Columbus hotel boom

ATLman1

Looks like Columbus is headed for a hotel construction boom. The new hotels will add over 1,000 new rooms to Columbus. At least 8 new hotels are in the planning stages or are in the development stage. They incude another Country Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Microtel (possibly 3 but 1 under construction currently), Ramada, Sleep Inn, Staybridge Suites, and the upstart extended-day chain Value Place. The Value Place hotel will be located in south Columbus near Fort Benning. It will have 121 rooms. Construction will begin in the spring. Country Inn & Suites will be located on Bradley Park Drive. The first Microtel is under construction off of I-185 by the visitors center. Holiday Inn Express is being built in the North Lake Pwky shopping area. Groundbreaking for it will be in December. Homewood Suites and Staybridge Suites will also be located on the northside while Ramada andSleep Inn will be located on the southside. Also, the 5-story Heritage Inn downtown has been purchased by Quality Inn.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the Ralston might be revived from its slumber as a retirement home? Surely a grand, solid hotel is better for Columbus than plastic hotels on its perimeter? Has there been any consideration of this possibility?

You are so right -- hotels (actually, motels) on the outskirts are nothing compared to a convention-

oriented hotel DT. Unfortunately, nothing has been announced. However, plans are being proposed for

a large hotel(s) at Dillingham Bridge on PC side. Would have views of river and a short pleasant walk

across bridge to the new (and awesome) expanded convention/trade center. You can

get an idea of proposal at

www.phenixcityriverfront.com

BTW, PC is moving ahead with its development of riverfront -- land now being cleared @ foot

of old 14th St bridge for college campus and old Riverview Apts being razed/remodelled for

new townhouse complex. However, it may be a while before development "flows downstream" fom there to

Dillingham and hotel site. I suspect that that will be after whitewater comes on line and tourism

grows.

The logical solution is expansion of the Marriott (old Hilton/Wyndam). The lot next to it is vacant (or

mostly so) and the ideal place -- being directly across from the center. I hear thru the grapevine that

talks are on-going but developers and City cannot agree on terms. Apparently the developers want

concessions/assurances from City which the City is not willing to give/make.

As I have said before, I suspect that there will be a number of boutique hotels in the DT area (like

Gates House and Rothchild/Pound House BB's) before the dam breaks (allusion to whitewater intentional) and a large, national 5-star convention hotel is put in place. Pretty sure that Ralston wont ever be

retooled as hotel, however. Way too dated to be renovated and would have to be gutted. Might as well

start over -- at a location closer to the river/center. Afraid

that Ralston will therefore remain residential

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

350 new hotel rooms

Fort Benning, corporate, conventions, leisure travelers spurring boom

The Columbus hospitality market will add nearly 350 hotel rooms or suites by the end of this year to meet the demand of conventions, business, military and leisure travelers. The building boom is far from over with nearly 200 more rooms being added next year and the strong likelihood of even more as the city grows, Fort Benning's mission expands and tourist attractions such as the National Infantry Museum are developed in coming years.

Here's a breakdown of what's on the way on the hotel front for the Columbus metro area:

Value Place: 121 extended-stay suites, opening this fall at 1801 Victory Drive.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites: 82 rooms, opening in fourth quarter 2006 on Northlake Parkway, off Veterans Parkway.

Staybridge Suites: 83 extended-stay suites, opening second quarter 2007 at corner of Whittlesey and Whitesville roads.

Microtel Inns & Suites: 56 rooms, opening early November at 1728 Fountain Court off the Interstate 185's Williams Road exit.

Homewood Suites by Hilton: 91 suites, opening fall 2007 on Whittlesey Boulevard, across from the Acura/BMW dealerships, in the Columbus Park Cross development. Groundbreaking expected within two months.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites: 82 rooms, opening fourth quarter 2007 near the existing Holiday Inn Express on the U.S. Highway 280 Bypass in Phenix City. The existing 119-room Holiday Inn Express would become another brand.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites: 84 rooms, opening early 2008 at the intersection of Interstate 85 and U.S. Hwy. 280 in Opelika, Ala. Ground will be broken early next year.

