Recommended I-540 Improvements

mcheiss

A consulting group hired by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department displayed the results of its Interstate 540 and estimated the cost of improvements at $350 million. A draft shown to officials and residents last week recommends widening portions of the interstate from four lanes to six and eight lanes.

It also recommends changing exits between Sixth Street in Fayetteville and Arkansas 72 in Bentonville, and many of the the city streets and state highways near those exits. Two future exits, Exit 77 to the proposed U.S. 412 Springdale bypass, and Exit 82 to Perry Road in Rogers, were not addressed in the study.

Here's a complete list of the I-540 improvements. Sorry it's so long, but we have a long list of traffic problems up here. :D

Recommended exit changes Exit 62: Sixth Street Short term: Add turn lanes on Sixth Street and Shiloh Drive. Long term: Widen and add turn lanes to Sixth Street and Shiloh Drive. Add a two-lane loop ramp to take eastbound traffic onto northbound I-540.

Exit 64: Wedington Drive Short term: Add turn lanes and signals on Arkansas 16, Shiloh Drive, Futrall Drive and the Arkansas 112 Spur. Long term: Add a two-lane loop ramp to get eastbound traffic from Wedington onto northbound Interstate 540. Widen Wedington.

Exit 65: Porter Road Short term: Add traffic signals at both ramp terminal intersections with Porter Road. Mid term: Widen Porter Road. Add turn lanes and traffic signals. Long term: Relocate Shiloh Drive to intersect with other nearby roads instead of Porter Road.

Exits 66 & 67: Garland Avenue and

Fulbright Expressway Short term: Add right-turn lanes for off ramps onto Garland Avenue. Long term: Build a system of collectordistributor roads running parallel to the interstate to eliminate traffic weaving between exits. Replace Garland Avenue bridge over Interstate 540.

Exit 69: Greathouse Springs Road Short term: None. Long term: Widen Greathouse Springs Road to four lanes under the bridge. Add a double left-turn lane from the southbound I-540 off-ramp.

Exit 72: U.S. 412 Short term: None. Long term: The proposed U.S. 412 bypass will solve most problems anticipated for the exit.

Exit 73: Elm Springs Road Short term: None. Long term: Add traffic signals and turn lanes. Widen Elm Springs Road on either side of the bridge.

Exit 76: Wagon Wheel Road Short term: None. Long term: Add traffic lights and turn lanes.

Exit 78: Arkansas 264 Short term: Add turn lanes. Long term: Widen Arkansas 264 to five lanes. Widen Dixieland Road. Replace Oakwood Avenue Bridge and add turn lanes. Prohibit left turns and through traffic from Sixth Place. Build a connector road between Sixth Place and Dixieland Road.

Exit 81: Pleasant Grove Road Short term: None. Long term: Widen Pleasant Grove Road to six lanes. Add traffic signals and turn lanes.

Exit 83: Arkansas 94 & New Hope

Road Short term: None. Long term: Widen Horsebarn Road and Champions Drive. Add turn lanes in both directions.

Exit 85: 71 Business & SE Walton

Boulevard Short term: None. Mid term: Add one lane and pedestrian walkway to U.S. 71 Business. Long term: Widen U.S. 71B to six lanes. Convert exit from a diamond shape to a single-point urban interchange.

Exit 86: U.S. 71B, Arkansas 102, U.S. 62, SE 14 th Street Short term: Add one lane to Arkansas 102/U.S. 62. Long term: Widen Arkansas 102/U.S. 62 to six lanes. Convert the exit to a single point urban interchange.

Ban left turns from Phyllis onto Arkansas 102 and from Arkansas 102 onto Phyllis during peak hours. Exit 88:

U.S. 71 and Arkansas 72 Short term: Add traffic signals and turn lanes. Long term: Widen Arkansas 72. Add two loop ramps to take traffic from both directions of Arkansas 72 to southbound U.S. 71.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the extended list. I might have known about many of those but not all and I don't know if I would have had the patience to post all that info. :D

It took a few hours to find all of the information on the internet and from my papers.

What I find odd is that some of the long term projects in Rogers are being planned right now. That's an oddity for NWA traffic planning. :D

It took a few hours to find all of the information on the internet and from my papers.

What I find odd is that some of the long term projects in Rogers are being planned right now. That's an oddity for NWA traffic planning. :D

I do think Rogers has done a better job than most places in that aspect. I think Rogers had planned for all of this development around Pinnacle Hills for quite a while. I think they annexed a lot of that land in that area a while back ago.

I do think Rogers has done a better job than most places in that aspect. I think Rogers had planned for all of this development around Pinnacle Hills for quite a while. I think they annexed a lot of that land in that area a while back ago.

They did there homework.

The Pleasant Grove Road in Rogers is being planned to 6-lanes, and Horsebarn is also being widened.

So I guess it's U.S. 62, Walnut/Walton, and Arkansas 102 that are being planned for SPUI's.

They did there homework.

The Pleasant Grove Road in Rogers is being planned to 6-lanes, and Horsebarn is also being widened.

So I guess it's U.S. 62, Walnut/Walton, and Arkansas 102 that are being planned for SPUI's.

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I've heard single point interchanges mentioned for Fayetteville too. I think one where I-540 intersects 6th St and the other at Wedington I believe. I know 6th certainly could use one.

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I've heard single point interchanges mentioned for Fayetteville too. I think one where I-540 intersects 6th St and the other at Wedington I believe. I know 6th certainly could use one.

I think US 62 is 6th Street.

Here's a pic of a Single Point Urban Interchange for everyone who's not familiar with them.

60_lg.jpg

Archived