Subforums in the Arkansas forum

Mith242

I've noticed more states creating more subforums in their forums and was curious to see how other people felt about it. Although I'm not sure who would do it since we don't appear to have a moderator at the moment. Personally I have no problem leaving things the way they are. I don't mind seeing topics dealing with the rest of the state on here. I guess my only concern is, are people feeling a bit put off because some of us in northwest Arkansas are rather prolific and have quite a few topics dealing with northwest Arkansas. Would more people from outside northwest Arkansas prefer to not have to see so many northwest Arkansas topics? If this is a problem for other people maybe we should look more into having subforums. Otherwise, despite the fact we have now passed over 4000 responses, I don't feel we need to create subforums. But how does everyone else feel on this? Tennessee decided instead of seperating out certain cities that they would just have a coffeeshop subforum. What's everyone's opinion?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to feel "seperated" from the rest of the state. If other people want a certain area to have a subforum, than I will support it.

Although I feel sometimes that NWA seems to dominate the board, I still enjoy reading all about the rest of Arkansas.

If more NWA Forumers were as active as me or Mith, I would also see the need for an NWA Forum.

I don't want to feel "seperated" from the rest of the state. If other people want a certain area to have a subforum, than I will support it.

Although I feel sometimes that NWA seems to dominate the board, I still enjoy reading all about the rest of Arkansas.

If more NWA Forumers were as active as me or Mith, I would also see the need for an NWA Forum.

I don't necessarily even mean that there would have to be a northwest Arkansas subforum. If people in central Arkansas would prefer to have a Little Rock subforum if they are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the northwest Arkansas topics I could see that. Like I said before I have no problems leaving it the way it is. I want to do what makes the other people on the forum comfortable. If having some subforums will help get other people to post then maybe we should. I'm just wanting to see how other people, especially outside the two of us felt about the matter. I imagine that Matt and I will both still post quite frequently whether there are subforums or not.

I don't necessarily even mean that there would have to be a northwest Arkansas subforum. If people in central Arkansas would prefer to have a Little Rock subforum if they are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the northwest Arkansas topics I could see that. Like I said before I have no problems leaving it the way it is. I want to do what makes the other people on the forum comfortable. If having some subforums will help get other people to post then maybe we should. I'm just wanting to see how other people, especially outside the two of us felt about the matter. I imagine that Matt and I will both still post quite frequently whether there are subforums or not.

If people wanted a central Arkansas forum, I would support it.

Originally, I would have said I liked the integrated forum the best.

But there are so many NWA topics!

NWA needs its own forum.

:-)

If other people outside northwest Arkansas feel this way let us know. If we can get other people to feel more comfortable and post more often if there was a subforum then maybe we need to look more into this.

I've noticed more states creating more subforums in their forums and was curious to see how other people felt about it. Although I'm not sure who would do it since we don't appear to have a moderator at the moment. Personally I have no problem leaving things the way they are. I don't mind seeing topics dealing with the rest of the state on here. I guess my only concern is, are people feeling a bit put off because some of us in northwest Arkansas are rather prolific and have quite a few topics dealing with northwest Arkansas. Would more people from outside northwest Arkansas prefer to not have to see so many northwest Arkansas topics? If this is a problem for other people maybe we should look more into having subforums. Otherwise, despite the fact we have now passed over 4000 responses, I don't feel we need to create subforums. But how does everyone else feel on this? Tennessee decided instead of seperating out certain cities that they would just have a coffeeshop subforum. What's everyone's opinion?

The Admininstration would have to approve and set up sub-forums, as thats not in a moderators power. If you all decided you wanted subforums you should ask monsoon about it.

The Admininstration would have to approve and set up sub-forums, as thats not in a moderators power. If you all decided you wanted subforums you should ask monsoon about it.

Ah, thanks for the info Rural King. Hopefully we'll wait till we get more responses from most of our regulars. Hopefully we can even get some of our usuals who don't post very often to give their view on the subject. I have wondered if some people might be feeling a bit overwhelmed by northwest Arkansas topics. I won't say I wonder how it might affect northwest Arkansas topics having them in a seperate subforum, but I certainly wouldn't mind if we could get more people active here on the forum and if that's one of the things that could make that happen then so be it.

^ Its very important to get the feedback and general feeling of the majority of the forumers.

Yes I agree, in fact this is what brought this up in the first place. I personally don't mind having everything under the main Arkansas forum. But I have wondered if people from the rest of the state feel a bit overwhelmed by all the activity in the northwest Arkansas topics. If a majority of people feel that having a subforum would help the Arkansas forum overall them we can ask monsoon about the possibility. But this may take a while to get most people to post their opinion. Not everyone is quite so prolific and come to the forum on a regular basis like some of us from northwest Arkansas seem to.

Not to be a spelling Nazi, mcheiss, but the word is "separated." Also use the word "then" in that circumstance rather than "than."

I do favor the idea of having subforums. I'd like to see them for Little Rock and Northwest Arkansas, since those are the two largest metros in the state by a good margin. The reasoning is not that I don't want to see info about another part of the state, but to make it easier to find certain topics. I, like most here, would read both subforums.

I don't feel that NWA dominates the board, but rather that a couple of posters are very active. ;) For this reason, a NWA forum would probably have more total posts, and a Little Rock forum would probably be more concentrated on actual developments. This is all based on the make-up of the forum as I see it now.

