Whats up with Cordova?

Rural King

I saw a report last night on a Memphis Broadcast Network newscast about how there are more houses for sell in Cordova then in Midtown, East Memphis, and Germantown combined, and that is takes the longest to sell a house in Cordova compared to anywhere else in the city. Is Cordova on some sort of economic decline? Is its population aging and all wanting to move out of the city? Is it crime, bad schools, white flight...etc? Whats the deal?

I'm not familar with Cordova at all. The report though shocked me. All the homes and neighborhoods looked very nice, but they were all for sell. All the newcast gave as causes were that the housing market was glutted in Cordova (with prices set to high) and too few buyers. Is it that simple?

Just curious. So Memphis forumers, can you hook me up with some local intel on whats going on in Cordova?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The City of Memphis recently annexed Cordova in some form. As soon as that happened a lot of people in that area got scared about the future. Also, Cordova has been a developers dream. I am not so sure that they've had very strict development guildlines so now you see lots of empty storefronts and such. Cordova is still a very nice area but it seems to cater more to the young first-time home owners and people in that economic bracket. Comparing Cordova to Germantown, Collierville or East Memphis is unfair because those areas are highly desireable for those with a higher income.

Does that help any? These are just things that I have noticed, not necessarily fact.

That's about right. I think most of it is white flight. People are worried about becoming the next Hickory Hill.

Once the city annexed the area, people started to flee. Also, Cordova High School became part of the Memphis City School system.

Now, everyone will complain how annexation causes a decline in property values and how previously great Shelby County Schools become bad once the City Schools took over.

What those people don't understand is if they would stay put rather than dumping their property on the market, property values wouldn't drop, and the schools would still stay good. Now unsold houses get on the market as rentals, and Section 8 will probably follow in a few years.

Cordova people need to look to East Memphis and Midtown for the advantages of staying put in terms of property values.

I saw a report last night on a Memphis Broadcast Network newscast about how there are more houses for sell in Cordova then in Midtown, East Memphis, and Germantown combined, and that is takes the longest to sell a house in Cordova compared to anywhere else in the city. Is Cordova on some sort of economic decline? Is its population aging and all wanting to move out of the city? Is it crime, bad schools, white flight...etc? Whats the deal?

I'm not familar with Cordova at all. The report though shocked me. All the homes and neighborhoods looked very nice, but they were all for sell. All the newcast gave as causes were that the housing market was glutted in Cordova (with prices set to high) and too few buyers. Is it that simple?

Just curious. So Memphis forumers, can you hook me up with some local intel on whats going on in Cordova?

I think this trend started in Cordova 3-4 years ago. I am a recent graduate of CBHS and I remember in the mid to late 90s all of my friends were moving out to Cordova while I was one of the few left in East Memphis. Now in the past year and a half since I've graduated, several of my friends (their parents actually) have sold their homes in Cordova and moved somewhere else. From what I've heard, Cordova High School has also recently gotten a pretty bad rep for gangs, and i'm not joking. The Bogies with putt-putt, go-carts, and arcades was a place I went to alot in Cordova and it has been shut down. Trinity Commons, which was pretty much the suburban teenage mecca around 2000, has been essentially deserted since the new theater out towards wolfchase was built. I think this effect might have really been enhanced when the paradiso was built--maybe bringing back suburbanites (Cordova people) to the east Memphis area.

One of my friend's houses is STILL for sale in Cordova, even though they moved out in June. His house was 3 stories with a pool and well over 3000sq, and the price has been marked down 3 times so far--this last time to under 200k. I remember driving through Cordova this summer and being pretty much amazed at how many homes were for sale. A bunch of my friends grew up there, and now it looks like it might be following the in footsteps of Hickory Hill, though maybe not as extreme. Even though there are still some pretty nice neighborhoods out there, I think Cordova doesn't really have the feel of an affluent suburb that I thought it once had.

