Crabtree Valley Mall

DigitalSky

If I am not mistaken the road that is being referred to,(located in front of the Kidds Hill Plaza), already exist. It's called Crabtree Valley Lane,(or something like that). It is located between the K H P and the city trail and Crabtree Creek, right at the tree line. I believe.. :unsure:

The plan being referred to would have turned Crabtree Valley Avenue and Glenwood Avenue into somewhat of a one-way pair around Crabtree Valley Mall. going whole-hog and making it a full one-way pair makes a great deal of sense to an armchair civil engineer like myself, so I wonder why it never happened. Too expensive? Perhaps it would be too confusing to out-of-towners.

One-way pairs carry more traffic per lane than anything but a freeway, regardless of signal spacing, due to flexibility with timing of traffic signals. At present, Glenwood Avenue is 8 lanes wide, plus as many as 3 turn lanes. Imagine how different the Crabtree Valley area would feel with just three traffic lanes on either side of the mall!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Crabtree for the first time in about ten years on Saturday. It's a good mall, but it really needs an upscale anchor to replace the L&T. Why doesn't Saks or Nordstrom open there? Crabtree was so crowded and is so close to nice neighborhoods that surely an upscale anchor there would do fine, despite store duplication.

That food court is HUGE!

"Aren't they considering doing a new food court or redoing it to incorporate with the conversion of the L&T?"

There are drawings out there to suggest this, as discussed earlier in this thread.

"Parts of the renovation will involve a redesigned food court and new mall entry that will enhance the pedestrian experience." I don't know what this "pedestrian experience" they are talking about, unless they mean coming over from the Galleria.

Edited by ncwebguy

• 2 weeks later...

...never been to CVM but love reading about it. I like it when these older malls can kick it to be better than the newer ones. I wish McAlister in greenville could have survived. Want to say that the Lord & Taylor logo is the best ever ......only thing ever any better was the old John Wannamaker logo ...something about that cursive swaying!

Among the larger Belk stores, Eastland (Charlotte), Richland Mall (Columbia), Tanglewood Mall (Roanoke), Four Seasons (Greensboro), Regency Square (Jacksonville) and Oak Hollow Mall (High Point) are a little weaker than the rest of the pack. But none of those stores is underperforming to my knowledge, they're just not top performers. Most of the truly troubled large Belks have been divested over the last 10 years or so. Most of Belk's smaller stores have good sales per squre foot.

Among other Southeastern department stores, McRae's and Parisian tend to do well in the larger cities, Proffit's owns East Tennessee, Dillard's rules a lot of midsized markets, and Macy's is strong at Lenox, Riverchase, Perimeter, Aventura and Dadeland malls.

When it was still Rich's at Perimeter, it was consistently the chain's highest performing store. Perimeter, in my opinion, just screams "upscale and casual wealthy."

...never been to CVM but love reading about it. I like it when these older malls can kick it to be better than the newer ones. I wish McAlister in greenville could have survived. Want to say that the Lord & Taylor logo is the best ever ......only thing ever any better was the old John Wannamaker logo ...something about that cursive swaying!
That's good to hear, Romania. It's always nice to have another mall fan on board.

• 3 weeks later...