Bodine (Toyota) Engine Plant goes online in Jackson!

Rural King

The Bodine Aluminum Engine Plant in Jackson, TN went on-line Wednesday producing the runs of engines destined for Camrys or Avalons. Bodine is a subsidary of Toyota and currently employs 53 employees, but once the entire facility in completed in 2007 on its 200 acre site located at the Jackson Airport Industrial Park it will employ around 220. The plant is a 164 million dollar investment in Jackson and will eventually produce V-6 and V-8 engines, and when at full production will produce around 1 million engine blocks a year.

Here the Jackson Sun article on the topic:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../511100314/1002

Really great news for Jackson and West Tennessee. Hopefully, this will be just the start of good industrial developments for the region.

Here is another article from today's Jackson Sun that talks about the optimism the new plant brings to its new workforce for their futures and that of Jackson:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../511100315/1002

Just fantastic to read such positive economic news in my region!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this auto news gives Tennessee a new meaning in "car-centric" society. Great development for Jackson. Now, let's bring another major auto plant online. Keep 'em coming.

I look for KIA to make some type of announcement in the future for a plant. Word has it that W. Tenn. is in the running for it.

^Ooooo. Thats sounds nice...... :D .......{thoughts of jobs and prosperity all over West TN run through Rural King's head as he drifts off into daydreaming}... .. .... ....... ...... ..... huh what .....oh yeah ....I was writing a post.

I hope that becomes reality. I know the Crockett Co. site had two Asian Auto Manufacturers give imput on it, one of which I think was Kia, and an undisclosed domestic. Might be Cates Landing too....or some place we don't know about yet. Or nowhere...no no thats no fun...lets leave that option out. :shades:

^Ooooo. Thats sounds nice...... :D .......{thoughts of jobs and prosperity all over West TN run through Rural King's head as he drifts off into daydreaming}... .. .... ....... ...... ..... huh what .....oh yeah ....I was writing a post.

I hope that becomes reality. I know the Crockett Co. site had two Asian Auto Manufacturers give imput on it, one of which I think was Kia, and an undisclosed domestic. Might be Cates Landing too....or some place we don't know about yet. Or nowhere...no no thats no fun...lets leave that option out. :shades:

A lot has been said about an auto plant in West Tennessee in some of the smaller counties. Is there a specific reason why it couldn't happen closer to the city? The infrastructure would already be there and with I-69 and I-22 being built, it would have more interstate access being close to Shelby or in Tipton, Fayette, or Haywood don't you think?

A lot has been said about an auto plant in West Tennessee in some of the smaller counties. Is there a specific reason why it couldn't happen closer to the city? The infrastructure would already be there and with I-69 and I-22 being built, it would have more interstate access being close to Shelby or in Tipton, Fayette, or Haywood don't you think?

Well to be quite honest the rural counties need it alot more economically, we can't depend on farming, UT-Martin, Goodyear (Union City), our limited local industrial bases, or commuting to Jackson forever. We have built alot of infrastructure to draw new plants to rural West TN; and the I-69 routing through West Tennessee was a hard fought battle to insure brighter economic prospects for the region outside of Memphis and Jackson, as it could have went a route that took it through Middle Tennessee then through SWTN as certian folks wanted.

These areas also have advantages when it comes to air quality issues, available land, incentives, etc. An autoplant coming to a centralized location in West TN (including Jackson) would help thousands of folks have a better lives and spur on the region economically alot better than in Memphis, the city already has alot of opportunity, why shouldn't the smaller towns/cities and the rural areas have some as well. Thats just my take and opinion though.

Haywood and Fayette could have a TVA approved mega-site if it wasn't held up due to local opposition, and Marion, AR is basically a Memphis autosite. So its not like Memphis is not getting auto related operations or in the game. :D

I'm for all of West Tennessee including Memphis, Jackson, Union City, Paris, and anywhere and everywhere else getting as much industry and economic stimulus as possible. The same holds true for Middle and East Tennessee. Tennessee doing well benefits all of us as citizens, so I want to see as many industries and economic opportunities come to Tennessee as possible.

