Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

Anyone notice if Lord & Taylor has started their going out of business sales yet? I noticed an article in the paper stating that Federated has extended their leasing option 5 years until January 31, 2011, which at best means they could convert the store to another brand, or lease to another department store, or they could simply let the store stay empty for a while....there's very little chance that the store would stay L&T though....

This situation is puzzling. I think Federated is trying to keep competition out of Crabtree. While it might help Macy's, it hurts the mall.

Crabtree deserves the right to move past the May Company era. They tied up two anchors for years, one of which was a disastrous albatross that pissed off many customers with crappy service and even crappier merchandise. That would be L&T.

They need to release the space back to the mall so that whatever happens to the space will be in the best interest of the mall and not just Federated.

Now I'm CONFUSED!!! A cousin I have works at the mall and she says the management of that store won't say if they're closing or not. I thought it was official?
Under May Company, the closing was official, but now that Federated owns the rights to the lease, they're being cagey. I don't know what they're trying to pull, but I don't like the sound of it at all.

I've noticed some changes at the L&T website. On the state map under store locations NC is no longer highlighted as having a store location, yet if you type in an area zipcode, say 27601, the store still comes up. Quite interesting....

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/common/locato...LT&cm_id=hdr_sl

Maybe Federated plans on keeping the store open until Hechts becomes Macy's, then the Lord & Taylor space will become a 2nd Macy's, like a Homes or Mens store....

Maybe Federated plans on keeping the store open until Hechts becomes Macy's, then the Lord & Taylor space will become a 2nd Macy's, like a Homes or Mens store....
It's possible. But I don't know if they'd do it. It's a busy Hecht's, but is it busy enough to be a Macy's double-header?

On a side note, it appears that Lord & Taylor is selling merchandise on their website now. That's a good sign. It could possibnly have a future as a chain if there's e-commerce going on.

Edited by StevenRocks

On a side note, it appears that Lord & Taylor is selling merchandise on their website now. That's a good sign. It could possibnly have a future as a chain if there's e-commerce going on.

I wonder if Belk will ever start doing that [er, again]... besides fine china and stuff lol.

Interesting about the L&T store locator though. Dillard's is the same way for Eastland Mall in Charlotte i think.

I wonder if Belk will ever start doing that [er, again]... besides fine china and stuff lol.
Less than likely. Belk shoppers haven't taken to the internet like its competition's.

The New York Times is suggesting that Lord & Taylor will remain a part of Federated for the forseeable future, though I'm sure it will be put up for sale eventually. The best scenario for Crabtree IMO is if the store stays open and is bought by another company. Under Federated, it doesn't have much of a future.

I wish Belk had a better website, but I guess they feel they don't need it yet. As for L&T, it looks like they may be there for a little bit so I wouldn't hold your breath on any changes soon. I don't think converting it into additional Macy's space is needed. I would really like to see something new eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time at Crabtree last week--the first time I've done so in a long while. It was remarkably busy during the afternoon--moreso than it was the last time I wandered about. Have any of you frequent shoppers noticed an increase in visitors or did I just hit it on a good day.

I never thought I'd say this, but I rather like that mall and the potential of the surrounding area. I have a feeling that Crabtree Valley is destined for great things. I hope the cards are played right and the developers really do some cool stuff with the area.

What the hell happened to PF Changs. Last few times I went there it was busy but not too bad. Last Saturday we went and were disappointed to find a 2.5 hour wait for the dining room and an alleged 3 hour wait in the bar section. Holy crap!! Crabtree was blowing up. Not literally of course. We ended up settling for NeoChina, which is actually a pretty good restaurant... though I was really in the mood for PF Changs, and we didn't feel like driving to SouthPointe (which had a mere 1 hour wait according to the person we talked to on the phone).

Edited by NorffCarolina

I spent some time at Crabtree last week--the first time I've done so in a long while. It was remarkably busy during the afternoon--moreso than it was the last time I wandered about. Have any of you frequent shoppers noticed an increase in visitors or did I just hit it on a good day.

I never thought I'd say this, but I rather like that mall and the potential of the surrounding area. I have a feeling that Crabtree Valley is destined for great things. I hope the cards are played right and the developers really do some cool stuff with the area.

They're definately on an upswing. They have the best tenant mix and location in the city.

With Toys R Us closing, that Convenience Center is toast. I think we'll see a substantially better building in its place.

Edited by StevenRocks

I guess that's just proof of how relevant Crabtree still is.

For a while, even people from Raleigh would drive to Southpoint because it was the newest, latest, and greatest. As the novelty wore off, it became clear that Southpoint wasn't worth the drive.

Nope, Crabtree isn't going anywhere any time soon.

