What did Peachtree look like 50 years ago?

Andrea

Actually almost 60 years! Here's a detailed aerial view of the backbone of the city back in 1949. I labeled a few areas just for orientation. It's interesting to see how things have changed.

Aerial View of Peachtree 1949 You do have to scroll left and right a bit to follow Peachtree, as it's actually curvier than it seems. Things were still fairly residential almost all the way down to North Avenue.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love those aerials from GSU - I've georeferenced a few of them mainly in my neighborhood. It's interesting to see how much my neighborhood has lost from I-20, as well as downtown from all the freeways. Of course the most interesting aspect of these aerials is to show the dense urban neighborhoods to the east, south & west of downtown before urban renewal bulldozed them.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Those are amazing to see.

Does anyone know what avenue was lost under the downtown connector in midtown? Between Midtown and GT there was another major avenue there. I tried to follow it downtown to figure it out but kept comming up empty.

Wow! Those are amazing to see.

Does anyone know what avenue was lost under the downtown connector in midtown? Between Midtown and GT there was another major avenue there. I tried to follow it downtown to figure it out but kept comming up empty.

I *think* it was mainly Williams Street (and of course all the cross streets) that got paved over by the connector. Here's a link where I've attempted to show the 1949 Aerial with the freeway superimposed. It's not 100% accurate but I believe that's about right.

Of course the south end of the Connector also cut a wide swath through town, and didn't do any favors to areas like Sweet Auburn.

:(

Archived