Montgomery Population Growth

nowyano

First off I do not know how big the Metro area of Montgomery is anyway but when I graduated from Tuskegee in '02 and moved on Montgomery had a lot of construction happening out by AUM. There looked like buildings and malls along with residential areas. I know that there are plans for a couple of car plants which I assume will only make the economy and population grow.

But all I ever hear anyone talking about is Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville, I'm just curious how big Montgomery is and how big people expect it, or it's metro area to become.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, the metro population of Montgomery (Montgomery, Elmore, Autauga counties) is around 340,000. From what I know, East Montgomery is booming, and so is Prattville and other communities north of Montgomery. But the rest of the area is just sitting there. I expect Montgomery to grow, but not as fast as the other "Big 4" cities. If current growth rates continue, metro Montgomery should be around 355,000 by 2010.

As of the last census and last estimates, Auburn is currently the 9th-largest city in AL, behind the 6 listed, plus Dothan and Decatur.

The Auburn-Opelika-Phenix City area of the state stands to grow significantly over the next decade because of incredibly enormous additions (28,000 people) to the military at nearby Columbus, GA.

As of the last census and last estimates, Auburn is currently the 9th-largest city in AL, behind the 6 listed, plus Dothan and Decatur.

The Auburn-Opelika-Phenix City area of the state stands to grow significantly over the next decade because of incredibly enormous additions (28,000 people) to the military at nearby Columbus, GA.

Yes this is going to be a huge economic impact on the Columbus/Auburn/Opelika/Phenix City metro area.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just an opinion, but you may be seeing it right now. Montgomery's appetite for

annexing the whole county will end, and the city population will not grow substantially.

The metro population will continue but at a slower pace as well. Most growth will be

in Elmore,Autauga, Macon and Butler counties. The fact that the city has 4 counties in it's metro

is helping, but the fact is Montgomery is the 4th largest metro behind Huntsville which only

has 2 counties in it's metro, and Mobile which also has only two. Of course I may be wrong

but Hyundai will only carry the city so far and most of those workers probably live outside the city limits

or will.

Archived