The Future of Professional Sports in New Orleans

NCB

$112 Season tickets for the Saints, according to Tom Benson in an interview on WWL 870am. No reason not to show your civic pride and support your city's team. That's damn cheap.

I'm already in the process of buying some season tickets for the middle level. :D

Are you planning on going to a few games, TSmith?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm gonna buy a pair of season tickets. Gotta support them... hopefully a lot will.

Great!

Originally I had the "I'm not supporting a Tom Benson owned Saints team" attitude after some of his comments, but now I'm planning on supporting the franchise as much as possible. They've been our team for nearly 40 years now, and I want to do my best to help keep it that way. :D

• 4 weeks later...

The Saints aren't going nowhere. Besides, no other city has stuck with them through the good and bad like us New Orleans folk. We know they suck, but still we pack the Superdome to watch them play because that's how much support we show them. I won't lie, the Saints came very close to making the playoffs this past season, but they just couldn't win crucial games.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the saints future is looking bright now with drew brees as our new quarterback :thumbsup:

Definately! It will also help boost ticket sales, which were already flowing like crazy before the aquisition of Brees, which will show the NFL that New Orleanians will still support our team. :thumbsup:

Yeah , many people just can't seem to accept the Superdome is outdated . Many of the ex-dome teams like the Vikings ,Colts ,Seahawks,Texans , have/or about to get new state-of-the-art stadiums . The Cardinals and Jets are currently building one with a retractable roof ! It's about keepin'up with the Jones's. New Orleans never has seemed too interested in a brand new stadium , only renovating the "Dome" . That in itself will cost alot of $$ , so they may as well build something new ! I just don't see it happening.

The updates on the Dome that will be completed by next season are great. The Dome will have one of those halo screens, like you see going around in hockey or basketball arena's, new scoreboards, new giant video screens, new seats, renovations to all of the seating bowls, renovations on the hallways, suite's, walkways and corridors, and everything in between. And even more updates will be put into place if the Saints and Louisiana come to terms on a long-term deal. At that point you could see something like what Chicago did with Soldier Field, making the Superdome a whole new dome, but keeping it, along with its history and its memories in downtown New Orleans.

To me, the Superdome is just as much a part of New Orleans as the French Quarter or the Mississippi River. Some of my fondest memories from being a kid in New Orleans are centered around the Dome and Saints game's, and I would hate to see it go. I'm sure many people in the city feel the same way. :)

The upgrades on the Dome that will be completed by next season are great. The Dome will have one of those halo screens, like you see going around in hockey or basketball arena's, new scoreboards, new giant video screens, new seats, renovations to all of the seating bowls, renovations on the hallways, suite's, walkways and corridors, and everything in between. And even more updates will be put into place if the Saints and Louisiana come to terms on a long-term deal. At that point you could see something like what Chicago did with Soldier Field, making the Superdome a whole new dome, but keeping it, along with its history and its memories in downtown New Orleans.

To me, the Superdome is just as much a part of New Orleans as the French Quarter or the Mississippi River. Some of my fondest memories from being a kid in New Orleans are centered around the Dome and Saints game's, and I would hate to see it go. I'm sure many people in the city feel the same way. :)

You are right NCB , the Superdome is a very big/important part of New Orleans . Hey , that would be great to do something for the dome like Soldier Field in Chicago !

Does this renovation include some some major seating reconfigurations ? That has been a big complaint.

I think the NFL can basically do what it wants when it wants to move a team, especially if it has an excuse to (low attendance the past 3 years). The NBA does the same thing when it moved the Charlotte Hornets to NO. Maybe NOLA will taste what moving a team is like. We in CLT had to endure George Shinn's shady tactics, now it may be your turn to endure Tom Benson's.

^Well the NFL certainly wont have a low attendance excuse this year. Season tickets have been purchased at a faster rate this year than any year in the team's 39 year history. And the attendance for Sains games has always been around 67,000-68,000 through their history, and thats very good for a team who has won only a single playoff game since the franchise was founded. The Saints will be supported in New Orleans, no matter how big the city is demographically or economically.

New Orleans already know what losing a NBA Franchise taste like when they lost the JAZZ .

As far as the NFL goes , true it's mind boggling Los Angeles ; the 2nd largest market is without a team . But they could not even keep the Rams or the Raiders . Who's to say they are truly worthy ? I'm not worried about San Antonio, Texas does not need 3 NFL teams , and it's obvious the NFL does not want to be there either .

^Well the NFL certainly wont have a low attendance excuse this year. Season tickets have been purchased at a faster rate this year than any year in the team's 39 year history. And the attendance for Sains games has always been around 67,000-68,000 through their history, and thats very good for a team who has won only a single playoff game since the franchise was founded. The Saints will be supported in New Orleans, no matter how big the city is demographically or economically.