• 6 months later...

Several new hotels will be coming to the Columbus market:

The 82-room Hawthorn Suites at 2974 North Lake Parkway was damaged beyond repair due to the tornado 2 weeks ago. In its place will be built an 82-suite Hyatt Place, a full-service property that could be ready within a year.

Other new hotel construction:

Springhill Suites: 89-unit Marriott property just beginning construction on Whittlesey Boulevard adjacent to the Residence Inn by Marriott. Should open by the end of this year.

TownPlace Suites: 86 units, the Marriott property should begin construction this year near the Fairfield Inn & Suites off Armour Road. It should open in the first half of 2008.

• 1 month later...

Several new hotels will be coming to the Columbus market:

The 82-room Hawthorn Suites at 2974 North Lake Parkway was damaged beyond repair due to the tornado 2 weeks ago. In its place will be built an 82-suite Hyatt Place, a full-service property that could be ready within a year.

Other new hotel construction:

Springhill Suites: 89-unit Marriott property just beginning construction on Whittlesey Boulevard adjacent to the Residence Inn by Marriott. Should open by the end of this year.

TownPlace Suites: 86 units, the Marriott property should begin construction this year near the Fairfield Inn & Suites off Armour Road. It should open in the first half of 2008.

Well looks like the hotel growth continues in the Columbus Market ground was broken a few weeks ago on the homewood suites along Whittlesley blvd across from BMW of Columbus also Construction started about a weekago on the townplace suites near the Airport. The Ramada Inn near Northlake Parkway is coming along fine there shingling the roof now. They lost the roof and the 4th floor of the building in the March 1st Tornado as well as a new hotel on Bradley Park drive behind Publix is coming along nicely rumored to be a second Country Inn suites. The other side of the bridge is also seeing growth The Holiday Inn express on 280 in Phenix City is no more it became a Quality inn about 2 weeks ago and there is a sign that says a new Holiday Inn Express will be built next to the Quality Inn don't know when construction is suppose to start. Also while riding around today i notice a new building going up along Moon Road at the intersection of J.R. Allen Parkway in front of the Knology building as of now its 2 stories and just a wooden frame, but does appear to be a hotel under construction. It may also be a office building of some sort, but with its close location to the highway i would suspect it is a hotel, but also might be a office building. If anyone finds out what it is let us know. I guess the old problem of it bieng hard to find a room in Columbus is over because the market is booming.

Well looks like the hotel growth continues in the Columbus Market ground was broken a few weeks ago on the homewood suites along Whittlesley blvd across from BMW of Columbus also Construction started about a weekago on the townplace suites near the Airport. The Ramada Inn near Northlake Parkway is coming along fine there shingling the roof now. They lost the roof and the 4th floor of the building in the March 1st Tornado as well as a new hotel on Bradley Park drive behind Publix is coming along nicely rumored to be a second Country Inn suites. The other side of the bridge is also seeing growth The Holiday Inn express on 280 in Phenix City is no more it became a Quality inn about 2 weeks ago and there is a sign that says a new Holiday Inn Express will be built next to the Quality Inn don't know when construction is suppose to start. Also while riding around today i notice a new building going up along Moon Road at the intersection of J.R. Allen Parkway in front of the Knology building as of now its 2 stories and just a wooden frame, but does appear to be a hotel under construction. It may also be a office building of some sort, but with its close location to the highway i would suspect it is a hotel, but also might be a office building. If anyone finds out what it is let us know. I guess the old problem of it being hard to find a room in Columbus is over because the market is booming.

