The identity of the Triangle

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how they got writers from different cities to cover ones they don't already live in ....a Raleighite covering Durham, a Durhamite covering Cary, etc etc.

Neat idea. And they did good writing about interesting and unique places in each city. :thumbsup:

I was less-impressed with the readers' choices for best of the Triangle...way too many categories were filled with something from a national chain. Best coffeehouse is Starbucks? Give me a break! :blink:

Oh boy - I find the Indy Readers' choices laughable! Mostly chains, especially in the Wine & Dine category.

Best wings- HOOTERS! Best Coffee- STARBUCKS! Best Burger- 5GUYs! Best salad- Whole Foods and Ruby Tuesday! I think my personal favorite is best dessert - Cheesecake Factory. No wait, my real favorite is best steak - OUTBACK!! :rofl: ARE YOU JOKING?!!!

And Ashley Christensen as best chef? Her friends must have stuffed the ballot- she's never at Vin (her #2 is now head chef and has been for a while. I'd be pretty p'ed off if I were him!) and her other venture is completely stalled. I don't mean to make a personal attack, but it just shows how sad the wine and dine scene is in the Triangle.

Can you tell the results have stuck a nerve? Really, I'm laughing-- to keep from crying. I may know better, but it's embarassing that outsiders see these things at the best of the Triangle.

OK, blood pressure is too high- need to end the rant! Maybe I'll take a walk down Fayetteville Street for a coffee at Crema, or Morning Times, or Sosta-- mmm, Sosta- love their salads! Or maybe it's time for a real burger at the Raleigh Times. :P

Uh...Ashley Christensen is the head chef at the Raleigh Times Bar. And at what used to be Poole's, which I haven't tried yet but want to.

enjoy that burger!

BTW, I'm with you on the unimaginative results of chain this chain that.

Makes me wonder who the hell is filling these things out--hello Johnston County. Starbucks...no I'll pass on a drink from Caffe Driade so I can indulge in that watered down crap. Throw in a vote for TGI McFunsters and we've got the bases covered, right? Five Guys--I'll let that one slide because those burgers are pretty damn good. What this really points out is that we have a dynamic interesting place to live in...that some people will never (nor care to) see.

Makes me wonder who the hell is filling these things out--hello Johnston County. Starbucks...no I'll pass on a drink from Caffe Driade so I can indulge in that watered down crap. Throw in a vote for TGI McFunsters and we've got the bases covered, right? Five Guys--I'll let that one slide because those burgers are pretty damn good. What this really points out is that we have a dynamic interesting place to live in...that some people will never (nor care to) see.

Again the Independent's ugly anti-Raleigh bias rears its ugly head.

To check out Durham, Bob Geary:

1. gets to use a car

2. gets a tourguide to show him around

3. goes during Third Friday/culture crawl.

To check out Raleigh, Lisa Sorg:

1. relies on public transportation, including Amtrack, making the first visit's time in Raleigh from about 11 am to 4:50 pm.

2. wanders around on her own, sans tour guide

3. doesn't go on First Friday or any other planned event.

Was "going blindfolded" or "with one arm tied behind her back" too obvious?

I really want to know where these "gated subdivisions" are in Raleigh. There are a couple on Duraleigh north of Edwards Mill, but make up less than 1% of the city.

If the Indy made Mr. Geary's trip start through the neighborhoods east of downtown along Angier, Alston, Main, etc., he may have had a first impression similar to seeing Central Prison from the train tracks. But that would make Durham look bad, so of course that would never grace the pages of the "triangle's" arts weekly. He wasn't given a list of "bad things to remind the reader about" either. Jo and Joe's closed, but it is no biggie. Kings and Bickett closed? OMG Raleigh suxors! Regardless of the fact that the owners of those places currently have other places under developemnt.

The Amtrack restriction is the worst. There is *no* night life before 5 pm, but that doesn't mean there is no nightlife in Raleigh. Bloomsbury is bad, "dwarfing the bungalos", yet "growing" Durham is a positive thing.

<sarcasam>

Best record shop = schoolkids? Best bookstore = Regulator? NV for men's clothes? Firefly for shoes? Nothing but chains!!! Who votes for those things? It should obviously be FYE for music, Borders for books, Macy's for clothes, and Foot Locker or Champs for shoes.

</sarcasam>

No, she and Empire Properties, who own the Times, split months ago-- in November, give or take a few weeks. The new chef was introduced after putting on an awesome beer dinner a couple months ago. So, no, she's not responsible for my favorite burger in the Triangle. :D

Ashley left to focus on Vin and there were plans to open something at Poole's ("opening in February..no, April..looking at June"), but I haven't heard of any progress with that.

But good to see other people react the same way to the voting--- but then, who voted for the chains?!

He wasn't given a list of "bad things to remind the reader about" either. Jo and Joe's closed, but it is no biggie. Kings and Bickett closed? OMG Raleigh suxors! Regardless of the fact that the owners of those places currently have other places under developemnt.

• 3 months later...

Archived