Station Park Discussion

anthonypolitelli

I walk by Station Park almost daily, and am continually aggrivated that NOTHING is done with it. It looks absolutely terrible to me. Why has no action been taken in renovating the park into an area people WANT to hang out in. I think it's location is perfect. Please post any information you may have on Station Park and/or ideas that might make it a beautiful place!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great topic, thanks for starting a thread on it, I have a lot of ideas on it, I've posted elsewhere. I was just looking at a satellite view of the park and I'd like to sketch out some ideas. I don't have the time for the next couple days probably though.

Just to add from other posts where we've talked about Station Park:

-can't build on it cause of drainage/Amtrak issues (right?)

-some plans for it include new walkways, trolley stop, plantings, sculptures, solving the drainage issues...

It definitely needs SOMETHING. I dont know what, but it needs a purpose. It, combined with the Amex building, reminds me of a vacant Ames plaza that became so overgrown with weeds that the pavement is entirely covered. It has such a great location, yet it just sits there except for the occasional radio event.

-can't build on it cause of drainage/Amtrak issues (right?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could be built on. The train station is over the tracks, the mall is over the tracks, cities around the world have buildings over highway/rail tunnels. It would be more challenging to build there because of the tunnel, but it could be done.

It could be built on. The train station is over the tracks, the mall is over the tracks, cities around the world have buildings over highway/rail tunnels. It would be more challenging to build there because of the tunnel, but it could be done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, my bad....was it mentioned then that it was just undesirable for residential since it was over the tracks, or did I just kill too many brain cells at the bar last night?

No, it has been said here before that it "can't" be done. I simply don't buy that. It could, but there are two issues: 1) it isn't zoned to be developed 2) the engineering challenges of developing it probably make it financially unlikely that anyone would want to. There are plenty of parcels that are much easier to develop out there. If you look to Boston though, many challenging parcels are being developed now because everything else has been developed.

If you look to Boston though, many challenging parcels are being developed now because everything else has been developed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely. There was a parcel of land near where I grew up that everyone called "undevelopable" for years... Until the other properties were developed. Some creative engineering was trotted out then...

I think Station Park would be a good location for a Band Shell. It would be a nice extension of the Avenue of the Arts and it wouldn't break the bank.

- Garris

• 4 months later...

This seems like one of the few things that can clean up the park and not block the view of the white-house; I mean state house.

Why can't we just have a well maintained public park like every other self-respecting city does? We don't need to lease this public space to a polo club to have the area improved. Let the Fox Pointers lease their park.

definately a unique proposal! At first I thought that polo was the same thing as water polo.. and I was HELLA confused :(

It does make me wonder where those summer concerts and other events such as PRIDE will go.. but I love the idea of going to a polo game during the day, then hitting up a top notch restaurant, and then going to see waterfire. It'll be another unique attraction to brag about I suppose, so I'm not against this just yet.

I think it would be fun, unique ( polo grounds in the heart of downcity, neat! ) and good for providence. ( and help fill those new hotels during the summer )

The park just sucks and does very little for providence. Seeing the city do nothing with the park and expecting the city to do nothing with the park I am happy to see something like this proposed rather than somethinh wacky like monster truck track.

I think that's a great idea! Do you actually use Station Park, Cotuit? Have you ever seen anyone use Station Park?

I would if it weren't a mud puddle.

The sticking point is what access the public will have to the park when polo matches are not under way. Now, Station Park is the site of festivals, races, and concerts through the year. If the polo club takes the site over, concerts such as the WBRU-FM summer series would be without a home. It remains to be seen whether the park would still be available for festivals and sports such as soccer.

It is unclear whether the state would have an official say in what events are held at the park once a lease is signed, though the polo club promised to be a "good neighbor."

I don't want a polo club deciding who can and cannot use a public park.

It's a public park. The city needs a central gathering space. Just because the city and state have been too corrupt for the last century to properly care for anything doesn't mean we now need to go selling our public assets off to the highest bidder.

I would if it weren't a mud puddle.

I don't want a polo club deciding who can and cannot use a public park.

It's a public park. The city needs a central gathering space. Just because the city and state have been too corrupt for the last century to properly care for anything doesn't mean we now need to go selling our public assets off to the highest bidder.

