Another bad business move by COT

stjoe

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee...ss/13115012.htm

Taxes being rasied. This will attract companies to Tally :shok:

Don't be do negative! Tallahassee officials realize that costs are going up and to make ends meet, taxes must go up as well, its the way of our economy constant inflation.....

This baby hike will not dissuade any corps from locating here, I dont believe, probably we have lower business taxes than lots of other larger more sucessful cities.....

Plus. Tallahassee is on the edge, we are breaking out, developing our downtown., improving our mass transit our roads... and luring companies (turbocor) and the semiconductor site.....

absolutely! I think the potential is there and for so long this strip has been neglected while development along other roads has thrived. On Gaines and Lake Bradford we actually have the opportunity to start a new theme. I think the idea of tropical would be perfect for the location of this road between the two universities and so near the capitol... it would be a reminder for those people who visit us from the Tropical areas of the state of their homes... kinda a little piece of the other Florida in Tallahassee.

absolutely! I think the potential is there and for so long this strip has been neglected while development along other roads has thrived. On Gaines and Lake Bradford we actually have the opportunity to start a new theme. I think the idea of tropical would be perfect for the location of this road between the two universities and so near the capitol... it would be a reminder for those people who visit us from the Tropical areas of the state of their homes... kinda a little piece of the other Florida in Tallahassee.

agreed if the palms dotn die during our somewhat chilly winters

We should get the native palms to plant... they seem to do fine in our climate.

if that is we have a winter this year.!

im getting sick of this hot weather....

this weekend supposed to be nicer.. but then another hot week after. :cry:

just to clear up something about these occupational license taxes... its a small fee that companies, or business persons must pay to be able to operate legally. Like say the barber, he pays $50 for a license that lasts probably 10 yrs... the increase would make the incense $55 or something. I'm not sure how long the license lasts or how much they cost, this is all hypothetical.

just to clear up something about these occupational license taxes... its a small fee that companies, or business persons must pay to be able to operate legally. Like say the barber, he pays $50 for a license that lasts probably 10 yrs... the increase would make the incense $55 or something. I'm not sure how long the license lasts or how much they cost, this is all hypothetical.

yea. so that not much at all...... go tally!

i heard my econ teachers laugh at tallahassee stagnation caused by lacking revenue.... i hate taxes, but i am smart enough to know that its required. In order for taxes to decrease or, at least not increse, private investors would have to donate required elements of society. AKA.. toll roads. I like not having to scrounge around for a 1.25 just to get from a to b. Infill is fun for cars...

Do some research on European economies right now.

The only success story in the whole lot is Ireland and it was built on lowering taxes.

I will grant you for many this is a philosophocal debate...likely one that doesn't belong here. But I will state again....the only reason Tally got that recent Canda Co. was because the MAG LAB was a one of a kind deal that attracted them. They came here BECAUSE of that and some tax breaks the city gave them.

As far as attracting other companies....what will attract them to Tally? Right now, Tally is not attracting businesses with good paying jobs. I don't think this helps.

If they pushed for FSU and FAMU to have their own research parks....and control over their own research parks...you might see some jobs created. But until then, red tape galore.

The only success story in the whole lot is Ireland and it was built on lowering taxes.

I will grant you for many this is a philosophocal debate...likely one that doesn't belong here. But I will state again....the only reason Tally got that recent Canda Co. was because the MAG LAB was a one of a kind deal that attracted them. They came here BECAUSE of that and some tax breaks the city gave them.

As far as attracting other companies....what will attract them to Tally? Right now, Tally is not attracting businesses with good paying jobs. I don't think this helps.

If they pushed for FSU and FAMU to have their own research parks....and control over their own research parks...you might see some jobs created. But until then, red tape galore.

leave the board...... you dont know what youre talking about.

Let's look at the issue. Taxes have not been raised since 1995. It hasn't even been voted on yet, although it could pass.

Let's look at the percentage it will increase. 5%.......not a whole terribly lot. Here's some math.......a company now makes $38,000 in gross revenues, and pays $500 in taxes a year (hypothetical, numbers may be way off). A 5% increase to that - a mere $25. It's not that much, in the grand scheme of things. Nobody likes taxes, but nobody likes congested roads and no business likes not being able to be accessible to people because of that (for example).

There is a lot of red tape, as stjoe says. We do need to attract business. That is one part of it, and taxes are also one part that makes up for a whole on why this town doesn't attract jobs. It's not just taxes and not just politics.

As far as your comment TallahasseeDowntown, let's not be brash about anything. I can feel your frustration, and I don't like the fact that stjoe only comes in here to shut down all of our opinions, but he's entitled to them. Free speech!

"I don't like the fact that stjoe only comes in here to shut down all of our opinions"

Uh? My opinions are about what I feel....not about 'shutting down' yours.

As far as downtown....what a frickin idiot...typical liberal BS "you suck...shut up". Good one. YOu got me.

You can civily disagree. You don't like that I think little of COT govt? Fine? But it is my opinion and I won't get insulted for it.

I am gone from this board that demands one single mindset...."Hight taxes, Govt is always good, build skyrises" Sorry I am not a zombie.

Enjoy your group think.

St Joe,

I'm disappointed that you will allow yourself to be pushed away by the comments on one, single person. You're too tough for that. Downtown has been on this board what... 5 days, you... 5+ months. You've got the right to disagree and debate anything you see fit... thats the reason we discuss things, its not for us all to agree. Nor is it for us to bash one another when we disagree, we should be more mature than that.

The board doesn't want you gone St Joe, those were the words of one member, whom I think should refrain from making additional comments like that. I made it very clear I don't agree with his approach and I'm sure others will feel the same. I'm sorry you think nothing more of us than a group think. Your comments & opinions have always been a welcome addition to what we have going here.

Please reconsider.

St Joe,

I'm disappointed that you will allow yourself to be pushed away by the comments on one, single person. You're too tough for that. Downtown has been on this board what... 5 days, you... 5+ months. You've got the right to disagree and debate anything you see fit... thats the reason we discuss things, its not for us all to agree. Nor is it for us to bash one another when we disagree, we should be more mature than that.

The board doesn't want you gone St Joe, those were the words of one member, whom I think should refrain from making additional comments like that. I made it very clear I don't agree with his approach and I'm sure others will feel the same. I'm sorry you think nothing more of us than a group think. Your comments & opinions have always been a welcome addition to what we have going here.

Please reconsider.

Stjoe..... That wasnt literal. I judt didnt agree i didnt mean actually leave.

This epitomizes the political division throughout the state and country right now. Most business people agree that taxes do not promote business, especially for small businesses. Want more business? Reduce taxes. It's one of the main reasons Florida has been growing over the past few decades (besides beaches, sunshine and Disney) - it's a low tax state. This is a tough argument to make in the largely Democrat Tallahassee area without getting strong opposition, and St Joe has done an admirable job. Don't give up St Joe, just grow thicker skin.

I agree... his point is good... and I wish we did have more tax advantages here locally, but I also understand whit the abundance of property not being taxed throughout this community, we've got to look for other ways to generate the revenues. We still have one of the state's lowest Milage rates, which is far more important than an occupational licence.

We still have one of the state's lowest Milage rates, which is far more important than an occupational licence.

Thats not true. Tallahassee is above the average total millage rate for Florida. According to FloridaTaxWatch.com, "The average total millage (tax) rate in Florida is 21.88 mills". In the city of Tallahassee the millage rate is over 22, and in the downtown improvement area it is over 23.

Compare that to a county like Walton where the millage rate has just been lowered to less than 1. Yes, they lowered taxes because property values have increased.

Archived