Best places for dogs in Charlotte?

fz dogmother

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum, but a lifelong Norff Carolinian; actually moving to Charlotte, Elizabeth neighborhood, next week to start new life as single urban gal. Cue up the Mary Tyler Moore theme....

As you can tell from the moniker I'm a dogmother. I'm wondering where in the Queen City or surrounding environs dogs and their people like to hang out? My 4 legged pal is smallish, only 20 pounds, but loves to walk, run and romp. Her current boyfriend is a 75 pound Golden Retriever, so she likes to hang with the big dogs. Would welcome recommendations of good places to walk. Is Elizabeth dog friendly? Are there any "bark parks" that allow well-behaved (licensed and all that) dogs to run off-leash? Anything I ought to be aware of? How would you characterize Charlotte overall in terms of dog-friendliness?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about leash laws but I do know of a few pet friendly businesses near Elizabeth. There is a new doggy bakery/boutique in SouthEnd on S. Tryon, a pet friendly coffee shop in NODA called Smelly Cat (note the forumer hanging around here ;)) and a new pet friendly bar in NODA, I think it's actually called dog bar. I know Animal Medical Hospital is on Monroe Rd near Elizabeth and they provide great medical care for pets and are open 24 hours a day. Jackalope Jack's on 7th Street allows dogs at the tables on their patio.

As for walking your pet, Independence Park could provide a nice stroll, as could the residential streets of Elizabeth behind the hospital. CPCC's campus could be okay as well. Apparently McAlpine Park and Reedy Creek both have off leash areas but you have to sign a waver and pay a 35.00 annual fee to use the doggy parks. Hope that helps.

Good Luck with your new life as an urban single gal. Where in NC are you coming from?

I find Charlotte to be incredibly dog friendly, the in-town neighborhoods anyway. There are lots of people with dogs and new dog-related businesses opening up all the time. There's a self-serve dog wash that has recently opened in the mill building off of Central Avenue at Pecan.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad Charlotte is dog friendly. Also glad to read about NOFA (isn't there one in Wilmington, too? I used to live at the coast). Are the dog friendly parks close to town? Are they well-maintained? I used to live in Winston-Salem. The one dog park in the area was pretty shabbily maintained- mudholes, inattention to poop disposal, etc. Gotta figure out if it's worth the $35.

I'm moving to Charlotte from High Point, where I've lived for the past year or so. Prior to that it was Winston-Salem; before that was the coast, where I lived for many years. Let's see, where haven't I lived in NC? Asheville is about it, although I'm told I was conceived there. Maybe that it could be the next move.....

Oops it's Nofo. Too many fas das dos to keep up with. Guess cities are good for creating acronyms. Anyway, I loved dubone's photo tour of Elizabeth, or is it Liz? Not one but 2 pix of the new place! I've already walked Sophie to Independence Park, a short walk down Hawthorne Lane. Does any know if the pizza restaurant on corner of Hawthorne and 7th will allow pooches to sit outside with their people?

There is a leash free dog park on Lake Norman if you travel up that way. It's called Ramsey Creek park and along with the area for dogs to run with no leash, it gives some really great views of the Lake, there is a snack bar, and if you have a boat there is a pretty good public boat landing there too.

Oops it's Nofo. Too many fas das dos to keep up with. Guess cities are good for creating acronyms. Anyway, I loved dubone's photo tour of Elizabeth, or is it Liz? Not one but 2 pix of the new place! I've already walked Sophie to Independence Park, a short walk down Hawthorne Lane. Does any know if the pizza restaurant on corner of Hawthorne and 7th will allow pooches to sit outside with their people?

I think most places with an outdoor area will allow your dog to sit with you. I don't know specifically about Hawthorne's, but I'm sure it would be fine.

None of the dog parks are very close to the center of town, but if you want your dog to run without a leash then it's worth the $35 and the drive to get a pooch pass. Of course if your dog is well-behaved and will listen to you, then you could probably let her off leash at many of the regular parks--the leash law does not seem to be strictly enforced. Some of our neighbors have been using an empty field on Clement Ave. to let their dogs play.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad Charlotte is dog friendly. Also glad to read about NOFA (isn't there one in Wilmington, too? I used to live at the coast). Are the dog friendly parks close to town? Are they well-maintained? I used to live in Winston-Salem. The one dog park in the area was pretty shabbily maintained- mudholes, inattention to poop disposal, etc. Gotta figure out if it's worth the $35.

I'm moving to Charlotte from High Point, where I've lived for the past year or so. Prior to that it was Winston-Salem; before that was the coast, where I lived for many years. Let's see, where haven't I lived in NC? Asheville is about it, although I'm told I was conceived there. Maybe that it could be the next move.....

We take our guys to Ray's Fetching Meadow at McAlpine Creek Park on Monroe Rd. It's very well maintained and has lots of great dogs. It's a straight shot from Elizabteth up E 7th which becomes Monroe Rd. Not walkable but an easy drive. Lots of good nature trails too. Leash required.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+a...+Parks/Home.htm

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum, but a lifelong Norff Carolinian; actually moving to Charlotte, Elizabeth neighborhood, next week to start new life as single urban gal. Cue up the Mary Tyler Moore theme....

As you can tell from the moniker I'm a dogmother. I'm wondering where in the Queen City or surrounding environs dogs and their people like to hang out? My 4 legged pal is smallish, only 20 pounds, but loves to walk, run and romp. Her current boyfriend is a 75 pound Golden Retriever, so she likes to hang with the big dogs. Would welcome recommendations of good places to walk. Is Elizabeth dog friendly? Are there any "bark parks" that allow well-behaved (licensed and all that) dogs to run off-leash? Anything I ought to be aware of? How would you characterize Charlotte overall in terms of dog-friendliness?

The "unofficial" dog park that always has pups running around off-leash is at the Mint Muesem. There is a large park-like area that is void of anything but grass and trees. The times I have been there there are always dogs running free so if you looking for a place to run free without having to pay the CharMeck fees, that is a good place to go (and it is close to Elizabeth...right off of Randolf Rd).

Archived