Red Mountain Park-Friends of Shades Mountain

dfwtiger

• 4 months later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

this is what i get for moving to arizona - great projects like this finally start getting some big discourse in my favorite city. i'd love to have a stake in it, instead of watching from afar.

lots of fighting ahead, unless the lead-up to building these projects bucks history. i hope it will.

this is what i get for moving to arizona - great projects like this finally start getting some big discourse in my favorite city. i'd love to have a stake in it, instead of watching from afar.

lots of fighting ahead, unless the lead-up to building these projects bucks history. i hope it will.

You can always move back... or at least fly back often to visit.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would bump this back up to the top so we can get some more attention heading it's way.

FYI, there is a public forum planned at the Birmingham Public Library on October 24 at 5:30 PM. PLEASE ATTEND!!!

Also, here are relevant websites:

http://www.redmountainpark.org

http://www.myspace.com/redmountainpark

P.S. -- The deadline for the $7 million land purchase ends December 31.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

The plans for the Red Mountain Park has been made public. It is a very impressive plans for the 4.5 mile park along the mountainous ridge from Homewood to Midfield. It would include a 6.7 mile bike/walking trail loop around the reecreational areas. There are also plans for connect the park with the Vulcan Trail and Shades Creek Greenway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

$10 for free beer, free food, and a good cause...

Who: All Friends of Red Mountain Park, YP Birmingham, and/or parties

What: Tinsel & Toddies, the Red Mountain Park/YP Birmingham Holiday Party

When: This Wednesday, 12/13, from 6 PM until...

Where: Amani Raha martini bar in Pepper Place next to the Cantina

Why: To support the purchase and development of the Red Mountain Park- Birmingham

Apparently, there is nothing that can be really said about the land trust purchase because the deadline has passed and there is still not enough donations for the Freshwater Land Trust to purchase the land.

However, this article in the Sunday edition of the Birmingham News shows that the group has given up and has requested an extension:

Park land purchase deadline passes

• 1 month later...
$10 for free beer, free food, and a good cause...

Who: All Friends of Red Mountain Park, YP Birmingham, and/or parties

What: Tinsel & Toddies, the Red Mountain Park/YP Birmingham Holiday Party

When: This Wednesday, 12/13, from 6 PM until...

Where: Amani Raha martini bar in Pepper Place next to the Cantina

Why: To support the purchase and development of the Red Mountain Park- Birmingham

I'm shocked! :shok: But for once I am glad they have proven my assumption wrong and actually executed something on time.

I just pray that BJCC Board can do the same by March and come up with a REAL Plan B with a scaled back sports arena (up to NBA standards) and an expansion to the exhibition space.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this letter in my inbox this morning. Please do what they ask and WRITE your commissioners!

JeffCo Commission Threatens to Withdraw Funding Promise

Yesterday's Birmingham News reported that Jefferson County Commission President Bettye Fine Collins has called for a review of all previous commission commitments and is specifically threatening to revoke allocations to Red Mountain Park, Railroad Reservation Park and the Cultural Alliance of Greater Birmingham. Collins, along with newly elected commissioners Jim Carns and Bobby Humphryes-not to be confused former Alabama footballer and Friend of RMP Bobby Humphrey-stated that "capital needs were neglected in favor of parks and non-profit organizations" by the Larry Langford-led commission which they have succeeded.

Regardless of the politics behind this message or the validity of RMP's signed contract with the commission, we should weigh this news very seriously and use it as a call to action. The commission's $7.5 million pledge to the park represents the bedrock of our financing and an official "thumbs-up" that has helped open the doors of corporate sponsors and position the project for federal grants. Current fund proposals suggest that the JeffCo money could be matched 3:1 by the end of this process-undercutting any notion that is a burden solely on the commissions' shoulders.

So, what can we do? The commission needs to hear from its constituents that RMP is vitally important to this county, not just as a public interest project but in real terms. Here are some financial projections from ConsultEcon's Tom Martin given at the last public forum:

* RMP would bring approximately $29.4 million to the local economy annually

* RMP would generate $1 million in tax revenue for state, county and local entities annually

* RMP would create 452 jobs in the community, park itself and supporting industries

If you have the time, a personal letter or email to the commissioners would be a great way to let them know that RMP would not only provide a wonderful greenspace in the midst of our cities, but would also be a tangible asset and worthwhile investment for the county. You can find contact information here or below:

Jefferson County Commission

Jefferson County Courthouse

716 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd North

Birmingham, AL 35203

* Bettye Fine Collins - President

Commissioner of Finance and General Services

[email protected]

* Jim Carns

Commissioner of Environmental Services

[email protected]

* Bobby Humphryes

Commissioner of Roads and Transportation

[email protected]

* Larry Langford

Commissioner of Health and Human Services

[email protected]

* Shelia Smoot

Commissioner of Information Technology

[email protected]

Currently, we don't know how the commission will formalize this budget review process and if there will be any chance for public participation. That is one question we plan to ask. In the meantime, thanks in advance for any efforts you can muster in this campaign and let's hope the commission can be swayed to think more sensibly about RMP's genuine worth to all of us.

Thanks for your support,

John Cobbs

Friends of Red Mountain Park

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

RED MOUNTIAN IS A GO

The Red Mountain Park is officially a go. US Steel has officially sold the 1,108 acres to the Red Mountain Park and Greenway Commission last Wednesday. The estimate cost for the park to be complete the entire park with trails, ballfields, and lake will be about $30-40M.

It is good to see the land has finally been purchased now if we can get this park along with the Railroad Reserve Park up.

Archived