store even carries a few Lindt products!

I want to see the Mens' store, but probably won't for a couple of weeks.

In other "mens' store" news, does anyone shop in the old store on the second floor between Gap and Hudson Belk? I think it is (was?) Varsity Menswear or something? They had less than mall hours, a door you had to open to enter (as opposed to just walking in) and seemingly nothing but suits, etc. It looks like it opened the day Crabtree did, and hasn't been touched since.

My crabtree stores are mostly 2nd floor -- Macy's, EB Games/Game Stop, the occasional Brooks Bros, Apple store after new product annoucements -- though I seem to wind up in Crate and Barrel somewhat more often lately. There aren't many "guy shops" on the first floor other than gagety stuff (Sharper Image, Discovery Store) or athletic apparel (Foot Locker, Champs, Oakley, etc.) Well I guess Ambercrombie/Hollister, but I've "grown out" of that.

In other "mens' store" news, does anyone shop in the old store on the second floor between Gap and Hudson Belk? I think it is (was?) Varsity Menswear or something? They had less than mall hours, a door you had to open to enter (as opposed to just walking in) and seemingly nothing but suits, etc. It looks like it opened the day Crabtree did, and hasn't been touched since.

I've peaked in once...it's not just a "general suit store", but seems to have a niche that is hard to explain. I guess "Country Club-ish style" would be the best way to describe it, for lack of a better word. :dontknow:

There aren't many "guy shops" on the first floor other than gagety stuff (Sharper Image, Discovery Store) or athletic apparel (Foot Locker, Champs, Oakley, etc.) Well I guess Ambercrombie/Hollister, but I've "grown out" of that.
Well, yeah...the first floor does have Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, and Buckle, but I guess that just goes into how different folk define the difference between a "men's department" and a "boys' department". :lol: Edited by RaleighRob

Oh yeah, I shop at Varsity Men's Wear from time to time. They have to tie with Hudson Belk for getting the most out of that original store design budget. :lol:

The staff is really helpful, and although it's quite traditional and a bit pricey, it's worth it if you want clothes that are a little more timeless than you can get in other stores.

More changes for Crabtree, this time inside: Crabtree Valley Mall provides update on expansion

"Near Macy's department store on the lower level, six existing stores will be replaced by a major new retailer, also to be announced later."

Six store spaces would seem to be almost the entire purple section:

Lower-level-mall-map.gif

That's a pretty big store. H&M? Full-sized Crate & Barrel?

Edited by rooster8

This is pretty cool. The N&O also has a story about expansion but it does not include the new sotre near Macy. Also the quote next to artist rendering is incorrect :dontknow: I hope it is an H&M beacuse my wife would do flips :thumbsup:

More changes for Crabtree, this time inside: Crabtree Valley Mall provides update on expansion

"Near Macy's department store on the lower level, six existing stores will be replaced by a major new retailer, also to be announced later."

Lower-level-mall-map.gif

It looks like the new restaurants for the mall include McCormick & Schmicks, Brio, and Flemings Prime Steakhouse-all upscale chain restaurants. While not a big fan of chains, I have been to Brio and M & S and can say they were pretty good. Should be a nice addition to the mall.

Lower-level-mall-map.gif

I have alwasy felt like this end of the mall was less active than the Belk end, so I imagine the little stores here struggle some. I began to wonder why....the path between the two main entries, the food court and the center of the mall has the most foot traffic being the central physical axis.....but looking at the parking arrangement, the Macy's end has much less parking, at least in my opinion the Belk end is easier to access.....Steven Rocks, any ideas on how parking location on the exterior of the mall effects the success of mercants on the interior? Is it a simple how far people are willing to walk equation? This seems to apply to open air shopping too...Thanks.

I have alwasy felt like this end of the mall was less active than the Belk end, so I imagine the little stores here struggle some. I began to wonder why....the path between the two main entries, the food court and the center of the mall has the most foot traffic being the central physical axis.....but looking at the parking arrangement, the Macy's end has much less parking, at least in my opinion the Belk end is easier to access.....Steven Rocks, any ideas on how parking location on the exterior of the mall effects the success of mercants on the interior? Is it a simple how far people are willing to walk equation? This seems to apply to open air shopping too...Thanks.
The strongest parts of Crabtree are the mall corridors between Hudson Belk and the Food Court. Between Center Court and Promotional Court is really strong on both levels, and the lower level from Center Court to Hudson Belk is pretty good too. Not so much on the upper level in that same area, but it's a lot better than it used to be with Sephora and The Cheesecake Factory serving as draws.