The hotel going up behind Publix in Bradley Park is a Country Inn and Suites. It is about time that the Homewood Suites started construction. I believe the building that is going up beside Knology's HQ is a hotel. I am not sure which one though. The Springhill Suites I believe has started construction behind the Residence Inn and TGI Fridays in Columbus Park. The hotel industry is going good right now in the city. It seems that every available piece of land in North Columbus is being developed or is in the planning stages. I haven't been home in over a month so I am looking forward to seeing some of the progress this Friday!

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel going up behind Publix in Bradley Park is a Country Inn and Suites. It is about time that the Homewood Suites started construction. I believe the building that is going up beside Knology's HQ is a hotel. I am not sure which one though. The Springhill Suites I believe has started construction behind the Residence Inn and TGI Fridays in Columbus Park. The hotel industry is going good right now in the city. It seems that every available piece of land in North Columbus is being developed or is in the planning stages. I haven't been home in over a month so I am looking forward to seeing some of the progress this Friday!

Well yup it is certainly a hotel going up there on moon rd @ J.R. Allen parkway they have the frame of the building completed its a 3 story hotel the roof is on as well as the woodframe of all the walls and the entrance area is up. It is extremely long though not nothing like many of the hotels in the columbus area I'd estimate probaly about 50-60 rooms. Still not sure of what brand it will be, but there is also a pending alcoholic beverage liscence on the property I'll keep everyone updated As I learn more

• 2 months later...

I am totally surprised that the Amerisuites hotel on northlake parkway is still standing i thought they said that structure was going to be torn down and a hyatt of some sort was going to be built there due to the massive damage from March tornado? I'm wondering though the land across the street from it has several large pieces of construction equipment working there i'm wondering are they going to rebuild it over there. or if possibly there is another hotel about to be built there has anyone heard anything about that piece of land? Also I see construction work has finally started on a new Holiday Inn Express for Phenix City on US 280.

I am totally surprised that the Amerisuites hotel on northlake parkway is still standing i thought they said that structure was going to be torn down and a hyatt of some sort was going to be built there due to the massive damage from March tornado? I'm wondering though the land across the street from it has several large pieces of construction equipment working there i'm wondering are they going to rebuild it over there. or if possibly there is another hotel about to be built there has anyone heard anything about that piece of land? Also I see construction work has finally started on a new Holiday Inn Express for Phenix City on US 280.

There was an article in the paper about the Amerisuites Hotel. They are going to turn it into a Hyatt Place. They mentioned that workers were gutting the inside so thats why we can't see anything being done right now. I think it is supposed to be ready by the end of the year or early January. I am not sure what the other construction is across from it. If anyone knows please tell us!

Down the street from the Amerisuites they were building a Ramada Hotel and the weather blew the roof of it. Just last week they put up a new sign, it will now by a Wyndham Garden Hotel (same brand as the once-Wyndham downtown)

I haven't noticed that sign yet, but it's been a few days since I've been down that route. There was an article in the paper the other day that the developer who worked on Main Street Village at Walt Disney World is planning to develop a small area in Midtown on Macon Road near the new library.

Also I heard a wild rumor a month or so ago and have heard nothing since then. The rumor was that a Bass Pro Shop was planned for the lot next to the new Ashley Furniture. Frankly, although I'd love to have a Bass Pro Shop here, that lot looks a little small. Has anyone else heard this rumor or something similar. Again, I doubt that what I heard was accurate.

I haven't noticed that sign yet, but it's been a few days since I've been down that route. There was an article in the paper the other day that the developer who worked on Main Street Village at Walt Disney World is planning to develop a small area in Midtown on Macon Road near the new library.

Also I heard a wild rumor a month or so ago and have heard nothing since then. The rumor was that a Bass Pro Shop was planned for the lot next to the new Ashley Furniture. Frankly, although I'd love to have a Bass Pro Shop here, that lot looks a little small. Has anyone else heard this rumor or something similar. Again, I doubt that what I heard was accurate.

