Station Park Discussion

anthonypolitelli

I can't see how the owner of the parcel can be a mystery. You'd think the state would know if it owned a parcel of land, right? I mean, they had an enhancement project all ready to go for this parcel, and now they don't even know if it's theres?? Stupid state....

Haha, that stuff just doesn't faze me anymore... after I went to the DMV after they gave me plates that were ALREADY flagged as stolen before I even got them (resulting in my almost getting arrested for GTA), one office said their database didn't show them as stolen, yet the office downstairs might... one department, same building, more than one database. :rofl:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great idea, and even better now that it has been "uncovered" that Amtrak owns the land known as "Station Park". Private money (over 3 million dollars) will be invested into this property initially to build and maintain a beautiful park that will feature Polo on sundays. The rest of the week it will be an open space for the public to use. The maintenance on the field will be done by kingston turf, you may have heard of them, they maintain gillette stadium, fenway park, yankee stadium and the meadowlands in New Jersey. True a federal grant exists of 1.5 million dollars to fix up roads and some of it going to the park, but the polo club wants a ten year lease, which means the property will be maintained beautifully for that whole period of time, at no cost to the taxpayers. Last time money was put into that park was in the late 80's and look at it now. Amtrak does not have the money to maintain the land, they dont even have the budget to fix the leaking tunnels underneath. Bottom line, private money being used to beautify a piece of land in downtown providence for all to use is a great idea.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic. But, I like the idea of having polo in Roger Williams Park.

Having polo in Station Park could impede efforts to find a tenant for the old Amex building. Fidelity is only going to be there temporarily. I'm not sure if a company wants to have a polo ground in its front yard.

I'm not sure if a company wants to have a polo ground in its front yard.

GTECH has also expressed their distaste for the idea. When dealing to move downtown they were told Station Park would remain forever a park.

I read that column. I laughed. For lack of a better term, I thought it was the biggest load of horsecrap I'd ever read.

Brussat doesn't want polo in Providence. He wants the Gilded Age back. He wants Poe to start walking the streets again spouting poetry.

Move to Newport, if that's what you want, where you can write your hairbrained articles for Newport Life magazine and do all the daydreaming you want ...

Edit: as one poster noted, wouldn't it be wonderful to have something like the Temple to Music in that space? This was an idea I had myself a while back. Alas ...

temple2000_jpg.jpg

Gawd, lookit that. It would be a perfect complement to the State House. Can't we just ... I dunno ... move it? You know, kinda scoot it over a little? And then a little more? Or roll it on logs or something? :thumbsup:

I think this is a great idea, and even better now that it has been "uncovered" that Amtrak owns the land known as "Station Park".

How could you not own your own roof?

True a federal grant exists of 1.5 million dollars to fix up roads and some of it going to the park,

Are there federal grants to plant grass on my roof and then maintain it?

Mark

• 1 month later...

Bottom line, private money being used to beautify a piece of land in downtown providence for all to use is a great idea.

I very much like the idea as long as the public has full access to it the rest of the week. I am not a finance guy, but it seems hard to fathom that they would make a profit on this, only playing once a week and having to put millions up front.

I'm very nervous about this moving forward. That park is the best place for festivals and gatherings and Pride's entire planning right now for the festival and parade revolves around us being able to use that site. Granted they say they would only use it on Sunday, and our festival is Saturday, but there is absolutely no way we can ask our volunteers to have that entire park cleared and cleaned up by saturday night... they would never speak to us again!

I fear the polo club is going to start with just Sundays, and then just slowly edge out everything else with more of their own stuff and just make it impossible for other festivals and thing to happen because we might "damage" their $3 million grass....

I'm with you on that one, Mikey. Give the RI Rose Society a blank canvas to work with. Maybe a Japanese garden oasis with water features. Create a retreat for people to relax and eat lunch.

I wonder how the Polo club would work with the land. They have already made it clear that this would be a city friendly park when the games aren

Anything beats that chewed up void that we have there now. I think its a very creative idea and we shouldn't trash it just yet... remember when WaterFire was first announced? You never know...

Matches would be on Sundays, so it gives people a reason to come to the city for leisure instead of the usual business. That's good for the mall and restaurants in the city. Plus, who wouldn't like to see that area cleaned up and landscaped. If you want flowers and gardens you can still visit Roger Williams Park. I would settle for some green fresh-cut grass on this particular property.

As long as they allow for other uses during the non-polo times (maybe like the Prov Parks much needed soccer space?), I have no problem with this. Until I see a viable proposal for something else there, I think it should be strongly considered.

- Garris

As long as they allow for other uses during the non-polo times (maybe like the Prov Parks much needed soccer space?), I have no problem with this.

Now see, I think that's a great idea. That would guarantee frequent use, not just a once-a-week thing. And it would be a great thing just to be driving or walking through the city and see, y'know, a big ol' bunch of people just having some fun outside.

Might be tough on the grass, depending on how often games are played. I could be wrong, but I'd have to think that would be a high-demand site.

I never played organized soccer. But I bet that would be a cool place to play ...

Might be tough on the grass, depending on how often games are played. I could be wrong, but I'd have to think that would be a high-demand site.

That's the downside... Soccer is pretty hard on the lawn... This is where a philosophy called maintenance could come into play for the Providence parks (Ok, they don't deserve that much sarcasm, right? :huh: )

I've already seen people regularly play pick-up games on the Capitol lawn itself...

- Garris

Archived