The Future of Professional Sports in New Orleans

NCB

Personally, I'd like to see them stick with an improved Superdome. The Superdome is really an archietectural marvel. No other dome today even compares to it. The Georgia Dome looks like a big circus tent... while the superdome is concete and steel. I love the dome. However, it is time for some new "siding", for lack of a better term. The siding on the dome is becoming horribly oxidized. But the dome can be improved, and it should. I have an attatchment to the dome because it is so recognizable, and so beutiful... and it was without a doubt... WAY before it's time. Not only that... it saved the lives of some 25,000 people during this city's darkest hours. Sure the roof got some holes, but the people survived. She has brought us Superbowls... she has brought us notoriety... she has brought us respect...and she has protected our citizens in a time of crisis. It's a classic. Long live the Superdome... it will always hold a special place in the hearts of true New Orleanians.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would Benson want to take the Saints out of New Orleans? New Orleans has been good to the Saints, supported them through the good and bad. He's a moron. Just do an overhaul of the Superdome, no need to move the team elsewhere. Funny how owners want to just pack up and move, when in most cases all that's needed is renovations of their existing stadium.

I completely agree with TSmith. I also have an attachment to the Superdome. It's as much a part of New Orleans as the French Quarter is. I can remember when I was a little kid, my dad brought me to the Superdome, and a man opened the door on the ground level and asked if I wanted to see the inside. The man took us inside, and let me walk out on the field. And when your just a little kid, and you look up from the field to see the roof of this monster 27 stories above you, its amazing. Hell, its amazing when your grown too. I couldn't stand to see the Superdome go.

Just do an overhaul of the Superdome, no need to move the team elsewhere. Funny how owners want to just pack up and move, when in most cases all that's needed is renovations of their existing stadium.

As long as the locals pay for a "renovation"...and not FEMA (read: the rest of the American Taxpayers) :whistling:

As long as the locals pay for a "renovation"...and not FEMA (read: the rest of the American Taxpayers) :whistling:

Upstate, all we want down here is our fair share of our own oil and gas revenues. If we get that, we won't need a dime from taxpayers. Write your representatives.

I think it's insane at this time for the Saints to even consider leaving New Orleans and Benson's a jackass for approaching the issue. I understand NO may not be able to sustain them and if attendance and other support is a big problem once the team is playing there again then Benson has his case to leave and then I can't blame him. That city's identity is tied so deeply to the Saints it would be a grievous wound to lose them.

Fortunately, Tagliague is vehemently against it. I don't think his criticism of San Antonio's market size is fair because Austin is so close and boosts the population draw by as much as a couple of the smallest NFL markets would. I think SA should be considered for a team in the future, just not this one right now.

I think it's insane at this time for the Saints to even consider leaving New Orleans and Benson's a jackass for approaching the issue. I understand NO may not be able to sustain them and if attendance and other support is a big problem once the team is playing there again then Benson has his case to leave and then I can't blame him. That city's identity is tied so deeply to the Saints it would be a grievous wound to lose them.

Fortunately, Tagliague is vehemently against it. I don't think his criticism of San Antonio's market size is fair because Austin is so close and boosts the population draw by as much as a couple of the smallest NFL markets would. I think SA should be considered for a team in the future, just not this one right now.

I agree, San Antonio and Austin are some nice growing markets and both are close enough to each other to help each other's market. I think it would be a good place to place a team, we all know football is taken pretty seriously in Texas. But I do agree it needs to be another team not the Saints.

Saints to play at home next year

Benson's announcement met with praise, cautious optimism

Article

This is certainly great news. Everyone knew Tagliabue was going to keep the Saints in New Orleans for 2006, and everyone knew that Benson was opposed to it. Now Benson is pulling this mr. nice guy crap. Talking about how happy he is that he was allowed to bring the team back to New Orleans. :rolleyes:

But anyway, this is great for the city, the fans, and the entire coastal area. :thumbsup:

^I have to agree with the move. Haslett just wasn't getting the job done, and it has been like this every year since 2000. The Saints have great talent on both offense and defense, but the coaching sucks. Now I'm interested in who the replacement will be.

^I have to agree with the move. Haslett just wasn't getting the job done, and it has been like this every year since 2000. The Saints have great talent on both offense and defense, but the coaching sucks. Now I'm interested in who the replacement will be.

Yeah I haven't heard too much news on who will replace him. I'll have to talk to one of my friends who's a big saints fan and ask him what he thinks about all of this and who might be the next coach.

^I think the NFL will find a way to keep them here for at least two years, even if we have bad support. The NFL will give New Orleans a chance(2 or 3 years most likely) to prove that the city can still support the Saints, and if the city is not able to support them, it's off to Los Angeles for the Saints.

It would have been nice for the Saints to have kept Louisiana boy Jake Delhomme ! Are the Saints/Haslett regreting this now ? Haslett insisted on Brooks too long. The biggest mistake was two-years ago(or 3) keeping an injured Brooks at starter for the last two-games against the

NFL's worst;Lions & Bengals..just needing to win one of those games to make the playoffs..LOST both of them and missed the playoffs after starting red-hot finishing 8-8.The whole time,showing no confidence in Delhomme.The Saints were only interested in him as a back-up."No thanks", he said ..Taking the NFC South rival Carolina Panthers to the SuperBowl the very next year !!! Ouch ! Another Louisiana boy,plays QB for the Panthers ! From BR Rookie/3rd string Stefan Lefors ! I have been friends with his family for years !!

The Saints got red-hot too late last year finishing 8-8 and barely missing the playoffs again !

This season started so promising begining with a win on the road @ Carolina! Too many key injuries,too many close ,crazy,losses+home situation snowballed out-of control !!! 3-13..2nd pick in this years draft ! Leinhart/Young or Free Agent QB...Who do the Saints want to pick ?? Who wants to play for them? Punk QB- Leinhart probably wants to stay in Cali and become a Raider..or a Titan ?? Who do you think they should draft ?

Archived