Convention Center in Sobro...

rosen108

......Gaylord is trying to build up a client base of organizations that hold conventions every year and rotate them through out each of its ever expanding chain of hotel and convention centers..... This new Nashville convention center would hold conventions that are far beyond Gaylord's league.

Not to mention that if the city were to support a Gaylord expansion the downtown area would suffer greatly without the conventions that it greatly depends on to fill up its hotels and restaurants.

Good Point about Gaylord's different strategy! However, if opryland were to dramatically expand they could be playing in the major leagues...I think they have enough acrage to do it if they wanted to. You're right that it's clearly not their business strategy at this point.

Also good point about the downtown restaurants and hotels - I didn't even think about that. Your comment gives me a new angle on this issue: Why not create a non-profit consortium of hotels and restaurants downtown that will fund, build, and run a new convention center. That way no city money or involvement would be needed. If all the restaurants and hotels realize that an increase in convention business is in their best interests they would definitely be willing to contribute money and management resources to organizing the construction and operation of a new convention center.

What do you think?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kheldane

It seems to me that the funds to pay the bonds will be raised via a new hotel, restaurant, and hospitality tax with funds dedicated to debt service. So as long as the commission

Westin would be nice. I stay there if there's one wherever I go.

I'm just not a fan of anything Portman designs. I've stayed at the one in Charlotte, and it's fair (nothing special), but that's probably what will be put in as a HQ hotel. They tend to follow a cookie cutter approach.

Overall it's nice inside. I think the hotel is blasphemously ugly on the outside.

That hotel looks a little bit dated to me.... while I don't think a modern building would be best in that particular setting, if one were chose, I'd much rather it be along the lines of the McCormick place in Chicago...

south_entrance.jpg

main4.jpg

overview.jpg

It seems to me like all the "modern" buildings we see in America are too 70's modern, to jetsonian (is that a word?!?! :huh: )....

I don't understand why we hardly ever see the kind of modern buildings that are coming up in places like Asia, and the Middle East here in the States. Here are some examples:

221%20modern%20architecture.jpg

222%20modern%20architecture.jpg

towers.jpg

377.jpg

mamlaka.JPG

Those are the kinds of modern buildings that will still look good 10, 30, 100 years from now... most of the "modern" we see in the US quickly becomes outdated....

Westin would be nice. I stay there if there's one wherever I go.

I'm just not a fan of anything Portman designs. I've stayed at the one in Charlotte, and it's fair (nothing special), but that's probably what will be put in as a HQ hotel. They tend to follow a cookie cutter approach.

Overall it's nice inside. I think the hotel is blasphemously ugly on the outside.

I don't know, I mean I have not seen it in person but it shows quite well and sems very elegant and modern to me, Eames like even...

clt44.jpg

I don't know, I mean I have not seen it in person but it shows quite well and sems very elegant and modern to me, Eames like even...

clt44.jpg

I love that pic NB!

But the jury is still out on this one. There is part of me that wants to fall in love with this building. THen there is another that just wants to look the other way. Either way, it does make the skyline look modern (unitl that style goes out of style 20 years from now).

Hey Cheeriokid!

I went over to see the convention centers... WOW!! The Providence one, I loved... as well as the DC, AND the Grandrapids, DeVos. Oh, and did you check out the Brisbane Convention Center.. its pretty cool...

Raleighs and Madison are nice too, and I really liked the Quito, Equador one!! Oh and I loved the interior of Pittsburgs convention center... being by the river, those white panels over the glass give one a feeling of being in a giant sailboat... pretty awesome!!

On a more conservative note, I loved how they integrated the Haynes Convention center to its surrounding area... and it is still a bit modern, but a more restrained modern... I think it worked really well...

This is, IMO the most significant development (assuming that it get built) that has happened in the short week since I've been out of town. That's really saying something when that includes the Nissan Headquarters annoucement! I really believe that building a Tier 1 convention facility in Nashville will have probably the single biggest impact on the development of downtown of anything that is currently being considered. I certainly do hope this can be accomplished, and I look forward with bated breath to more details!

By the way, I've been gone the past week on a business trip to Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I've got lots of pictures. What an amazing urban experience!!! I'll be glad to post pictures if others in the forum would like.

This is, IMO the most significant development (assuming that it get built) that has happened in the short week since I've been out of town. That's really saying something when that includes the Nissan Headquarters annoucement! I really believe that building a Tier 1 convention facility in Nashville will have probably the single biggest impact on the development of downtown of anything that is currently being considered. I certainly do hope this can be accomplished, and I look forward with bated breath to more details!

By the way, I've been gone the past week on a business trip to Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I've got lots of pictures. What an amazing urban experience!!! I'll be glad to post pictures if others in the forum would like.

Please post them. Amsterdam is increadibly dense!

This is, IMO the most significant development (assuming that it get built) that has happened in the short week since I've been out of town.

^^ Ditto that! One only needs to go back twenty years to when Atlanta expanded the GWCC and see how things took off from there. It's been expanded twice since then.

Archived