The Future of Professional Sports in New Orleans

NCB

Between talk of the Saints moving to Los Angeles, San Antonio, or staying in Louisiana, and the talk of the Hornets moving to Oklahoma City, Las Vegas, or staying in New Orleans, there has been alot going on with the future of pro sports in SE Louisiana.

What do you think about the future of pro sports in Southest Louisiana?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Terry Bradshaw...

I'd love to see this happen, but I don't like the signs. I, for one, believe that the whole San Antonio fiasco was driven by Tom Benson's grandaughter Rita. Tom Benson knows that he's an old man. He's not going to be around much longer. He's doing his best to set up his family for ownership in their city... San Antonio.

Mike Feder, upon his resignation yesterday, through sources, cited a strained relationship with Rita LeBlanc. Why? Because Mike Feder was in charge of marketing and ticket sales in Baton Rouge. Rita wants the team in S.A. Doesn't exactly make for a great relationship. Rita LeBlanc is just like her grandfather, perhaps worse.

Born and raised in San Antonio, nothing would please Rita more than to own an NFL team in San Antonio.

For this reason, unfortunately, I don't see Tom Benson selling to anyone. And it's a shame, because Terry Bradshaw is, in fact, serious about this. Unfortunately, he wants to buy something that is not for sale, and will not be.

"Tom Benson must go"

This is a great article..

Link

All I'm saying is the Saints will have a much better chance of salvation, as a Big Easy centerpiece, if Benson finds it within himself to step aside.

And watch from the sideline.

^I completely agree with this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears the Saints are closer to returning to New Orleans and playing their games in Louisiana during the 2006 season, based on information gathered Wednesday from a meeting conducted by NFL Players' Association executive director Gene Upshaw.

La. back in play, players say

They get impression from union head

Article

Some of the games will still have to be in Baton Rouge but it's obviously much closer than San Antonio.

Yea it's great to see that the Saints will most likely be playing all of their home games in SE Louisiana.

The chances that the franchise will move to San Antonio are gettting smaller and smaller everyday. The NFL simply doesn't want a team there, and the league has been impressed with the rebuilding of NOLA.

Yea it's great to see that the Saints will most likely be playing all of their home games in SE Louisiana.

The chances that the franchise will move to San Antonio are gettting smaller and smaller everyday. The NFL simply doesn't want a team there, and the league has been impressed with the rebuilding of NOLA.

I'm not sure if the NFL doesn't want a team in San Antonio. But I think they realize it would be a big mistake to let the Saints move out.

I'm not sure if the NFL doesn't want a team in San Antonio. But I think they realize it would be a big mistake to let the Saints move out.

Well Paul Tagliabue said that the NFL is not interested in moving to small markets. And many in the NFL don't view San Antonio as an NFL city. But that aside, I just don't see a city with 1.8 million people in their metro area getting a team before L.A., which has over 18 million people in it's metro area.

Well Paul Tagliabue said that the NFL is not interested in moving to small markets. And many in the NFL don't view San Antonio as an NFL city. But that aside, I just don't see a city with 1.8 million people in their metro area getting a team before L.A., which has over 18 million people in it's metro area.

I can see where they are coming from but you can't always just look at numbers. If you did then you'd obviously think there's no way Green Bay could support a team. What about Buffalo? I'm pretty sure they're smaller than San Antonio too. But anyway it would seem that Los Angeles would get a team before San Antonio did. But since many times they bring in a pair of teams at a time they both could get teams at the same time.

^Thats true.

I think the NFL is almost completely split on the New Orleans/San Antonio/Los Angeles choice for the Saints. The Saints will most likely stay in NOLA until '08 is rebuilding goes very slowly and little money or population comes to the city. But if NOLA continues to move forward in the rebuilding process, and key bills get passed in congress, then the Saints future would take a different route. I think the Saints situation will be interesting to watch in the next few years.

Tom Benson will be heading to court with the NFL if the league does not allow him to completely relocate the Saints franchise to San Antonio next season

Article from ESPN

^This was later noted as a fact.

I can tell you this, the New Orleans Saints will not be in San Antonio next season. The NFL is not going to buy into Benson's crap.

Tom Benson will be heading to court with the NFL if the league does not allow him to completely relocate the Saints franchise to San Antonio next season

Article from ESPN

^This was later noted as a fact.

I can tell you this, the New Orleans Saints will not be in San Antonio next season. The NFL is not going to buy into Benson's crap.

Yeah I don't know if I could see the NFL giving in and looking bad. Benson might be willing to look bad but I don't think the NFL want all the bad publicity even if they secretly agreed with him. It's a very odd situation.

Archived