Prediction

HolidayInnExpress

I heard that 7/11 did this in Dallas years ago. They build a 52 story tower and used, like, 4 floors. It sat that way for a long time. I've heard it did eventually fill up though.

They use more than 4 floors of their tower. As a matter of fact, they are in the process of building a new tower, and are going to move from midtown.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They use more than 4 floors of their tower. As a matter of fact, they are in the process of building a new tower, and are going to move from midtown.

My comment was just hearsay; I googled for a bit to find an article, but gave up pretty quickly when I didnt find anything. I did see some stuff about a new tower though.

I've been watching these threads for awhile, and usually, there is at least some possibility in the speculations.

But Alticor will never, and I say this with complete confidence, relocate to downtown Grand Rapids. Just a few reasons why:

It owns massive tracks of undeveloped land in the suburbs. There is no sense in seperating its business operations from its manufacturing operations, which will remain, for the most part, in Ada. It doesn't have any moral interest in downtown Grand Rapids--it's principals live in Ada and Ottawa County. It laid off a large chunk of its workforce only three years ago, it's not like it's bursting out of its current facilities.

Case in point, rumor has it that Alticor once investigated the City Centre parking ramp as a possible corporate hq, and quickly abandoned it. Also, it nearly built another office building on what is now an Ellis surface lot about five years ago, with the hope of attracting clients (rumored to be Varnum Riddering) away from Bridgewater place. If it were going to move, it would have then.

On a side, note, Meijers or Steel Case could do the same thing...relocate downtown that is....but could not pull off a 500 ft.

Why not. Well maybe Steelcase (they are much smaller than the other two). Meijer is a much larger company than Alticor is - when total sales are figured in. Meijer is one of the largest non public companies in the US - something like 12 billion in sales - nothing to sneeze at.

The fact, is, none of these companies need this much space. The only companies that really need a lot of room are service intensive companies such as banks, insurance, etc... Other companies just cannot justify the space. Meijer for instance houses most of its office staff in two four storey buildings. If they were to be built downtown on a smaller lot, you might, just might end up at 16 storeys. Not at all that impressive.

The fact, is, none of these companies need this much space. The only companies that really need a lot of room are service intensive companies such as banks, insurance, etc... Other companies just cannot justify the space. Meijer for instance houses most of its office staff in two four storey buildings. If they were to be built downtown on a smaller lot, you might, just might end up at 16 storeys. Not at all that impressive.

But Meijer wouldn't have occupy the whole thing building, would they? The could pony up the cash, find some tenants, build a 40 story tower, keep 15 floors for themselves, and lease out the rest for a tidy profit. I'm sure there a bunch of reasons they don't build downtown, but I dont know if not needing the extra space is one of them. ;)

Besides, I think a 16-story building would be pretty sweet! :D

Archived