Is this tempting anyone?

PghUSA

http://www.boboconnorformayor.com/applications.asp

Looks like up to 100 to 150 positions are open and volunteer slots on the various boards are also open to the "best and brightest", also looks like you don't even have to reside within the city per se.

I have to admit, and as you all probably know on this board, this is strangely appealing to me :lol:, I can actually do something constructive with my obession after all ;).

Anyone else thinking of throwing their hat in the ring on any of these?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G,

You should really think about joining one of the boards, I think you'd be excellent at it as well as holding the line on some of the insular, fiefdom crap that brings this region down.

As for myself I am in no way as qualified as some for a city director post, but I don't think there is any one out there as passionate or knowlegable about the city and region (wisdom is another matter but intelligent on what matters to Pittsburgh I think I got going for me).

Wonder how they would welcome a sworn Consolidator on Grant Street :lol:

^^Evergrey you should throw your hat in the ring on that. Remember though that those are the "director" positions, the ones that are appointed positions--NOT the bureaucracy aka the rank and file GIS people or accountants or civil servants, those aren't "appointed" or hired by the mayor but by the HR dept. at City Hall. Civil servant exams et. al. for those (probably not civil service exam for GIS but would have to go through the usual job applications for it).

It would be cool though for you to be the director overseeing all of it ;), definetly give you the freedom to mold the office to persue goals you set for it.

Is he offering any GIS positions? I suppose the CIS (City Information Systems) dept. would be for me.

GIS is in the City Planning Department, they laid off the whole staff the year after I worked there, so they may be re-hiring. You should look at the private sector first. The girl that left the planning department got a job with a private consulting firm that paid about three times as much!

p.s. GIS is the devil, it is such a pain to use. I hope microsoft comes out with a version that is easier :P

Passionate as I am about the city, I don't think I have any qualifications that would make them even give me a second glance, let alone choose me over other applicants. Still, I'll give some thought to it. It never hurts to try, right?

G,

The boards aren't all that commitment (no pay usually either) but theres all sorts of people on those, from grandmas to consultants to former CEO's and even a few fresh college grads. Afterall the boards are looking for a "slice" of society, each individual board should have a few "experts" of that field on them but they also need just common folk with a pathos for that area but very little experience. The experts sometimes forget that after all their "theory" their proposals still have to pass the grandma or college-kid test. ;).

Archived