Well to be quite honest the rural counties need it alot more economically, we can't depend on farming, UT-Martin, Goodyear (Union City), our limited local industrial bases, or commuting to Jackson forever. We have built alot of infrastructure to draw new plants to rural West TN; and the I-69 routing through West Tennessee was a hard fought battle to insure brighter economic prospects for the region outside of Memphis and Jackson, as it could have went a route that took it through Middle Tennessee then through SWTN as certian folks wanted.

These areas also have advantages when it comes to air quality issues, available land, incentives, etc. An autoplant coming to a centralized location in West TN (including Jackson) would help thousands of folks have a better lives and spur on the region economically alot better than in Memphis, the city already has alot of opportunity, why shouldn't the smaller towns/cities and the rural areas have some as well. Thats just my take and opinion though.

Haywood and Fayette could have a TVA approved mega-site if it wasn't held up due to local opposition, and Marion, AR is basically a Memphis autosite. So its not like Memphis is not getting auto related operations or in the game. :D

I'm for all of West Tennessee including Memphis, Jackson, Union City, Paris, and anywhere and everywhere else getting as much industry and economic stimulus as possible. The same holds true for Middle and East Tennessee. Tennessee doing well benefits all of us as citizens, so I want to see as many industries and economic opportunities come to Tennessee as possible.

I'm not saying that the other areas don't deserve economic opportunity, it just seems like it would be more expensive to build from nothing instead of building on an existing infrastructure.

Well the reason those areas are in the running is because we do have infrastrucuture. Gov. McWherter in the 80s-90s and our delegations to the legislature over the years have made sure rural West Tennessee has over the last couple of decades slowly but surely developed the needed economic infrastructure so that now we we have the assets to be attractive to industry, and it appears to be paying off. All thats going on currently has been building up for the last 20 years, and its only now that rural West Tennessee is starting to get the attention that other areas of the state have gotten from industry. Jackson has been a big player in this, it has been a key example to industry of what the region is capable of.

West Tennessee is actually when it comes to infrastructure fairly well developed in alot of areas currently, ex. the counties of Obion (Union City), Dyer (Dyersburg, Newbern) , Weakley (Martin), Gibson (Humboldt, Milan, Trenton), Henderson (Lexington), and of course Madison (Jackson). Hopefully in the coming years industry will come in and take advantage of that built up infrastructure, or at least be spurred on to do so by setting up operation at a mega-site like the one in Crockett Co., or at the industrial site at Cates Landing.

Tennessee is in the "Heart" of the new automotive manufacturing belt of America. I suspect there may be, or soon may be, more cars and trucks manufactured in the South than are now being made in the Midwest. We have witnessed the rise of foriegn maufacturers and the unfortunate demise of US auto manufacturers in this country. Most of the foriegn investment for new auto plants has gone into the South, and Tennessee is located smack dab in the center of it. Even GM, when they started their one major expansion of production in the last twenty or more years elected to locate in Tennessee. Due to our strategic location, I look for continued automotive investment in this state (Kia in West TN, and BMW in Chattanooga?) for some time to come. I hope this investment in spread throughout Tennessee so that as many areas of the state as possible can benefit.

• 1 year later...

Jackson's Bodine Casting Plant is preparing to hire another 25 to 30 employees to its current staff of 182, with the positions mainly falling into the tool and die and maintenance areas. The pay for these positions will range between $17.51 to start and $21.63 after two years. There is also the potential of more hires in the near future with pay ranging between $12.36 to start and $16.48 after two years.

These hires will ramp up the plant near, if not pass, its projected employment figure of around 220 employees on site.

This is great news for the city of Jackson's economy and manufacturing base as it marks the fulfillment of an industrial development several years in the making that will have a long term positive impact on the city.

Read more about in an article at the Jackson Sun website.

Archived