New Subforums

Spartan

In which forums would you participate?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. In which forum would you participate the most?

• Columbus
    • Augusta
    • Macon
  2. 2. Which forum combination of forums would you most like to see?

• Columbus, Augusta, Macon
    • Columbus and Macon
    • Columbus and Augusta
    • Columbus
    • Other (Please specify)

I am trying to guage what kind of response we would get if a new subforum or two was created. I want to know which ones you would actively post in, not which ones would be cool to have.

This is NOT a guarantee that a new forum would be created.

Obviously I consider Columbus to be the strongest area. I have mixed opinions on the other areas.

This poll will be closed in 1 week! (11/15/2005) at midnight

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'll try my hardest to contribute to any and all GA forums, I would probably contribute the most to Macon or Columbus as a single city (I voted Macon at the top).

For the second question, I picked the one with all three because they all have something in common as they are thethree "Fall Line" cities, a desuignation that I have heard applied to them. "Columbus and Macon" would be my second choice, as they are the two most active cities here outside of Atlanta.

Columbus and Augusta probably wouldn't work together because you are skipping out over Macon. It just doesn't seem geographically contiguous to me.

You misunderstand. These would be separate forums, not combined.

When you said which combination of forums would I want as that second question, I was thinking you wanted to see if a combination of a few cities would work as opposed to a forum just about one city.

Otherwise, I don't know what part of my previous post was wrong. I was trying to give my opinion on both questions.

I mean which combination of subforums should we create? There will not be a forum with multiple cities in it.

In that case, I would say Columbus and Macon probably.

Augusta would probably come later.

--------

On a side note, I REALLY wish Savannah had more representation here. A subforum for it would be nice, but there is nowhere near enough support for it.

Why on Earth do any of these cities need seperate forums? They all get very little traffic anyway. BUT, if I had a choice....Augusta-Evans, being by far the second largest city in Georgia, would be mine. If you are going to have one, then might as well have all three though (Augusta, Macon and Columbus).

Just a thought....

Maybe we can have something similar to NC's Traid area.

The Piedmont Triad

Columbus, Augusta and Macon

and then

Coastal Georgia

Savannah (St Simons Island), Brunswich (Jekyll Island) and St Mary's (Cumberland Island)

Maybe that's too much.....but it sounds nice.

I'd agree with this breakdown, but I'd call it the Fall-Line Cities Forum, not Piedmont Triad. After all, they're going to name the highway through them the "Fall Line Freeway."

I'd agree with this breakdown, but I'd call it the Fall-Line Cities Forum, not Piedmont Triad. After all, they're going to name the highway through them the "Fall Line Freeway."

Yeah, that seems a more logical option.

As for Coastal GA, I don't think there's enough support/interest for that yet. SavannahGa is the only forumer I can think of from that area.

If you talk to som erandom person in GA, would they know what you mean when you say 'Fall line cities' ?

Many would understand. Granted not all of them would but most, especially those who live within several miles of the cities would understand what you are talking about when you say "Do you know what the Fall Line cities are?"

That's how I was taught to regonize them when I had Georgia History a few years ago.

As some have said, it's kind of similar to calling GSA the Upstate Metro or Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point the NC Triad, but it's not exactly as official as those names.

Perhaps, but those areas are much more related to each other than these cities in GA.

I realize that. I wasn't trying to say that the Fall Line cities are as closely relatedas the Upstate metros or the Triad, but rather that they shared a common name used to reference them. Many people in GA would know what you mean by the "Fall Line Cities", and those who don't know could probably piece it together if they know what the Fall Line is and where it is located. The Fall Line, in many respects, serves as a geographical divide between North and South/Coastal GA.

I'd like to say I think that Columbus would probably make the best subforum if a Fall Line Cities idea doesn't work out.

What about 'Middle Georgia' ? or does that only refer the the Macon vicinity? I've never been really clear on where the GA regions are (North, Middle, South, etc)

There are a variety of ways of dividing Georgia up into regions.

travelmap.jpg

If you string together the Presidential Pathways, Historic Heartland, and Classic South regions, you get a pretty good idea of what Middle GA is.

This next one I took from a job search site and edited it a little to show where Columbus, Macon, and Augusta are.

This one gives you a rough idea of what Middle/Central GA is (just look at the light green areas). Though whether or not a couple of counties along the border are in Middle GA is debatable, it still give you a good idea.

GeorgiaRegions.jpg

I do think that a middle GA one could be supported, as it would link together these three cities.

^True, I see you point. They'd probably be covered best by their own subforums.

I think the general consensus here is that a Columbus one could be supported. An Augusta one would probably be another good choice seeing as a few South Carolina forumers also seem to have things to say about it, not just Georgia ones.

Any final thoughts on the forums? The poll will be closing soon.

I'd like to reiterate what I said in my last post. I think Augusta and Columbus could be supported. We could do that and then let Macon grow in activity and we'll give it one someday.

Who knows? Perhaps we could get a Savannah one sometime (when the activity, which right now is very little, picks up).

I still don't think either is warranted... Just compare the new posts on any given day on the Georgia page to the posts on some of the more busy forums, like NC cities, Atlanta, and Florida cities... I'm excited if theres 1-2 posts to read when I come here, whereas I usually have 10 threads to check up on in the same amount of time in some of the other city forums...

If we think it will help to pick up the traffic, then go for it, but if it's for organization sake, I think it'll just make the information even less accessible, and people that may normally see these threads (ie people on the way to the Atlanta forums) will be less likely to check out a fairly dead subforum.

Archived