I heard Bass Pro Shops was looking as well, but it was from an uncredible source. That would be a small area, but I guess it depends on how the site plan can be configured. It would work maybe, but it would be a smaller store probably.

• 1 month later...

Here is a list of hotels presently under construction in Columbus-Phenix City or soon to be under construction.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1. Homewood Suites by hilton- 91 units being constucted on Whittlesey Blvd Opening Mar. 08

2. Springhill Suites by Marriot- 89 units under construction on WHittlesey Blvd Opening Early 08

3. Country Inn and Suites- On Rollins Way off of Bradley Park Drive in Columbus Opening next month

4. TownPlace Suites- 86 units under construction off Armour Road next to the Fairfield Inn & Suites. Opening April 08

5. Hometown Suites- Knology Way @ Moon Road Opening late 07. (under construction in same area a small shopping center/resturant, and racetrac gas station)

6. Wyndaham Garden Inn- Located on Veterans Court behind Mercedes Benz of Columbus. Opening later this year. was previously being built as Ramada, but was badly damaged by tornado on March 1 in Columbus.

7. Suburban Extended Stay- 120 Room hotel on Victory Drive. Opening next spring

8. Hyatt Place- Formerly the Ameri-suites on Northlake Parkway. inside being gutted and new roof bieng place on the building following damage of Tornado on March 1st. Will consist of 82-suites.

9. Holiday Inn Express (Phenix City)- 82 room hotel located on US 280/431 in Phenix City next to the Quality inn which once was a holiday inn. Opening in November of 2008

10. Hampton Inn & Suites (Phenix City)- Located at the interchange US 280 & US 431 south in Phenix City. No completion date set yet.

SOON TO BE CONSTRUCTED:

11. Fairfield Inn & Suites 80 to 90 room property on Victory drive Opening late 2008. Will be placed at the intersection of Victory Drive & South lumpkin road on a property formley occupied by the Lucky 7 strip club, a pawn shop, and a tattoo shop. Will also have a resturant located on site. More than likely a independent steakhouse called Millhouse Steakhouse.

12. Holiday Inn Express (South)-NO ground breaking date set yet, but is going to be placed at the intersection of Victory Drive and Benning Drive near Ft. Bennings Main gate.

These 12 projected properties will push the number of Hotel rooms in the city of Columbus to over 5000. In addition there are also at least 4-6 other hotels looking to locate in the city. Mostly on the southside near Fort Benning.

• 1 month later...

Well there appears to be another hotel of some sort going up on Victory Drive. It's a four story structure located behind The Value Place motel which opened up late last year near rotary park. No name is up yet and it's just a frame as of now, but i'll post any new details I can find out. Also on the same site which is located next to the Dolly Madison Bakery there is huddle house resturant under construction as well as a small strip shopping center.

• 1 month later...

Well there appears to be another hotel of some sort going up on Victory Drive. It's a four story structure located behind The Value Place motel which opened up late last year near rotary park. No name is up yet and it's just a frame as of now, but i'll post any new details I can find out. Also on the same site which is located next to the Dolly Madison Bakery there is huddle house resturant under construction as well as a small strip shopping center.

What hotel is this?

• 6 months later...

Construction has begun on another hotel in the City of Columbus. Microtel is building another location in Columbus. They opened one up on Williams road last year and now have started construction on a new hotel at the intersection of St. Marys Road and Interstate 185 North.

Another Holiday Inn Express is suppose to begin construction in the first quarter of 2009 on Victory Drive @ the intersection of Ft. Benning Road. Also another Fairfield Inn will be coming into Columbus South on Victory Drive @ the intersection of South Lumpkin Road. Construction should begin within the next 2 months on that project.

Construction continues across the Chattahochee River on a new Hampton Inn at the Intersection of US 431 south and US 280. Also Phenix City is getting another Days Inn which is presently under construction on US Highway 80 near Ladiona Elementry School.

• 3 months later...

Archived