WEekend trip to ATL

Go Gators

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone!

My girlfriend and I are heading up to ATL for the long weekend, any suggestion on things to do? Last time we did Olympic Park, CNN Center, World of Coke, Piedmont Park...All we have going on for sure is Stone Mountain...any other ideas?

Depends on what you like. Buckhead has excellent shopping, clubs, bars, and restaurants. Midtown has a lot of the same. Atlantic Station in midtown might be a cool place to check out. Stone Mountain is a blast. It provides an excellent view of the Atlanta skyline. Haha if you like rollercoasters checkout Six Flags on the westside. There are always good concerts going on. I am not sure whats in town this weekend. There is plenty to do though! What area are you guys staying in?

What I would suggest you look into is:

• Stone Mountain

• The Cyclorama

• Atlantic Station

• For some great views of Atlanta, you can go up to the SunDial in the Westin Peachtree for $5 (if you aren't eating there)

• High Museum for those interested in art

• Martin Luther King Memorial

There's a few more that I'll think of later. Any help? :)

We are staying at the Renaissance downtown...were still college students, so we have to keep it domewhat reasonable, and IM a big Marriott fan. But Ive stayed there before and it was nice. We stayed in Buckhead last time, I love that area. If I do law in Emory, Id love to live in Buckhead.

yes, IC that helped, see you in the Tallahassee forum.

Do you do clubs? If so Visions, 112, MAgic City, andPink Ponyare the places for you. And don't forget to stop by Underground Atlanta, Lenox Mall, and remember to use public transportation.

I might be older but I don't think his GIRLFRIEND will take too kindly to the suggestion of Magic City or Pink Pony as an entertainment venue on a long weekend. :rolleyes: I mean now really.

I might be older but I don't think his GIRLFRIEND will take too kindly to the suggestion of Magic City or Pink Pony as an entertainment venue on a long weekend. :rolleyes: I mean now really.

Ha! Now that depends on his girlfriend...remember, this is 2005 grandma :P teasing

Also, I personally think you would probably enjoy the clubs in Buckhead more so than midtown. Buckhead seems a little more diverse to me than midtown, club wise.

If you don't like hip hop, you won't like 112. Also, 112 is a little overrated and they tend to play mostly Northern East Coast music, which I do like, but one would think you would hear a lot of crunk music being that the club is in Atlanta. As for Visions, the dress code for men is too strict IMO. Check out their website, www.visionatlanta.com for more info.

If you don't like clubs - like me - then you might just want to drink at some bars. The bar scene isn't what it used to be - but Little Five Points & East Atlanta have the best collection of folks, in addition to Virginia Highlands (mini-Buckhead crowd) & even Downtown & Cabbagetown (we have a street with 3 places to drink).

But of course it depends on your 'scene', I'm not sure what mine is so I just crash other people's :)

Depending on what you like to do, here are some suggestions that could be done without a car.

In the southwest corner of downtown is a neighborhood called Castleberry Hill which has an up-and-coming gallery district (if you like checking out galleries).

http://www.castleberryhillartsdistrict.com/

If you walk back to Five Points, you can take an eastbound MARTA train to King Memorial. If you get off there and walk south (Grant St, I believe) you'll find Oakland Cemetery which is a pretty cool place. A lot of notable Atlantan's were buried there (Margaret Mitchell, Bobby Jones, Maynard Jackson). http://oaklandcemetery.com/

You might want to check out Ria's Bluebird (good brunch) or Six Feet Under (good seafood) across the street if you get hungry.

From there, you could go to the Zoo or Cyclorama (south on Cherokee Ave, the street next to Ria's) but it's a bit a walk (20-25 minutes). May want to take a bus down Cherokee.

Alternately, you could get back on MARTA eastbound and get off at Inman Park/Reynoldtown. From there you can check out Little Five Points. Walk north from the station and take a right on Euclid Ave. It will take you into the heart of Little Five Points. http://www.l5p.com/

Once you're in the middle of L5P, you could walk north on Moreland Ave until you come to the entrance of the PATH walking/biking trail (corner of Moreland and Freedom Parkway). Take a left on the PATH and it will take you to the Carter Presidential Libary.

From there you could walk into the Virginian Highlands (walk north on Highland). Lots' s restaurants/shops/bars).

That may be enough for a day. I've taken friends on this tour before...just a suggestion.

Also, I believe the new expansion of the High Museum is open the public this weekend (high.org). I would definitely check that out.

No I didnt go to the supposedly infamous "magic city" or wherever lol, thank you lady celeste!

We actually changed plans a little bit last minute. We ended up staying in Buckhead again at the Crowne Plaza. Its a nice place, weve stayed there a few times.

We really like Buckhead, and will probably move there in the next few years (after law school and what-not).

BUt, we did Stone Mountain. I hadnt been there since I was 3. It was fun, we hiked up it (her idea, i would have preferred the skyride lol). But I got some pics of downtown from that view and will try to post them here when/if i figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I will be a resident of your great town soon!

No I didnt go to the supposedly infamous "magic city" or wherever lol, thank you lady celeste!

We actually changed plans a little bit last minute. We ended up staying in Buckhead again at the Crowne Plaza. Its a nice place, weve stayed there a few times.

We really like Buckhead, and will probably move there in the next few years (after law school and what-not).

BUt, we did Stone Mountain. I hadnt been there since I was 3. It was fun, we hiked up it (her idea, i would have preferred the skyride lol). But I got some pics of downtown from that view and will try to post them here when/if i figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I will be a resident of your great town soon!

Glad you enjoyed your trip! We look forward to having you come back to our fair city sometime.

I would love to see those pics from Stone Mountain!

As for posting images, here is a fairly simple explanation I gave another forumer:

Like Viper said, if they are already on the Internet, all you have to do is insert tags around them. (It

Like so,

You take, for example, the one you posted:

http://atlanta.at-great-rates.com/resources/us_ga_atlantaD.jpg
And add the [img} tags around it by clicking that little picture of a tree near the hyperlink button.
[img=http://atlanta.at-great-rates.com/resources/us_ga_atlantaD.jpg]

To get this:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://atlanta.at-great-rates.com/resources/us_ga_atlantaD.jpg' alt='us_ga_atlantaD.jpg'>

For a more in depth explanation, if necessary, please visit this topic.

Archived