I think people are moving because the area was so poorly planned. The traffic out there is ridiculous. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the layout of the area, but it makes no sense at all. The entire area is like a maze. The confusion starts with the shopping center across from Wolfchase. Getting in and out of stores (especially Best Buy) is almost impossible. The Rock Creek is intersection just off I-40 is so congested that its not even funny. Whoever let the developers do this needs to go back to school and take a city planning course or two.

What those people don't understand is if they would stay put rather than dumping their property on the market, property values wouldn't drop, and the schools would still stay good. Now unsold houses get on the market as rentals, and Section 8 will probably follow in a few years.

Thats all it takes is for people to stay put. It kind of reminds me of Frayser. In my neighborhood, there are people who have been there for 40 years and the value of the homes hasn't taken a drastic dip. On the other side of Watkins, there are areas that look like the ghetto because people picked up and left years ago when the area was annexed. BTW Sleepy, I have a few friends in Cordova that stay in the same subdivision where Section 8 has already taken place. Its ashame how people in Memphis create disposable neighborhoods every few years (i.e. Hickory Hill and Cordova?)

I have braved the traffic a couple of years ago at Wolfchase and over by that Best Buy, some of the worst traffic flow I had ever seen.

Thanks for all the info on Cordova everyone. I figured it had something to do with most of the things named. I just thought it was amazing such an apparently nice and fairly upscale area was having such a glut of houses stuck on the market.

Isn't it interesting that fear based white flight is the actual cause of the scenario of declining schools, property values, etc. that the whole process is based on. Like sleepy said, if folks would stay put those negative developments would not occur.

I have braved the traffic a couple of years ago at Wolfchase and over by that Best Buy, some of the worst traffic flow I had ever seen.

Thanks for all the info on Cordova everyone. I figured it had something to do with most of the things named. I just thought it was amazing such an apparently nice and fairly upscale area was having such a glut of houses stuck on the market.

Isn't it interesting that fear based white flight is the actual cause of the scenario of declining schools, property values, etc. that the whole process is based on. Like sleepy said, if folks would stay put those negative developments would not occur.

I think the area still has a lot of life left in it. If all of the ridiculous development is ceased, the area will continue to thrive. It really is a nice part of town, except for the traffic.

If I were a developer, I would bribe the Mayor and City Council to annex my new developments just as soon as they fill out. Then, I start another development a few miles out and repeat the pattern over and over again. But since these are all ethical people involved, I'm sure nothing like that has ever happened.

I lived in Cordova from 87-2004 until I left in college

went to cordova High from 2000-2004 and even then there was an obvious decline in the qaulity of the students. and went Cordova when to Memphis city. over a third of the teachers LEFT to go to other schools like Arlington High, Houston, etc.... and many of those teachers were masters degree teachers, high qaulity teachers that the city wanted.

I even remember in the deal, Memphis City Schools tried to force Shelby county schools to try to force the teachers to stay there, so that the teachers would be stuck in the annexation(is that a word). The Teachers of Cordova Threatened Lawsuit and Memphis city backed down on that demand.

I remember distincly thinking cordova was a great school my freshman year, but by my senior year, I thought it was a hell hole, and at times didnt even feel safe.

As for property values, when our neighborhood got annexed, which is within close proximity to the wolfchase mall. our propery value dropped nearly 15 percent. Thats my expeirence with it.

I am interested in this hood. Any pics?????

I don't have any pictures, but its the area south of the Wolfchase Mall with Germantown Pkwy. running through it. Its no Midtown or Germantown, just a typical suburban area. Although the area has some VERY expensive homes, there are many cookie cutter developments that are basically starter homes.

Im heading back for thanksgiving break, im bound to take some. if you want to wait till then i'll post some.

If you want some of my neighborhood etc, i can post those.

I can wait AND if you would like to post those of your hood, than please do so. I love looking at hoods in and around Memphis.

I can wait AND if you would like to post those of your hood, than please do so. I love looking at hoods in and around Memphis.

alright, i'll probably post the photos that i have on my computer at this moment sometime after next tuesday(land surveying exam on tuesday) so i'll be busy until then.

as for thanksgiving break photos. i'll post them.. after TG.