I would think India Point would be a better place for this anyway. At India Point you could have the polo grounds be the center of the park but still have plenty of space for more public use. Also, India Point will kind of needs its own attractions as it will remain cut off from the city proper by 195.

Polo would be kind of fun - I have gone to Newport Polo a few times and always had a good time. I just agree with Cotuit and I don't think Station Park is the place for it.

Station park could use some items of interest, though. Right now it is a bit of an eyesore. It's a tough question of trying to resolve where you can have a festival-like gathering of people without having it look so poor. One place to start though would be to line at least three sides with shady trees. Although it will take a long time for them to grow enough to make a difference. This should have been done years ago.

As much as I want to agree I can't see the area getting used ( public or not ) as a gather place anymore than what polo grounds will provide and alteast these grounds will be good for the city. ( and they arent selling the land for a say a new building )

I think hoping the city will improve those grounds if polo is turned down is a long shot.

that article gave me some ideas!!

this would be in place of the polo field though..

Anyways, if any of you have been to the knightsville section of cranston where they hold St. Mary's feast.. right at that Gazebo area, (park ave and cranston street intersection)--> The landscaping is raised along the back edge.. and is seperated into about 4 levels of "natural" seating.. if that makes any sense.

So for station park.. it should be lined with that iron fencing that the article spoke of. The inside of the park would have an open circular center.... nothing but perfect grass. That center would branch off into the rest of the land area. This area would have a maze of walkways and would be lined with levels of landscaping and tons of trees and plant life. Iron trash cans, street lamps, and park benches would all line the walkways too.

i'm a crackhead :wub:

too bad companies like Gtech and Amtrack couldn't fund something like this..

i think its a unique idea, maybe not the best, but its worth a try.. plus that park really needs something, i hate walking into downtown on francis st, and everything all taken care of, and then seeing a big empty, dead grass and mud lot. Polo is something new and fun to try for the city, i dont see any other proposal going down anyways.

I'm with Cotuit- I think that is a simply terrible idea. I also sincerely doubt it is going to go anywhere, becuase it logistically just makes no sense. Where the heck are all the horse trailers and other peripherals going to go? Can you imagine the traffic nightmare this idea would create?

With all the new residential and business space coming into down town, a really nice public park will be a great asset for walking children, eating lunch, public events, all the stuff that a park is supposed to be. No one uses it now because there aren't enough people there TO use it, and it is terribly planned and maintained. The new buildings downtown will fix the first problem. If we fix the second, it will be a great space. Come on, guys, this is a PUBLIC PARK. Cities need those. Why so willing to give them up?

Terrible idea, but I'm not all that concerned- it'll never make it past the fantasy stage.

It's a tough question of trying to resolve where you can have a festival-like gathering of people without having it look so poor.

Every city has this problem with its large, grass gathering spaces. Then again, at least most cities make an attempt to maintain theirs...

I think that while Cotuit is right that India Point would be a better location, this idea for using Station Park doesn't distress me completely. What would be missed is that there is really is no other place for large concert gatherings in the downtown proper.

- Garris

I might not be so opposed if the Ship Street Landing Park where already in place, but at this point, we have no idea what that will be like, or know for sure that it will actually be built.

Kennedy Plaza is a good place for public gatherings, but it is not big enough, all you have really is the skating center. You can't close down the plaza itself since it's the bus hub, and hopefully people would be using buses to get to any public event.

We have no lack of vacant land in Providence, even close in to the Downtown core. I don't see why a public park should be being considered to turn over to a private entity, even part time. ruchele hits the nail on the head, Station Park is not utilized now because it is not properly maintained and there is not a large enough concentration of people in the area to use it. Waterplace, GTECH, Capitol Cove, a tenant for the AmEx Building, Westin II come online, the lack of people problem goes away, now the city and state have to pony up the funds to maintain and improve the park. Can a private component be slotted in to that improvement scheme, sure, but I don't want to see it basically turned over to one group who has the power to bless or deny public functions there.

Providence needs it's Boston Common or Central Park, Kennedy Plaza is too small, and India Point is too far from the population and transit centers, Station Park has the perfect size, central location, and symbolic location at the foot of the state house to become Providence's great civic gathering space.

Archived