Station Park Discussion

anthonypolitelli

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think the point is to put the grounds near an attractive and "upsale" section of town.

Give that area 5-10 years... I think that location's a terrific idea. It could actually help generate additional residential and retail in that section of town as well as 195 comes down...

- Garris

So this is actually the swath of dead grass next to the Amex building...I think people were confusing this with the park in Kennedy Plaza. Anyways, it still is a ridiculous proposal. I say ...move the comfort station there and create a nice park with a fountain that could be a focal point for visitors. Also, something like a Temple of Music (a la Roger Williams Park) would be great for outdoor concerts...From what I understand, there really can't be any major developments there because of the Amtrak lines underneath...

while i glad to hear something planned for this piece of land, im not so crazy about the idea of a polo field there, this should be a park or garden. its just going to be a crap covered field, speaking of that some police horse shat all over memorial park a few days ago and is still sitting right in the middle of the riverfront path

So this is actually the swath of dead grass next to the Amex building...I think people were confusing this with the park in Kennedy Plaza. Anyways, it still is a ridiculous proposal. I say ...move the comfort station there and create a nice park with a fountain that could be a focal point for visitors. Also, something like a Temple of Music (a la Roger Williams Park) would be great for outdoor concerts...From what I understand, there really can't be any major developments there because of the Amtrak lines underneath...

I agree. This "park" has such minimal landscaping that until recently I thought it was another vacant development parcel. If they plan to keep it as open space, then they should make it look like a park with plantings, benches, etc.

I agree. This "park" has such minimal landscaping that until recently I thought it was another vacant development parcel. If they plan to keep it as open space, then they should make it look like a park with plantings, benches, etc.

Yes, by all means! Let's give the homeless another spot to loiter! :(

This is a lousy proposal. There is already a polo grounds in R.I in Portsmouth. I went to see one match there and the horses' hooves just tear up the field, and leave manure all over the place to boot. A better solution for Station Park is to provide better landscaping - and build a memorial/statue to a famous Rhode Islander. I nominate Nathanael Greene - the only general other than George Washington to serve his country during the entire course of the Revolutionary War. The state has no memorial to him; and it should!

I agree that there is a problem with giving a PRIVATE group control over a PUBLIC space. The only reason that the proposal appeals to so many people, is that the space is hardly used by the public because there is nothing redeeming about it except for its location. It's not all that difficult to attract people to a space like Station Park - concerts definitely do the trick, as would any type of event. Public spaces can be used in different ways - it could remain an empty grass field as long as there were events taking place to bring people - concerts, speeches, beer festivals, flea markets, arts & crafts festivals, whatever. OR, things can be built into the park like paths, gardens, benches, fountains, even little food stands or news stands.

Keeping the field as is in order to bring in events would require some sort of planning committee and the downside would be that whenever there wasn't an event taking place, the space wouldn't offer much and it would still be somewhat of an eyesore.

If anyone has been to Chicago recently, there's a great new park that has a permanent stage for concerts - the rest of it is pretty much just grass, with a simple steel frame above that acts as an aesthetic element as well as a place for attaching speakers. -

Millennium Park

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...23.e35e333.html

Everyone makes fair points besides this

" College Hill resident and member of the neighborhood association, said that polo, its crowds, smells and sounds, would affect the quality of life in her neighborhood "

East Side; you must be joking! These College Hill residents cant start blocking proposals downtown. What a nut.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...23.e35e333.html

Everyone makes fair points besides this

" College Hill resident and member of the neighborhood association, said that polo, its crowds, smells and sounds, would affect the quality of life in her neighborhood "

East Side; you must be joking! These College Hill residents cant start blocking proposals downtown. What a nut.

Please!!!!!!! Are you really that surprised!? East siders would protest the opening of an envelope, which Cianci always loved to attend. :D

The East Siders just need to go away. It's idiotic comments like that that make me want to support this hairbrained scheme, just to screw the East Side morons.

Knee jerk reminder needed here that all East Siders are not cut from the same mold...

That said, as I've mentioned, there's a very strong suburban streak amongst the East Side neighborhood associations. This is why more UP-Prov members need to attend.

There's definitely a generation gap as well. In my experience, the East Side population tends to be broken down into four distinct groups...