I don't think those attendance numbers are sufficient enough to keep the team. Y'all are ignorant of the fact that attendance doensn't mean jack. More money is made than just attendance. Although NO is a great city, mediocre attendance won't save the team from moving. LA is Benson's goal, and he'll move 'em there unless someone does first. Hell, y'all got our Hornets after 14 years of being the NBA's best attendance, while in Charlotte. According to Forbes the Saints were the 26th most valued team in the NFL (5th worst) in 2004 and in 2005 they were the 22nd most valued team with the Market being the 4th worst $90 mil., only ahead of Oakland , Arizona and Minnesota.

Btw, Texas could easily support a third team. The state has 34 million people and both Texas teams are in the top 5 of worth. The Panthers, from Charlotte (the same city the Hornets moved from) have a market worth $154 million the 8th highest higher than any other city in the south outside of Texas (even 52 million higher than ATL), yet the NBA still moved from the city. If I were NO I'd be working the NFL for a new franchise.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/304841.html

I don't think those attendance numbers are sufficient enough to keep the team. Y'all are ignorant of the fact that attendance doensn't mean jack. More money is made than just attendance. Although NO is a great city, mediocre attendance won't save the team from moving. LA is Benson's goal, and he'll move 'em there unless someone does first. Hell, y'all got our Hornets after 14 years of being the NBA's best attendance, while in Charlotte. According to Forbes the Saints were the 26th most valued team in the NFL (5th worst) in 2004 and in 2005 they were the 22nd most valued team with the Market being the 4th worst $90 mil., only ahead of Oakland , Arizona and Minnesota.

Btw, Texas could easily support a third team. The state has 34 million people and both Texas teams are in the top 5 of worth. The Panthers, from Charlotte (the same city the Hornets moved from) have a market worth $154 million the 8th highest higher than any other city in the south outside of Texas (even 52 million higher than ATL), yet the NBA still moved from the city. If I were NO I'd be working the NFL for a new franchise.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/304841.html

You need to research your facts. The Saints have some of the best attendance numbers in the NFL... much better than just "mediocre". The Saints also rank in the top third in revenues... it's Tom Benson's dirty little secret. Franchise value has nothing to do with these numbers. The Forbes list is worthless... the Hornets leaving Charlotte proves this. As for the Hornets, Charlotte lost them because of their lease and arena deal. The Hornets only have to sell an average of about 11,000 tickets per game to remain profitable. This is because Louisiana stepped up to the plate and gave them, arguably, the best lease deal in the NBA... a deal that remains intact to this day with no possibilities of an "out". Neither team is going anywhere.

HeyCarolinaDayDreamin, 34 million people in Texas ? Did you mean California ? Texas has 21 million people ! You sound pretty upset , is it because the Bobcats are the NBA cellar-dwellers ? Don't worry about the NFL leaving ? Los Angeles wants no part of Benson . The NBA is more of a toss-up ; but lets see how attendence in OKC would be after the terrible season the Hornets had last year.

HeyCarolinaDayDreamin, 34 million people in Texas ? Did you mean California ? Texas has 21 million people ! You sound pretty upset , is it because the Bobcats are the NBA cellar-dwellers ? Don't worry about the NFL leaving ? Los Angeles wants no part of Benson . The NBA is more of a toss-up ; but lets see how attendence in OKC would be after the terrible season the Hornets had last year.

Yes your right Texas has about 22.5 million I must have confused the electoral college with population (it has 34 electoral votes). No how could I be upset about the Bobcats, they are in their second season. They have won 1 LESS playoff game as the AINTS have in 38 years. I'd be willing to call the Saints an ALL TIME CELLAR DWELLER. I understand y'all are proud of y'alls teams but you are ignorant if you think the Hornets and Aints aren't strongly considering relocation. I think the chance of the Hornets moving is above 80 percent. I talked with former Hornets TV announcer Steve Martin and he said the Hornets were going to move eventually. On Forbes.com the Hornets ARE THE MOST WORTHLESS TEAM @ 225 mil. With the NO market only being worth 66 mil., while Charlotte's is 85 mil. The "cellar-dwellar" Bobcats are worth 75 mil more than the Hornets. I bet Ole Georgie Shinn could take that move back.... And in response to another ill informed contributer to this forum, the Saints were down right crappy in Gate Receipts third to last in 2005 ($34 mil) and 4th to last in 2004 ($33 mil). Bye bye Hornets... Saints fans don't hold your breath... Maybe NOLA could get a NHL team. I think the Buffalo Sabers might could move to NOLA. That might be as likely as the Hornets or Saints staying.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/32/328959.html

As stated before, no other city would properly support the Saints like New Orleans. I really wouldn't be too sad about the Hornets moving because to me, N.O. is more of a football than basketball city. The Saints were supposed to move several years ago, but nothing went down. I seriously hope none of you are thinking that San Antonio would show the Saints love, because that would not be the case. I'm willing to bet that SA sports fans just started being Spurs fans after they started winning titles.

Archived