I like the idea of having some sub-forums. This keeps me from reading every topic headline to find what I'm interested in. Not that I'm not intrested in NWA, but I am usually only active in a NWA topic if it is "BIG NEWS" or effects the rest of the state in some way.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Little Rock (metro) sub-forum. Great topic... thanks for asking Mith.

Okay so far it seems quite a few people seem to prefer having northwest Arkansas in it's own forum. Although not everyone has voiced an opinion so feel free to let us know what you think. I guess one question is whether there is enough content to seperate and make a Little Rock or central Arkansas subforum. I also wonder what that will leave us under just the general Arkansas forum. And of course all of this has to be okay with the administration too. Had I known so many were feeling overwhelmed with northwest Arkansas topics I would have mentioned this before. But I do realize a couple of us in northwest Arkansas seem to prefer a more interactive forum and like for the topics and forum to be a place to come to on a frequent basis. So then from everyone that has voiced their opinion so far does anyone also want a Little Rock subforum too? I have wondered if the admin would have a problem with taking to two biggest components in the Arkansas forum out.

Edited by Mith242

Okay so far it seems quite a few people seem to prefer having northwest Arkansas in it's own forum. Although not everyone has voiced an opinion so feel free to let us know what you think. I guess one question is whether there is enough content to seperate and make a Little Rock or central Arkansas subforum. I also wonder what that will leave us under just the general Arkansas forum. And of course all of this has to be okay with the administration too. Had I known so many were feeling overwhelmed with northwest Arkansas topics I would have mentioned this before. But I do realize a couple of us in northwest Arkansas seem to prefer a more interactive forum and like for the topics and forum to be a place to come to on a frequent basis. So then from everyone that has voiced their opinion so far does anyone also want a Little Rock subforum too? I have wondered if the admin would have a problem with taking to two biggest components in the Arkansas forum out.

If there was a Central Arkansas/Little Rock Forum and a Northwest Arkansas Forum, than there wouldn't be much of an "Arkansas" forum.

Only one of the two growing area's should have a subforum.

If there was a Central Arkansas/Little Rock Forum and a Northwest Arkansas Forum, than there wouldn't be much of an "Arkansas" forum.

It would leave the main Arkansas forum a bit sparse, but some other states don't have a huge amount of topics in their forum so I wouldn't say it's not possible. I have no idea what the admin will think about this. It could even be possible that they don't like the subforum idea here. I really wouldn't mind having some type of coffeeshop type topic, but I'm not sure there's enough support for one. Perhaps some of us consider some of our current topics more fitting than I do. But I guess I've always wanted this forum to be more than just a place to get updates and info on projects and developments on an occasional basis.

I think we need to attract the attention of monsoon, since he's automatically our moderator, and get a poll or something along the lines of that going on. Choices between no subforums, NW Arkansas, and Little Rock/Centeral Arkansas.

True, if I had realized how much discussion this would have brought about I could have added a poll in the first place. I hadn't thought much about this option but what if there was a Little Rock/central Arkansas subforum and they left the northwest Arkansas topics in the main Arkansas forum? Or would most people prefer to have northwest Arkansas totally seperated from other topics so they don't get lost amoungst all of our topics and discussions?

True, if I had realized how much discussion this would have brought about I could have added a poll in the first place. I hadn't thought much about this option but what if there was a Little Rock/central Arkansas subforum and they left the northwest Arkansas topics in the main Arkansas forum? Or would most people prefer to have northwest Arkansas totally seperated from other topics so they don't get lost amoungst all of our topics and discussions?

Northwest Arkansas may be better to be by itself, so that way other Arkansas forumers don't feel overwhelmed.

If people are saying that NWA has too much topics, than it's probably for the best to let NWA have it's own forum. I would just like a little more feedback from some of the other NWA forumers.

Just my opinion.

Northwest Arkansas may be better to be by itself, so that way other Arkansas forumers don't feel overwhelmed.

If people are saying that NWA has too much topics, than it's probably for the best to let NWA have it's own forum. I would just like a little more feedback from some of the other NWA forumers.

Just my opinion.

I do agree with you, I guess I just wanted to let others voice their opinion on this also. As prolific as we are I would imagine that northwest Arkansas would overshadow the rest of the main Arkansas forum if it was left in. Yeah I wish some other northwest Arkansas forumers would also give some more feedback too. But since KWJ stopped coming by many of the rest I think show up on a sporadic basis or don't tend to post very often.

The Arkansas forum would be fine. The board would still be used to discuss anything in Arkansas outside of the two metros, as well as any discussion involving both metros. The forum wouldn't be any lesser because it would have fewer posts, but would better serve other areas of the state by keeping focus on them. The creation of Central Arkansas and Northwest Arkansas forums, then, would serve to make it easier to locate topics.

Just my opinion.

It would not be a good thing to exclusively create a subforum for only one of Arkansas' two largest metros, when there is much discussion of both on this forum. That would leave one to mingle with the rest of the topics, and defeat the purpose of a new subforum, which is to organize topics for the sake of convenience.

I'm glad you made the suggestion, Mith. Thus far, the majority is in favor of subforums. If we do get them, it would take some work to round up the topics.

Edited by Arkansawyer