I think this trend started in Cordova 3-4 years ago. I am a recent graduate of CBHS and I remember in the mid to late 90s all of my friends were moving out to Cordova while I was one of the few left in East Memphis. Now in the past year and a half since I've graduated, several of my friends (their parents actually) have sold their homes in Cordova and moved somewhere else. From what I've heard, Cordova High School has also recently gotten a pretty bad rep for gangs, and i'm not joking. The Bogies with putt-putt, go-carts, and arcades was a place I went to alot in Cordova and it has been shut down. Trinity Commons, which was pretty much the suburban teenage mecca around 2000, has been essentially deserted since the new theater out towards wolfchase was built. I think this effect might have really been enhanced when the paradiso was built--maybe bringing back suburbanites (Cordova people) to the east Memphis area.

One of my friend's houses is STILL for sale in Cordova, even though they moved out in June. His house was 3 stories with a pool and well over 3000sq, and the price has been marked down 3 times so far--this last time to under 200k. I remember driving through Cordova this summer and being pretty much amazed at how many homes were for sale. A bunch of my friends grew up there, and now it looks like it might be following the in footsteps of Hickory Hill, though maybe not as extreme. Even though there are still some pretty nice neighborhoods out there, I think Cordova doesn't really have the feel of an affluent suburb that I thought it once had.

Bogies has turned into First Tenenssee Fields. Which isn't necessarily a worse development. In fact, in many respects, it's a better development which can then be construed as a positive reflection or indicator of the future of the area, assuming development could be managed wisely.

Bogies has turned into First Tenenssee Fields. Which isn't necessarily a worse development. In fact, in many respects, it's a better development which can then be construed as a positive reflection or indicator of the future of the area, assuming development could be managed wisely.

The first TN fields are signifigantly better

Anyway im going to post as many cordova photos as i can after TG break, but here's a sattellite image to introduce you to the area

Cordova.jpg

The forest thats listed on the image has been recently cut down and filled with about a million zillion houses.

the Large road running down the center is Germantown Parkway, I-40 Runs north east in the upper portion of the image and several large neighborhoods are listed(sorry for mis spelin's hehe) Cordova the Town is not in this image, but will be included in the next. set of them

Cordova the Town is a New urbanist neighborhood that hasnt done as well as say, the ones downtown primarly because its set in a suburban setting.

Bellvue Baptist Church, is.. a huge church which has been dubbed my my friends, me, and just about the rest of cordova as , 6 flags under God. primarly because its huge. it has 3 crosses that are adjascent to the interstate. one looks to be about 20 stories and the other 2 look to be about 15. At night time the church lights them up with rather bright lights. yes theyre pretty but to me, i think the money for putting them up and electricty bills for the lights would be better spent.... oh... helping people. I'll be sure to take photos of that too.

Then theres Cordova High school, I graduated from there in 2004.

Wolfchase galleria is the mall to the north.

Most of this image is now within Memphis City limits. most of this area, including the school was annexed roughly two years ago. there were actual protests around the mall and city hall about it. though nothing that signifigant. People were probably mad that their taxes went up and all they got was a Memphis regulation Trash can :rolleyes:

if you follow the intersection of Gtown Pkwy, and I-40. go south a bit. theres an old farm(on the west side of Gtown Pkwy). This was one of the proposed sites for Redbird Stadium or Autozone Park. It is currently a kohls which was constructed as of last year (the image is roughly 3-4 years old)

thats all i can think of, other than telling stories of living there for 18 years. :)

Thanks for that pic.

I hate to see all those cul de sacs and the disconnect between subdivisions. I moved to East Memphis (Rich Road) in 1960 from the Buntyn area, and at the time, that part of East Memphis was new suburban development. At the same, everything was still on the city grid. Where I lived was new, but it was more like a newer part of the city than something separate like the pic of Cordova.

You could hop on Walnut Grove-Union/Madison to go downtown and it was the same city from White Station all the way to the river. The buildings and houses just got older. There was a feeling of real continuity.

Archived