Downtown office market

Infinite1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news. I am glad that the office market will be able to sustain SCANA's departure... Columbia's office market is looking good. I wonder what this big announcement is?

Where is the Synergy Business Park?

That looks good firefox. The city needs to hire you :)

Well that might be true but i think none of us saw merdian in the market of the early 2000s

We also didn't see any major tenants taking hundreds of employees out to the 'burbs either.

Any new midrise/highrise construction will depend on how good of a job the city does in getting the SCANA space absorbed. Sounds like it's off to a great start, but there's still a ways to go.

To be honest, I don't really see many new midrises or highrises being proposed in the near future.

...and most of the highrises proposed if any probably won't get built either due to high construction costs from Hurricane Katrina. Just look at Greenville for an example.

We also didn't see any major tenants taking hundreds of employees out to the 'burbs either.

Any new midrise/highrise construction will depend on how good of a job the city does in getting the SCANA space absorbed. Sounds like it's off to a great start, but there's still a ways to go.

Yeah but we did see alot of jobs close for example some when FU bought out wachovia and BOA got Fleet i mean hell BOA already has two buildings in columbia it has offices in that we know for sure WS and BOA you can't tell me that didn't affect the columbia market and these were all around the time of merdians constuction or its annocement, I think what we would see if we do see anything will be mix use there is no two ways about it.

I think Richland County would much rather go for a new building. Although it's an interesting idea, I'm not really sure exactly how feasible it would be for county operations to move into the Palmetto Center and have the building meet the county's needs. If the county council is saying that 362,000 sq ft is too much, then I highly doubt that they'd opt for the Palmetto Center, which undoubtedly has more than 362,000 sq ft. Plus it would be nice to see a new, modern county courthouse with LEED-certification (probably the first courthouse in the state to have it) and see the space in the Palmetto Center become absorbed.

There's also the possibility that one of the office buildings on Main north of Hampton could be converted to residential or mixed-use.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2006 year end market survey has some good news. After a sluggish start to 2006, the market caught fire towards the end of 2006 and they seem to think the momentum will continue into 2007. They do point out that efforts should start now to replace SCANA. When they leave it will result in 10% decrease in occupancy.

Link

Archived