University Village Center...South Fayetteville

RemusCal

Developers with Ark 4 submitted plans last week for a hotel and two retail centers off 15 th Street and Beechwood Avenue in Fayetteville.

If approved, University Village Center will front the Randal Tyson Track Center and create a boundary between the Crowne at Razorback apartments and 15 th Street.

John Ellis, who was involved with the Crowne at Razorback in addition to the Ark 4 project, was unavailable for comment Wednesday.

Construction of a hotel in that area of Fayetteville has been rumored since the creation of the University Conference and Entertainment Center, which contracted with the University of Arkansas to produce events at the track center from March through November.

The group currently is working on its 2006 schedule. "I would think hotels going up in that area would be very good," event coordinator Pam Luker said in regards to the entertainment group

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do agree, it is nice to see things going on over on the south side of town. Although personally I also feel College Ave could also use some reviving itself. I'm seeing some places close or move a while back ago and there seems to be no rush to fill empty spots along College. That and you still have some places that are simply converted gas stations and such.

I do agree, it is nice to see things going on over on the south side of town. Although personally I also feel College Ave could also use some reviving itself. I'm seeing some places close or move a while back ago and there seems to be no rush to fill empty spots along College. That and you still have some places that are simply converted gas stations and such.

I'm with you, College needs a complete revamp. It went downhill at the expense of Dickson and that's fine as I think the Dickson area was the most important area in NWA in needing redevelopment but at this point College has been neglected too long and needs some gentrification.

I'm with you, College needs a complete revamp. It went downhill at the expense of Dickson and that's fine as I think the Dickson area was the most important area in NWA in needing redevelopment but at this point College has been neglected too long and needs some gentrification.

I certainly agree, sorry to keep getting off the subject here. It is great to hear that things are happening on the south side of the city. It can certainly use it. But RemusCal's statement simply made me thing about College Ave too. It just seems odd that with it being the main thoroughfare in the center of the city, that it seems to have gone downhill and fallen somewhat into neglect. College covers a lot of ground through the city, although I wouldn't say all sections need to be revitalized. But I think it would be great if it started off near the downtown area and also near Dickson and then work your way north from there.

I certainly agree, sorry to keep getting off the subject here. It is great to hear that things are happening on the south side of the city. It can certainly use it. But RemusCal's statement simply made me thing about College Ave too. It just seems odd that with it being the main thoroughfare in the center of the city, that it seems to have gone downhill and fallen somewhat into neglect. College covers a lot of ground through the city, although I wouldn't say all sections need to be revitalized. But I think it would be great if it started off near the downtown area and also near Dickson and then work your way north from there.

It's really just certain sections that need it. I didn't mean to imply the whole area needed it. I was thinking mainly of the area that used to be the main bar drag with the Dome and Doc's. There are a few areas that remain 50s-ish in sections but they may have newer buildings mixed in, such as the area around the AQ on College.

• 1 month later...

This is from this morning's NWA times concerning University Village in South Fayetteville:

Commission Chair Alan Ostner cast the lone no vote for a hotel and retail site southeast of Beechwood and Fifteenth Street, north of the Crowne Apartments. He described the facade on the retail building as weak and unarticulated.

The four-story Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites will be across the street from the University of Arkansas baseball park and near the Randal Tyson Track Center.

John Ellis of Ellis Business Consultants said they would like to have a groundbreaking in March for the 109-room hotel.

Thanks for the update RemusCal. What do you mean by downtown feel Matt? I would have to say no at the moment. I don't think that area is particularly built up. There's a big Pinnacle Foods factory in that area. Not sure if you'd call that a downtown feel. :D I'm wondering with the way this area seems to be going if that factory is really going to become an eyesore. Like I said I might try to go down and take a few pics this weekend around that area.

Thanks for the update RemusCal. What do you mean by downtown feel Matt? I would have to say no at the moment. I don't think that area is particularly built up. There's a big Pinnacle Foods factory in that area. Not sure if you'd call that a downtown feel. :D I'm wondering with the way this area seems to be going if that factory is really going to become an eyesore. Like I said I might try to go down and take a few pics this weekend around that area.

I ment the cluster of buildings in close proximity, with the street front retail, and pedestrian Friendly areas. You know, like a downtown area.

Thanks for the updates Remuscal.

I'm glad this project is moving forward. Is this near the downtown area?

Matt if you look on Google Earth you can see this area pretty easily. I think you shouldn't have too hard a time finding the university and the stadium. If you keep following Razorback Rd south which is just west of the Razorback Stadium you'll end up in southern Fayetteville. You'll eventually come across a baseball diamiond, that's Baum Stadium. Just south of that is the development area, along that curve of W 15th and Beechwood.

Matt if you look on Google Earth you can see this area pretty easily. I think you shouldn't have too hard a time finding the university and the stadium. If you keep following Razorback Rd south which is just west of the Razorback Stadium you'll end up in southern Fayetteville. You'll eventually come across a baseball diamiond, that's Baum Stadium. Just south of that is the development area, along that curve of W 15th and Beechwood.

I signed up for Google Earth, but it makes my computer lock up sometimes. I'll give it another whirl though, thanks for the directions.

Well when I got off work I went down to take a few pics. Not a whole lot to see right now really. Just the Crowne Apartments, which I admit look nice. certainly better than the usual Lindsey apartments around here. Other than just just an empty lot in front of it. I was a bit surprised I didn't really see more land down there. To me it looked like the Crowne Apartments take up most of the open land. I didn't walk all the way through the apartments, but it looked like to trees on the other side so maybe there's more undeveloped land than it looks like. Since I walked over there I went ahead and took a few pics. Including some of the Crowne, I was walking away emptyhanded after going down there.

img55522wu.jpg

img55535ky.jpg

img55441ol.jpg

img55458ki.jpg

img55514sv.jpg

So this is where this development is going. I imagined it more downtown like, but I can still see it working out well here.

The more downtown like development is going to be more to the northwest part of the city. But I do think this area of the city has potential. I don't think they've really done anything there except for the apartments.

• 2 years later...

This place is finally beginning to look like it's nearing completion.

The hotel looks nice and should stay very busy all year due to its location.

The village itself is different, but should look nice when finished.

Anybody know what will be going into the village?

Archived