The "Mystery Tower"

GRDadof3

I thought I would open up this a little more. Here's a weird thing, the artist (designer/architect) thought enough of this building to put a REFLECTION of it in the Amway Grand (look at the reflection on the Amway Grand and notice clearly the Campau Plaza Bldg and the other structure) That's pretty odd.

6638B8C052E611DAA7964BF918F73B1D.jpg

Here's my other picture

9EC0D67052E411DA858872E318F73B1D.jpg

Feels a bit like movie foreshadowing :huh:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I was playing a little off of your theory HolidayInn. ;) For a filler building, it just seems VERY strange that the designer picked THAT particular spot, and obviously took into account the angle of Ottawa. It's true that it does look to be a little too far to the left, almost at the corner of the Art Museum site. Look at the picture, and I could have put a lot better looking fillers in myself throughout the entire middle of the shot. That filler, if that's what it is, makes the skyline look WORSE :P

I know this fact:

Macatawa Bank did in fact buy the old Custer Office Bldg and plan to consolidate their GR operations there

I know of this rumor:

"Macatawa may set a 'height precedent' (not my words) in that area of downtown"

And my thought: Why put a reflection of a non-existent building in the glass of the Amway? As a little double-entendre maybe? Although the 3D software thing did kinda crush that theory.

Wait...a....minute.... there is no way that the 3D rendering software did that. Look at this:

8E90CB5052F511DA8DF883D518F73B1D.jpg

The Campau Plaza Building in the rendering blocks the entire lower section of the subject tower. How can that be based on the angle of reflection? It should probably only cover about 1/2. That reflection was hand drawn in.

Wait...a....minute.... there is no way that the 3D rendering software did that. Look at this:

The Campau Plaza Building in the rendering blocks the entire lower section of the subject tower. How can that be based on the angle of reflection? It should probably only cover about 1/2. That reflection was hand drawn in.

GRDad you are having way too much fun with this! :P

Good eye GRDad, I was about ready to bust out my expert testimony on allyas.

That building in question is most likely Plaza Towers.

I don't think that angle works.. b/c then the new hotel would at least partially block it, that's a full reflection

Yah the tower is question is definitely not plaza towers. I think the big question here is: Is it a real building that the drawer knew was going to be built, or was it added simply to "tart up" the skyline to make the marriott look better?

The new hotel wouldnt block it. The new hotel when looked in an isometric angel is actually just covering a tab bit of Amway Grand

(where the slant of the tower actually begins) and leaving full reflection of the Plaza Towers.

You have to remember that if this rendering is down to the foot both Amway Grand and the plaza tower's foot prints are infact slanted.

Nevermind! the photo just posted sums it up for me, boy was my monitor too dark!!!

Plaza Towers is not in the picture at all. This picture that twoshort (sorry) posted

building.jpg

the building in the reflection that he outlined in red is 99 Monroe (Campau Square):

359333.JPG

I can tell because 99 Monroe has the box at the top that houses all their mechanicals.

In fact, the photo I just posted NAILS it for me. The photographer stood right where Ottawa and Louis Streets join, and you can clearly see ALL of the Amway Grand. That would then mean that 99 Monroe would not disrupt a reflection of this new "tower".

Archived