Once you pass the Food Court towards Hecht's (I didn't make a mistake, it's not that great as a Macy's :( ), things get progressively weaker, moreso on the lower level than the upper.

You have to consider the lack of parking on that end and the fact that people usually give out of steam walking past that point, to be sure, but it's also never been merchandised well. Other than Crate & Barrel, there's not a lot that makes people excited about that end of the mall. Macy's, strangely, isn't much of a draw. Neither was Hecht's.

I hope whatever's coming in is a true regional draw and unique, because it's not going to work if it isn't. That goes for whatever eventually will fill the bottom half of Lord & Taylor. To be sure, if nothing else cool came in, Crabtree would still be better than 85% of the malls in America, but it's not time to rest on your laurels when you've got tens of thousands of square feet to fill.

* Crate & Barrel is one of the greatest chains in the history of retail (I can go in there blindfolded and pick out something awesome)

* Golf shirts are not "tacky", oversized t-shirts and sweatshirts with the name of the store in 3-inch lettering are.

* The Varsity Men's Wear, Hudson Belk, Merle Norman, and the Hallmark store are, I believe, the only stores in their original locations from the mall's opening.

* The Varsity is a great men's store. If you want nice business attire that will last, you pretty much are limited to the Varsity and Brooks Brothers. Harolds stuff doesn't hold up and department store stuff is still bland as all get-out. (Jos. A Bank stuff is CHEAPly made, but looks great)

* I think this restaurant row is such a missed opportunity! However brick & mortar retail is really suffering these days. Internet sales and big boxes are killing these places. I think still think they should have torn down all of that plaza and built Best Buy as an anchor to the outdoor street, put in a large B&N, and many restaurants. They could even put condos in above the shops. I truly think some people would live there.

* I think this restaurant row is such a missed opportunity! However brick & mortar retail is really suffering these days. Internet sales and big boxes are killing these places. I think still think they should have torn down all of that plaza and built Best Buy as an anchor to the outdoor street, put in a large B&N, and many restaurants. They could even put condos in above the shops. I truly think some people would live there.

Was this the jist of your proposed mall renovation? Did it orient things like Southpoints outdoor area except say BestBuy would be kind of where Southpoint Cinema is? I think your idea is a better design for sure...I am not sure the piece by piece approach at Crabtree is going to end up with a nice cohesive feeling end product.

Was this the jist of your proposed mall renovation? Did it orient things like Southpoints outdoor area except say BestBuy would be kind of where Southpoint Cinema is? I think your idea is a better design for sure...I am not sure the piece by piece approach at Crabtree is going to end up with a nice cohesive feeling end product.

Of course, we're all preaching to the choir here. That's almost exactly what I meant, except that Best Buy or a hotel or big Crate & Barrel, or even a movie theatre could be the Organized Living/Urban Outfitters end anchor position. The Belks would be off to the side like the Southpoint theater is.

Hey Dan, how did you hear about Fleming's, Brio, and M&S being the restaurants??? I had to laugh when I read today's Retailing column where she stated that she's baffled by what the actual restaurant names are.

CrabtreeShell.jpg

Hey Dan, how did you hear about Fleming's, Brio, and M&S being the restaurants??? I had to laugh when I read today's Retailing column where she stated that she's baffled by what the actual restaurant names are.

Edited by dmccall

I had known some time about the M&S-sources had informed me but I originally thought the steak place may have been Morton's. I believe the TBJ had a story last week or 2 weeks ago. I have also heard rumors of a Palm coming to Raleigh.

I read in the paper yesterday The Discovery Channel Store will be closing all of their retail locations, including the Crabtree Store. How odd last month I actually wandered in there and bought something. Oh well...

I'm not exactly surprised. Ever since they bought out The Nature Company...threw out most of the stuff that was actually related to "nature", and turned it into a family-version of Sharper Image, the chain's gone downhill real fast. They'll have a few interesting items every now and then, but it was never as good as The Nature Company was. -_-