- A population (usually older) that is close to or actually retired who prize quiet, privacy, and safety above all else. They generally were born on the East Side and will likely die on the East Side. This is the group in College Hill, Fox Point, etc who tend to oppose everything without exception, even the most benign development and neighborhood enhancing retail.

- A population of varying ages that are more speculative, and view their homes as investments above all else. This group tends to be hypervigilant about anything that could increase the number of renters, students, schools, children, or traffic in their area, and thus drive down home prices. This group, thankfully, is fairly small.

- A population, also of widely varying ages, that nevertheless skews younger and has moved here within the last 5-10 years. They tended to have options of where to live (NY, Boston, Harford, Philly, etc) but chose the East Side specifically because it's a city. This group tends to be fairly open to almost all development, but given their level of home investment, they too are concerned about things being "done right" and not done cheaply or exploitively. Regrettably, this population tends to be the least active in the neighborhood associations.

- A large (even perhaps a numerical majority?) are renters. Perhaps because of their lack of investment in the community and transient nature, they tend not to have many opinions about what is going on in the area, except to complain there isn't enough arts, entertainment, or retail for their liking. Regrettably, they too are a near political non-entity on the East Side, despite being the largest demographic group in many neighborhoods. Looked down upon by the three above groups...

- Garris

Knee jerk reminder needed here that all East Siders are not cut from the same mold...

That said, as I've mentioned, there's a very strong suburban streak amongst the East Side neighborhood associations. This is why more UP-Prov members need to attend.

There's definitely a generation gap as well. In my experience, the East Side population tends to be broken down into four distinct groups...

- A population (usually older) that is close to or actually retired who prize quiet, privacy, and safety above all else. They generally were born on the East Side and will likely die on the East Side. This is the group in College Hill, Fox Point, etc who tend to oppose everything without exception, even the most benign development and neighborhood enhancing retail.

- A population of varying ages that are more speculative, and view their homes as investments above all else. This group tends to be hypervigilant about anything that could increase the number of renters, students, schools, children, or traffic in their area, and thus drive down home prices. This group, thankfully, is fairly small.

- A population, also of widely varying ages, that nevertheless skews younger and has moved here within the last 5-10 years. They tended to have options of where to live (NY, Boston, Harford, Philly, etc) but chose the East Side specifically because it's a city. This group tends to be fairly open to almost all development, but given their level of home investment, they too are concerned about things being "done right" and not done cheaply or exploitively. Regrettably, this population tends to be the least active in the neighborhood associations.

- A large (even perhaps a numerical majority?) are renters. Perhaps because of their lack of investment in the community and transient nature, they tend not to have many opinions about what is going on in the area, except to complain there isn't enough arts, entertainment, or retail for their liking. Regrettably, they too are a near political non-entity on the East Side, despite being the largest demographic group in many neighborhoods. Looked down upon by the three above groups...

- Garris

And group #1 are usually the only ones that go to those meetings.....and the only ones that the media reports...They are very annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And group #1 are usually the only ones that go to those meetings.....and the only ones that the media reports...They are very annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

East Side Monthly is bought and paid for by group number one. A sad rag that's not worthy of wrapping ones fish in.

I want to add my 2 cents on this.

This proposal by the Providence Polo Club (how long have they been around, anyway?), smacks of the tried-and-true "Rhode Island Mentality". 10 minutes is too far to go anywhere? Please...

Don't they know there is already a polo-grounds in Rhode Island, complete with stables, paddocks, et. al?

http://www.glenfarmequestrian.com/

Don't they know there is already and established polo season here?

http://riroads.com/outdoors/newport_polo.htm

Polo at Glen farm is international in scope:

http://www.glenfarm.com/

Price Charles II himself played there in the England vs. U.S. Polo match there several years ago. Why don't these polo enthusiasts simply go play polo there, or join the Newport Polo Club if they want to play polo? I'll go to Glen Farm to watch international polo vs. a scaled down version anyday. The state is only something like 35 miles across and Glen Farm is a 40-minute drive from Providence. Give me a break!

i think you missed the whole point

the idea is for the polo matches to bring a considerable amount of people into downtown providence and spend money there, not to portsmouth

hmm, do you work for, say... the... portsmouth polo club???? lol

why cant RI have 2 polo clubs? you don't believe in competition? competition makes business better and will bring in more auxilliary businesses...

that said, i will never attend a polo match in prov or newport, lol

peace, i'm outta here

Archived