Prediction

HolidayInnExpress

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of that will depend on how their Asian units do. If they keep growing like they are, maybe. I really hope they don't put something that tall at Market and Fulton though. I think the skyline would look better with it more centrally located, and leave Market/Fulton for a 15 - 20 story mixed use puppy :thumbsup:

I'd love to see that happen. People have been speculating this would happen for a while now, I wonder what they're waiting for :huh:

It only makes sense. With the new swank Marriot Hotel and a revitalized downtown with residential growth and the growing trend towards centralization and density due to fuel prices that will continue to rise; it would be a great move for them. Moreover, the corporation will want to compete to attract talented people to their company and being located in a vibrant and booming city core is good for recruitment.

It might happen in less than 10 years, depending on the overall national and global economy. What made me think of it was how they (Alicitor/Marriot) mocked up the background with a currently non existent Sky Scraper.

Unlike you Grand Rapidians....I am not motivated by unbridled over exuberance and basing my opinion on a Wish......this is a national trend it and it WILL happen.

I tell ya I'm obsessed with that parking lot now :blink: Every time I am anywhere near Lyon and Ottawa, I envision that sucker standing there, tilting your head WAAYYYY back to see the top, and how it would completely change the dynamic of every street around it: Pearl, Ottawa, Ionia, Lyon, Monroe Center. Huhhhhhhmm....

and HolidayInnExpress, a little over-exuberance is not bad. I would rather die having people say "He was always so over-exuberant", than the opposite. I'm surprised you're not from here. Mind filling us in?

I tell ya I'm obsessed with that parking lot now :blink: Every time I am anywhere near Lyon and Ottawa, I envision that sucker standing there, tilting your head WAAYYYY back to see the top, and how it would completely change the dynamic of every street around it: Pearl, Ottawa, Ionia, Lyon, Monroe Center. Huhhhhhhmm....

and HolidayInnExpress, a little over-exuberance is not bad. I would rather die having people say "He was always so over-exuberant", than the opposite. I'm surprised you're not from here. Mind filling us in?

I am under a Federal witness protection program and cannot reveal my location....if I did...I would have to kill yah :rofl:

I would love to see a taller version of the Lyon & Ottawa Tower going up. I thought it was a sure thing when they had the signs posted years ago. Please, someone, tell me this is going to happen! Ha Ha It would have a commanding point in the skyline coming into GR from the west. The symmetry would be awesome.

there are definately the means for it to happen, but what makes anyone think that there is a need or a practical application for Alticor to move from it's suburban fortress?

how's that for over exuberance.

Out growing their current offices, and wanting to capitalize on the new trend of centralizing

The tallest building in Michigan in Grand Rapids? I don't know if that will ever happen :P

I dont even know if 500 woud be allowed by the current ordinance. I think the limit is fairly low, and to go taller you gotta do things to qualify for height bonuses.

EDIT

Downtown is divided into 4 "zones" for building height. Along the river and Monroe you can go as tall as you want. Further back, like along Ionia and Division, the limit is like 85 ft, but the developer can qualify for up to 160 feet or more of height bonuses for including things like ground-floor retail and housing components. As you get closer to residential areas the high limit decreases

I dont even know if 500 woud be allowed by the current ordinance. I think the limit is fairly low, and to go taller you gotta do things to qualify for height bonuses.

EDIT

Downtown is divided into 4 "zones" for building height. Along the river and Monroe you can go as tall as you want. Further back, like along Ionia and Division, the limit is like 85 ft, but the developer can qualify for up to 160 feet or more of height bonuses for including things like ground-floor retail and housing components. As you get closer to residential areas the high limit decreases

L&O was supposed to be 450 feet or so, so It can get done if you get the right tenants, and the right developer who can influence these things.

I heard that 7/11 did this in Dallas years ago. They build a 52 story tower and used, like, 4 floors. It sat that way for a long time. I've heard it did eventually fill up though.

Man, that's what all those garbage dogs, nachos and Big Gulps in college paid for :P

Archived