Hotel in the old Duba's Site?

GRM76

Now that it is pretty much a known fact that there will be a hotel built on the old Duba' site, does anyone know much more about it than that? I know a few years back they were planning to build a Hampton Inn & Suites but now I heard they will be building one on 28th instead. Word is that they will break ground later this month but I haven't heard what brand it will be.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Uno's was mentioned in an article recently, as well as the hotel (but no name given).

yes there was an old proposal of an 8 story hampton inn/suites that got shot down because GR township residents thaught it was too tall, wtf its in GR city, sorry you would have to see that from the freeway. ( yeah that made me mad) anyways there is a new smaller one, just says 150 rooms + an UNOs new hotel

also what ever happened to that 8 or 9 story hilton garden proposed by the airport and m6 a couple years ago, was that too tall too?

That made me think that there are no tall buildings in the metro area outside of DT GR, I could think of two 8 story apartment buildings off 28th and lake MI, but everything else is the same old 3 story comfort inns and office buildings everywhere, there is like a 15-20 story crowne plaza off the highway outside of springfield ILL, I always thaught there should be some taller buildings built around the 28/I96 and the 28th in wyoming areas and E.beltline to make things a little more exciting

anyways thats my rant on suburban buildings over 3 floors

I was also thinking of what happened to the planned howard johnson on Ionia from a couple years ago?

On that I can give you a definate answer. The developer couldn't put together a parking agreement with the city, and the bank wouldn't give him the loan without a parking agreement. He finally walked away from the whole deal.

It was supposed to go in the Milner Hotel, which was torn down for the pre-fab 4 story building that Rockford Construction put in its place. The one with the empty ground floor retail that they can't seem to fill.

On that I can give you a definate answer. The developer couldn't put together a parking agreement with the city, and the bank wouldn't give him the loan without a parking agreement. He finally walked away from the whole deal.

It was supposed to go in the Milner Hotel, which was torn down for the pre-fab 4 story building that Rockford Construction put in its place. The one with the empty ground floor retail that they can't seem to fill.

I don't mean to change the topic, but does anyone know why this is? The location seems to me to be a prime one. Is it the price? Or is the space just not right for potential tenent? It just seems to me that the spece should be filled; it has been just sitting there for quite a while.

Archived