The mayor's office

Mr.Marc

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ending the year with a deficit is not that uncommon, particularly in a really bad economy.

Not being able to close the year out in the Accounting department for MONTHS is quite UNCOMMON, and is a huge sign of incompetence and mismanagement. Double and even triple payment of millions of dollars in bills is FURTHER evidence of mismanagement and incompetence.

But, it's YOUR money that's being wasted, it is no longer mine (Thankfully). Go ahead and reward that performance if you like, but don't complain when you see more of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Coble was a good mayor for about 12 years, after that, his skills seemed to atrophy, IMO. On the whole, he did a decent job, but he really could have been great if he had been more decisive, and not so afraid to upset the apple cart. I wish he had had a better understanding of urban design too. Ditto for City Council.

In his second term, I thought he had the potential to be another Joe Riley, but he never reached that level. Then again, no one else has either.

I bet Issac reconsiders now.

Hopefully, a rigorous, issues-based campaign will happen.

Reading the article in today's State, Findley has shown real backbone in cutting the budget Backbone is exactly what has been missing in the Mayor's office.

He sounds just like what Columbia needs right now. The city has pissed away a lot of money and cannot continue doing so. His dad was the last visionary mayor Columbia has had. Columbia residents should think long and hard about voting for Finlay. Being a businessman, maybe he can change Columbia's anti-business reputation.

Columbia needs to make a 180 right now, and he sounds like the guy that can do it.

Since when did Columbia have an anti business reputation?

In the '90's, the head of the Commerce Department point blank told Coble as quoted in The State, that Columbia was "not competitive" in economic development. City officials in Charleston and Greenville can and do shepherd through projects. Coble just lets the process go forward and it some snaffu develops, oh well.

During the Five Points South debate, this was a common refrain.

I tend to think of an "anti-business" attitude as one that is hostile to any new economic development, as opposed to maybe the city not being as proactive as it should.

I think the Five Points South development fiasco was a different animal altogether. I can't recall any other project going through all of the rigamarole that one went through, even in the Vista which also has height restrictions.

But I get the gist of what you're saying.

Reading the article in today's State, Findley has shown real backbone in cutting the budget Backbone is exactly what has been missing in the Mayor's office.

He sounds just like what Columbia needs right now. The city has pissed away a lot of money and cannot continue doing so. His dad was the last visionary mayor Columbia has had. Columbia residents should think long and hard about voting for Finlay. Being a businessman, maybe he can change Columbia's anti-business reputation.

Columbia needs to make a 180 right now, and he sounds like the guy that can do it.

Finlay will be trounced - no Republican is going to get elected mayor in the City of Columbia in 2010.

Finlay will be trounced - no Republican is going to get elected mayor in the City of Columbia in 2010.

The quality of Steve Benjamin as a candidate and his campaign will determine that, as well as the same of Mr. Findley. Don't think that Findley can't win. The race is techically non-partisan, which means party labels will not appear on the ballot.

If the city's financial situation is a bad a some purport it to be, voters will be looking for a DEPARTURE from the past. That helps Findlay.

New York City is overwhelmingly Democratic, but it elected Guiliani twice as a Republican and Bloomberg once. Plus Guiliani nearly won once before that. If people get fed up enough, party labels can lose their effectiveness.

Most voters normally don't even bother to vote in city elections, but that might be different this time. That adds a degree of uncertainty as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived