The mayor's office

Mr.Marc

Steve Benjamin got into a Car wreak this morning on the Corner of Gervais and pickens. not too far from the WACH Fox and WIS Studios. Hes ok and the lady that got hit is ok too but shes in the Hospital.

All i can way is Yay for Columbia's First black Mayor. and Congrats mr benjamin for being that mayor now. Can't wait to start giing him Some of my ideas for the Cities Future.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The state Senate passed a resolution introduced by the Richland County senatorial delegation Thursday asking the city of Columbia to put a question on the November ballot to change city government to a mayor-council form of government. The resolution now goes to the House for approval.

This is only a resolution, so it is not binding. I think the city council would have to actualy put the issue on the ballot. I don't believe the General Ass. can. Even if they can, I doubt seriously that they would.

I oppose this proposed change, and feel it is just a diversion from the real problem, BTW.

The real problem being what?

Maybe city council is the problem? I don't follow Columbia politics so I can't really say except as I can relate it to what I know.

• I know that in Spartanburg I think the City Council - not the mayor- gets in the way of progress.
  • I know that in Charlotte, the Council-Mayor thing seems to work just fine.
  • I know that in Charleston the strong mayor system has served them well in the past three decades - though you can argue that has not always been the case, give that they are not the 4th largest city in the nation anymore.

• 2 months later...

It's interesting that Charlotte is sometimes cited as an example of a city where the weak mayor system seems to work fine (even sometimes by yours truly), but former Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory actually seems to not have been fond of it. I suppose he makes many of the same arguments that proponents of the strong mayor system for Columbia make.

• 8 months later...

A majority of Columbia City Council members say they support asking city residents whether they want a full-time, hands-on mayor to lead their city. A referendum has not been scheduled, and City Council members have not formally discussed it. But City Manager Steve Gantt wants to retire, and he’s under contract through June 30, 2012. If council members wanted to call for a referendum, Gantt said he is willing to stay to help with the transition — giving council members an opportunity to finally settle the lingering question of who should run the city’s day-to-day operations.

A majority of Columbia City Council members say they support asking city residents whether they want a full-time, hands-on mayor to lead their city. A referendum has not been scheduled, and City Council members have not formally discussed it. But City Manager Steve Gantt wants to retire, and he’s under contract through June 30, 2012. If council members wanted to call for a referendum, Gantt said he is willing to stay to help with the transition — giving council members an opportunity to finally settle the lingering question of who should run the city’s day-to-day operations.

Out of curiosity, are there other cities of precedent (cities with which Columbia is a peer, and ones that it aspires to be) that have a full-time mayor?

Out of curiosity, are there other cities of precedent (cities with which Columbia is a peer, and ones that it aspires to be) that have a full-time mayor?

Charleston and North Charleston. Marion also has a strong mayor. Most of the other strong mayor cities in SC have less than 1,000 population.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived