• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Charlotte Rooftop Restaurant/Observation Platform

Charlotte Skyscraper Rooftop Restaurant/Observation Platform  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will Charlotte ever see a Rooftop Restaurant/Observation Tower on one of its Skyscrapers?

• No
    • Yes

I've always wondered why the tower builders in Charlotte have not done more to turn their towers into tourist attractions. I am reminded of when the Peachtree Tower opened it Atlanta it was quite a draw with the rotating restaurant at the top and the quite thrilling glass elevator up the side of the building. Prior to that there was another rotating rootop restaurant in Atlanta that resembled a space ship. And I don't need to explain the allure of going to the top of the Empire State Building, and the former World Trade Towers (for those of us lucky enough to have done so).

So why isn't there anything like this in Charlotte? None of our towers have observation towers open to the public, and as far as I know, there are none planned for the multiple announcements of new towers that are now known by our group.

It would seem to be a big win for the city if we could have an attraction such as that.

(I'm aware there is a restaurant on the 30th floor of the old First Union tower)

I've always wondered why the tower builders in Charlotte have not done more to turn their towers into tourist attractions. I am reminded of when the Peachtree Tower opened it Atlanta it was quite a draw with the rotating restaurant at the top and the quite thrilling glass elevator up the side of the building. Prior to that there was another rotating rootop restaurant in Atlanta that resembled a space ship. And I don't need to explain the allure of going to the top of the Empire State Building, and the former World Trade Towers (for those of us lucky enough to have done so).

So why isn't there anything like this in Charlotte? None of our towers have observation towers open to the public, and as far as I know, there are none planned for the multiple announcements of new towers that are now known by our group.

It would seem to be a big win for the city if we could have an attraction such as that.

(I'm aware there is a restaurant on the 30th floor of the old First Union tower)

I go many times to Bentley's on top of the Charlotte Plaza Building. It is really great food, and the views are spectacular. Give it a shot. It is open to the public. You don't even have to eat, just grab a drink at the bar,relax and take in the sights.

Here is their home page if you want to check out the menu

http://www.bentleyson27.com/

A2

The problem here is that most of the tall buildings are tightly controlled by the banks, and they want to keep careful track of who is in their towers. A building like the empire state building is actually not really a significant building in the sense of tenants, so there aren't those security concerns.....The two in Atlanta are hotels, which by nature draw in tourists, so again, they aren't particularly concerned about people wandering where they don't belong.

We do have Bentley's on 27 which is the top floor of the Charlotte Plaza building. It has great views and expensive food....though it does have a nice bar area with a great view.....