The Triangle and the Arts

DanRNC

• 1 month later...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has probably heard that the NC Museum of Art has procured 22 Rodin statues for its permanent collection making it one of the largest repositories of Rodin sculptures in the world. In addition the museum will be building a new museum to replace the hideous current building. Also, the museum will host another blockbuster exhibit next year. These developments push Raleigh and Triangle to the forefront of arts in culture in the southeast in my opinion. Down the road the Nasher Museum at Duke has been completed and the expansion of the Ackland Museum in Chapel Hill will begin soon as well as the construction of an Arts Commons on the campus. Construction of Raleigh CAM will also begin soon as well as construction of Green Square (expansion of the NC Museum of Natural Sciences). Durham will also be constructing a 2300 seat theater and adjoining black box theater to house the ADF in the American Tobacco District.

I should have also included the $11 million renovation of the Carolina Theater in Durham and future additions to the Progress Center for the Performing Arts (former BTI Center) in downtown Raleigh.

The $11 million is actually being spread around to The Carolina Theatre, the Armory, the Hayti Heritage Center, the Arts Council, the Civic Center and the old Durham Athletic Park (to create what the website says "would rehabilitate the stadium as a multi-use facility for athletics and entertainment downtown.")

All we really need at the Carolina (I work there) is some new carpet and wall plaster. Maybe a bonus for me. :P

The $11 million is actually being spread around to The Carolina Theatre, the Armory, the Hayti Heritage Center, the Arts Council, the Civic Center and the old Durham Athletic Park (to create what the website says "would rehabilitate the stadium as a multi-use facility for athletics and entertainment downtown.")

All we really need at the Carolina (I work there) is some new carpet and wall plaster. Maybe a bonus for me. :P

Yeah, the Triangle is indeed the arts/cultural leader in the state. Winston-Salem and the Triad were the arts/cultural leader in the state 50+ years ago, but Raleigh/Triangle have had that title for some time now. I will say the whole state is progressing with all of that......even in the smaller cities.

JDC, when you lived in Boston, did you go to Symphony Hall much?? I understand that to be the best concert hall in the U.S., and one of the top 3 in the world. Meymandi Concert Hall (NC Symphony's home) in downtown Raleigh was supposedly based off of Symphony Hall in Boston.......it is just smaller and more modern.

• 7 months later...

In today's News and Observer there was a nice article about the different developments in the arts around the triangle.

I couldn't find the article online so if anyone would like to post it if they find it, feel free to.

They provided a list of different projects, their ideas, and their current status. The projects were:

1. UNC Arts Common

-- UNC's general redevelopment of its "arts district" that include Memorial Hall, Ackland Art Museum, and PlayMakers Theatre.

2. Burning Coal Theatre

--Raleigh's intimate and abstract theatre and how it is looking for a new space in the old Murphy School Auditorium in historic Oakwood.

3. Durham Performing Arts Center

--the 44 million dollar venue that will seat 2,800 people planned in downtown Durham. The article talks about its design concepts and promoter of the venue.

4. Sanford Inst. of Performing Arts

--performing arts center to honor Terry Sanford. It talks about the ambitious project and its background.

5. Rodin Gallery at the NC Museum of Art

--The recent plans for expansion of the museum along with the donation of premier Rodin pieces that will make the museum the top Rodin exhibit in the South. The ambitious project, though outside of downtown, has been a major factor in the scheme of Raleigh projects, but has gone under the radar as of late.

What are your ideas on these projects that will help make the Triangle one of the premier arts destinations in NC and the Southeast? If anyone has renderings of these projects feel free to post them.

• 1 month later...

I thought you all might want to take a look at this if you haven't already. Temporary, but engaging art out of buildings ready to be rehabilitated. Georges Rousse is a world-renowned installation artist and photographer who is doing a month-long residency in the Bull City. Fantastic.

http://www.rousseprojectdurham.com/theProject.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/716/story/477743.html

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This City may not be a leader in public art, but we need to support what IS being done. The Raleigh Arts Commission will be putting art on the sides of 10 city buses this fall. We are currently looking for artists! Please pass the below information to every artist you know:

Call for Submissions For Art-On-The-Move Project

The City of Raleigh Arts Commission, in partnership with Capital Area Transit, announces Art-On-The-Move, an exciting new project placing original art on the sides of Raleigh buses!

All visual and graphic artists 18 years or older living, working, or attending school in Raleigh are invited to submit original designs for the program (all submissions must be received by the Arts Commission Office, City Municipal Building, 222 West Hargett Street, Room 504, by June 14, 2007).

Selected artists will each receive a $500 honorarium and the opportunity to have their artwork emblazoned on the side of CAT buses traveling around the city for a period or six months beginning in October. Twelve artists will initially be selected for implementation of their designs.

Art-On-The-Move application guidelines can be downloaded from the City website. For additional information, please contact [email protected].

Art-On-The-Move is a 30th Anniversary public art project of the City of Raleigh Arts Commission (CORAC). Established in 1977, CORAC proudly holds the distinction of being the first municipal arts commission created in North Carolina. Serving as the official advisory body and advocate for the arts to the Raleigh City Council, the Commission

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, there is a gallery opening this evening at 7:30 at Kohn Associates on Glenwood Avenue. The exhibit features artwork and interior design from Lee Tripi and Associates and is free.

The exhibit will also be open for October's First Friday event. After that it comes down, so it's a short one.

Kohn Associates is in the old Renaissance bath place in the same building that also used to house Cherry Modern.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Good reason for the City to promote an arts image, maybe alongside technology. Also a good reason to want to attract even more arts related stuff, maybe fund CAM, provide an opportunity for a Kings type venue, coordinate or provide an arts office as part of a city visitor center....

Archived