Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urban_Legend

A New Courthouse

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43980

Well, this was interesting. Peyton is planning to go back to a design competition. Personally, I hope KBJ enters again and WINS! Should be interesting, even though we won't see a courthouse for many moons.

The above article also mentions some other BJP news...

^ I'm with you Lakelander, I want a tower!

If Jacksonville is to boast the slogan "The Bold New City of the South" then why should we pay more for a classic design? We need something to take us into the future.

As I recall, Delaney was a stickler for a classical design. Now that he's gone maybe Jax can forge into the future a bit architecturally.

I have no problems with classical design. Neotraditional skyscrapers are often some of the most attractive, in my opinion. Classical doesn't have to mean a Palladian dome like cannon's design - it can still be a skyscraper.

Also, I hoestly don't give a - s h i t - if my public buildings "take me to the future." ;) I'll be quite happy as long as they respect the present with asthetic taste and city-friendly design! Classical, International, Modernist, freaking Deconstructivist, just make it respect the city around it.

(That being said, I always preferred KBJ over Cannon. However, I always thought Cannon's biggest flaws were where it ignored classical design, and had many unadorned, utlitarian windows.)

I have no problem with classical design. As long as it's not a cheap imitation of classical. Whatever style our future courthouse will be, I hope it's tasteful, decorative, and not bland. And a tower and some public plaza space won't hurt either...