Nov. 14th UP|PVD Forum Meet

Cotuit

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for anyone who hasn't been to the previous meetings and doesn't know what I look like (or has been and can't remember or blocked it out), I'm wearing a black shirt and have a maroon baseballcap with the word BAR

I would like to thank the group for choosing Tazza for a meeting place. I planned on trying to drop by and say hello but I could not get out of work soon enough. I was still inspired to go to Tazza though and my wife and I managed to grab dinner there while you were meeting. It was our first time there and we will go back. It was nice to be having a nice little meal on Westminster St. There are more details in the "Dining in Providence" thread.

It looked like you had a nice turn out. Your corner of the place was certainly packed!

I'll try to make the next meeting, but since I work in Newport 5:30 is a little tough for me to make.

-Mark

You should have sidled up and joined us. Glad you enjoyed tazza though. They didn't seem to mind that we took over the whole back end of the place (I think we spent enough money on drinks and such, maybe if it were Friday they wouldn't have been so accomodating).

We do have some East Bay people that probably have trouble with 5:30pm. We could have a weekend meeting at some point if people are open to it.

How did this go? Were you there Thom? Wish I coulda come, but there's that whole 185 miles of Massachusetts in my way...

I'm also very interested in anything Thom has to say, since he's in the contruction business. However, he hardly ever visits/posts on this board. I beleive he has inside information on the masonic temple project, amongst others. C'mon Thom, give it up! :D

There have been like three forum meetings now, but those who don't/can't attend never find out what was discussed :( Give us a bone and let us know what happened.

There have been like three forum meetings now, but those who don't/can't attend never find out what was discussed :( Give us a bone and let us know what happened.

It's a secret. :whistling:

I'm also very interested in anything Thom has to say, since he's in the contruction business. However, he hardly ever visits/posts on this board. I beleive he has inside information on the masonic temple project, amongst others. C'mon Thom, give it up! :D

"Thom" is Thomas Deller, Providence Director of Planning. He's a very very busy man, spending most of his time listening to people like us, or people exactly the opposite of us. :P

Alix Ogden, the Parks Department Director was there as well last night.

A lot was discussed, it will take some time to process it all and bring it to the forum, but we will. There were 18 people there last night, not counting MarkOne and his wife who were watching from afar.

After attending last night, I might not suggest Tazza for future meetings; the problem was that it was really difficult to hear what was being said just a few feet away. I think this has to do with both the acoustics of Tazza, the noise of a functioning bar, and the music playing.

Perhaps, since we were such good patrons, if we were to meet there again, they might be so kind as to turn off the music, at least in the area we are taking over occupying.

I really enjoyed meeting people last night and the discussions we had. I especially enjoyed hearing Thom's input. Thanks for coming Thom!

I was impressed at the turnout, too. Last meeting I attended, it was just a few of us. I'm really happy to see how many folks are interested in our discussions.

I'm sorry I had to leave as early as I did. It seems things were just getting interesting.

Lets do this again soon! :thumbsup:

Does the library have meeting rooms that can be booked? I was wracking my brains trying to come up with someplace that we could freely or cheaply book a meeting room, but I never even thought of the library until this minute.

After attending last night, I might not suggest Tazza for future meetings; the problem was that it was really difficult to hear what was being said just a few feet away. I think this has to do with both the acoustics of Tazza, the noise of a functioning bar, and the music playing.

Perhaps, since we were such good patrons, if we were to meet there again, they might be so kind as to turn off the music, at least in the area we are taking over occupying.

I really enjoyed meeting people last night and the discussions we had. I especially enjoyed hearing Thom's input. Thanks for coming Thom!

I was impressed at the turnout, too. Last meeting I attended, it was just a few of us. I'm really happy to see how many folks are interested in our discussions.

I'm sorry I had to leave as early as I did. It seems things were just getting interesting.

Lets do this again soon! :thumbsup:

I also agree that while Tazza is cool. It might not be the best place for a meeting of this size. Since I was over 45 minutes late and you all were so packed in that corner It would have been very hard for me to join in (had I not been on a "date"). I realize that 18 is a larger number than expected so growing pains are to be expected. If I run across a spot that makes sense I'll forward it to the group. It is tough to find free meeting spaces.

-Mark

The last two meetings we had half as many people show up as voted that they were coming. This one we had more than voted they were coming, which is fine, but I really didn't anticipate 18! I was sitting at the bar eating my salad at 5:30 and wasn't sure anyone would come. Ari arrived, then Garris, and Garris asked me what I thought the turn out would be, before I could answer him, the group grew from 3 to 10, then 12, and eventually 18!

I'd be happy to lend my apartment for the next meeting. I don't have 18 seats but I think we could figure something out.

Mike had mentioned that the room on the roof of the Peerless can be signed out by residents. If the two of you wanted to host us there, that would be swell. I wouldn't want to impose on anyone's home (especially since I'm not about to invite y'all to mine :lol: ), but if you're comfortable with that...

I don't know when we want to do the next meeting, I'm thinking people may start getting quite busy with the holidays and traveling and such. Perhaps if this thing with Burnside can gather some steam, that should be the next meeting (not that it will be a UP project, but it seems lots of us are interested in being involved).

Archived