...What the hell happened to PF Changs. Last few times I went there it was busy but not too bad. Last Saturday we went and were disappointed to find a 2.5 hour wait for the dining room and an alleged 3 hour wait in the bar section. Holy crap!! Crabtree was blowing up. ....

Not that it is a direct subsititute (and NeoChina was a good alternate choice, btw), but Pei Wei is PF Chang's fast casual arm. I wrote a review of my really good quick meal there. They are in Brier Creek and are getting ready to build in front of Cary Town Center.

As far as Crabtree goes, I still consider it the best. I went to Southpoint a few times and realized the only thing they have that Crabtree doesn't is: Maggiano's, Nordstrom, Apple, and Organized Living. Crabtree is getting Apple soon (I don't have one and am happy with Windows, anyway), and the OL chain folded, unfortunately. This leaves me with a whopping two things over there that are not worth fighting I-40 more than a couple times a year for.

I live really close to Crabtree and wrote a piece on how to get in and out of there in a snap. One thing I forgot to add, is that the best way to get out of the back parking deck is to cross the bridge, turn left, turn left onto Crabtree Blvd, turn right on Creedmoor, and turn as you need. This is WAY faster than fighting to get onto Blue Ridge and Lead Mine.

They're definately on an upswing. They have the best tenant mix and location in the city.

With Toys R Us closing, that Convenience Center is toast. I think we'll see a substantially better building in its place.

Most likely mentioned, but I am sure it will be turned into something that is outside like Southpoint and what TTC has done. It drives more people to stay later, therefore, driving more traffic past 8:00 and even later than the mall is opened.

Yet another twist in the Lord & Taylor saga....

Federated to Sell Lord & Taylor by Year-End

http://www.heraldsun.com/tools/printfriend...?StoryID=688881

I wonder if this means anything in regards to Federated's 5 year extention on that lease at Crabtree....if the store is closed before someone buys Lord & Taylor out then does that location not get included in the buyout since L&T is no longer operating there?

Not that it is a direct subsititute (and NeoChina was a good alternate choice, btw), but Pei Wei is PF Chang's fast casual arm. I wrote a review of my really good quick meal there. They are in Brier Creek and are getting ready to build in front of Cary Town Center.

As far as Crabtree goes, I still consider it the best. I went to Southpoint a few times and realized the only thing they have that Crabtree doesn't is: Maggiano's, Nordstrom, Apple, and Organized Living. Crabtree is getting Apple soon (I don't have one and am happy with Windows, anyway), and the OL chain folded, unfortunately. This leaves me with a whopping two things over there that are not worth fighting I-40 more than a couple times a year for.

I live really close to Crabtree and wrote a piece on how to get in and out of there in a snap. One thing I forgot to add, is that the best way to get out of the back parking deck is to cross the bridge, turn left, turn left onto Crabtree Blvd, turn right on Creedmoor, and turn as you need. This is WAY faster than fighting to get onto Blue Ridge and Lead Mine.

I've been to the Pei Wei in Charlotte, I liked it a lot.

I agree about Crabtree, I think it's the best. It's got that "old mall" charm that the others can't live up to, it doesn't look fake you know?

Yet another twist in the Lord & Taylor saga....

Federated to Sell Lord & Taylor by Year-End

http://www.heraldsun.com/tools/printfriend...?StoryID=688881

I wonder if this means anything in regards to Federated's 5 year extention on that lease at Crabtree....if the store is closed before someone buys Lord & Taylor out then does that location not get included in the buyout since L&T is no longer operating there?

I think Fed. will still own the space

when southpark lost sears, didn't they use the space to add a bunch of very high end stores? tiffany, louis vuitton, etc?? I have not been there in years, and truth be told, I hate shopping, and malls all together, but I thought I heard this somewhere... could be a serious possibility for crabtree. I had this fantasy of IKEA moving in... but i know they need more space than L&T has... still is a dream of mine that we could get one round here.

when southpark lost sears, didn't they use the space to add a bunch of very high end stores? tiffany, louis vuitton, etc?? I have not been there in years, and truth be told, I hate shopping, and malls all together, but I thought I heard this somewhere... could be a serious possibility for crabtree. I had this fantasy of IKEA moving in... but i know they need more space than L&T has... still is a dream of mine that we could get one round here.

Actually, originally they [southPark] had planned on keeping Sears and possibly remodeling it. The upscale wing, where Nordstrom is and Neiman Marcus is coming and all the shops like Tiffany, LV, Burberry, etc are is over and old part of parking garage and mostly over space that used to be a parking lot.

Where Sears used to be, came a Dick's Sporting Goods (originally supposed to be a Galyan's) and a few restaurants - McCormick's, Morton's, Cali Pizza Kitchen and an upscale bookstore called Joseph Beth... The wing leading to where Sears was was redeveloped into a "teen wing" (Abercrombie, Urban Outfitters, American Eagle, Hollister, etc)