The mayor's office

Mr.Marc

Attorney Steve Morrison has announced his candidacy for mayor. He says he is running for mayor of Columbia with a message of developing downtown as a means of invigorating the city's distressed neighborhoods. "I'd like to see more outdoor cafes at the base of the Meridan building. I'd like to see more of the Magnolia Marketplace that is there on Saturday mornings outside of the plaza," Morrison said. "I look at Greenville's Main Street and the excitement that is there, and I look at what we've been able to accomplish in the Vista, and I think the downtown corridor could be a vital and exciting place."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Steve Benjamin is advocating that Columbia go to a strong-mayor form of government and state Sen. Darrell Jackson says he plans to introduce a resolution Tuesday in the General Assembly that would urge Columbia City Council members to place a referendum on the April ballot to change the city's form of government.

Source

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Benjamin is advocating that Columbia go to a strong-mayor form of government and state Sen. Darrell Jackson says he plans to introduce a resolution Tuesday in the General Assembly that would urge Columbia City Council members to place a referendum on the April ballot to change the city's form of government.

Source

I've meet Steve benjamin already and he Sounds like a great person to be mayor for columbia. and also i have his phone number email and Personal cell number so i can get in contact with him becuase he said that he wants to be invetiewed by me on my Online Newscast.

Oh also Mayor bob coble's State of the city address im going to try to get a report on that.

Oh also Mayor bob coble's State of the city address im going to try to get a report on that.

I went last night. He really stressed the importance of Innovista, and creating a long term plan for establishing Assembly Street as a link between Main St. and the Vista.

It made me really happy when he mentioned that 'downtown' now includes the Bull Street Neighborhoods and the Vista.

Here's the full text if you missed it:

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/1132681.html?RSS=breaking

• 2 months later...

Looks like The State is endorsing Steve Morrison for mayor. Personally, I'm not entirely sure that it's in the city's best interest to elect another lawyer for mayor.

As part of the December 2009 cover story "Who Wants to Be Mayor, Anyway?," the Free Times asked the declared candidates and City Council members, "What are the biggest challenges facing Columbia's next mayor?" See responses here.

Whoever wins, it will be the start of a new era in Columbia. I'm hoping that the new mayor will be much more decisive and headstrong in his leadership capabilities than Coble. From what I read, it seems that whoever can get the Shandon vote, which Morrison carried, will probably win.

Too bad Anne Sinclair has retired from public office. I think she would have made the perfect mayor.

WIS interviewed Finlay and Benjamin tonight. Both are emphatically focused on the CBD, especially Main Street. Finlay said the city has grown in far-flung parcels and that the city's core has been allowed to flounder. He isn't including the new office towers or street-scape, I'm sure. Benjamin said people never ask where street X is; they always want to see Main Street. Neither candidate mentioned the progress that has been made on Main, the progress that Mast General has cited in every article written about their choosing Columbia. That omission notwithstanding, the candidates' interest in Main Street is exciting.

Benjamin got over 6,000, Finlay got over 5,000 and Morrison got over 4,000. There's going to be a runoff April 20th between Benjamin and Finlay. I predict Finlay.

I doubt that; everyone I know (including myself) who voted for Morrison will vote for Benjamin in the runoff.

I voted for Morrison and I'm not staying home. I wonder how many of the Shandon and Wales Garden Morrison supporters who had his signs in their yards will stay home or vote for Benjamin. Also, surprisingly I saw a lot of Finlay signs in Earlewood before the election.

I didnt get a chance to vote but my vote would be for Benjamin. i had a personally meeting with him and he sounds like the man with the plan. i mean the person that would help and change Columbia for the better.

PS Look at my news report i did for Bob coble finale city address

Kirkman Finlay says in The State today that the Village at Sandhill is rising at the expense of downtown Columbia. He also said the job of Columbia's mayor is to build up the city, not the region. Steve Benjamin says that's the wrong approach and that it is up to Columbia to build up the region by being the leader through good leadership with a strong city core and regional cooperation among all area governments. The Cayces, Irmos and Blythewoods are already salivating to lure another "SCANA" out of the city. I feel like it's time, except for on issues such as transportation, for the city to look inward like never before. The whole city needs to be focused on Downtown Columbia, including the Vista, Innovista, Five Points, Devine Street, and the Historic Houses Neighborhood, with an emphasis on Main Street (Richardson Street? Why not? It's the original historic name.), including North Main (It's looking good by the way.). The heck with neighborhoods. I'm sick of hearing about them. Downtown is something we all have in common and we need to be very focused on it. Which candidate would be better if I were to vote on that one issue?

The candidates are debating on WIS-10 right now and Kirkman Finlay was asked the following question. Apple is looking at putting a store in Columbia, but they have looked at Main Street, the Village at Sandhill and Five Points. What would you say to Apple that would make them want to come to Main Street? He cited the proximity to the University, the capitol, the museums, the restaurants, Mast General and the Nick as places they would want to be near. So, I wonder if he'll lure them to Main Street over Five Points if he is elected?

I can get on board with most of what you are saying except for ignoring the neighborhoods. Neighborhoods are what make cities great. Downtown is just one district comprised of many neighborhoods. Admittedly it is a special district, but ignoring the neighborhoods would be a huge mistake.

The State newspaper this morning points out that the Census Bureau's figures show the percentage of Columbia's population that is black has dropped from 46% to 42% since 2000, so it wasn't the black vote but the whole vote that got him elected. That's something Columbia can be proud of.

The State newspaper this morning points out that the Census Bureau's figures show the percentage of Columbia's population that is black has dropped from 46% to 42% since 2000, so it wasn't the black vote but the whole vote that got him elected. That's something Columbia can be proud of.

There was a Benjamin bus parked outside of the Gates at WB yesterday when I got home from work that was shuttling students to the polls.

Coupled with the

about him doing this in other areas, I'd be willing to bet that he ended up getting a very solid chunk of the youth vote, which actually makes me really happy.

Archived