Ziggy's and The Garage in danger of closing

intcvlcphlga

I'm not sure if anyone saw this article in the Journal,

http://www.journalnow.com/scripts/isapi_sr...tacodalogin=yes

but Wake Forest is rumored to be planning to buy Ziggy's and The Garage is closing too. Both of these live music venues are among the very few positive aspects of W-S's nightlife. Wake Forest students should protest their school's plans to buy Ziggy's if they are just planning to tear it down. Ziggy's is the Triad's premier band club and as a college student I used to go there whenever I was in town to see bands like Dave Matthews Band, The Samples, Phish, etc. And, the Garage is a great venue for experimental, local and east coast music. Why is it that Winston-Salem and the Triad cannot support these places? It's not as if there is much else to do on the weekends...Any thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Garage may get a second wind. I've heard that Richard Emmett, owner of the club, is wanting to sale shares at $1000 a share to local investors. His goal is to raise $100,000 that way and then have the club owned by the investors. He envisions the club then being run by a board of directors. Hopefully this will work out and keep the Garage open. The Garage is an important piece for downtown entertainment and I think lots of folks will be interested in helping keep the place going.

In related news, The Flying Anvil, will be opening soon in dt greensboro. That club will face similar challenges that Ziggy's and the Garage have faced. Hopefully it will work out.

What gets me is why does the university have to buy this awesome place and most likely demolish it? Why don't they support our local economy and build in the PTRP? The Garage recently completed a renovation with an outdoor patio about a half a year ago, so they most have been doing somewhat well to support those new amenities. About a year ago there was an article in the Business Journal about how the Garage was struggling and how Richard was moving back to Pittsburgh looking for new ventures. I don't think Winston has hit that level yet to become a contender in the nightclub industry. You have to take babysteps in order to reach that status. I think Winston should start focusing in on more late night open restaurants and more retail. You have to have a drawl to get people down here and make these other places thrive and survive. I would guarantee you that if you had a downtown grocery (like Harris Teeter) you WOULD see a steady increase of people walking the streets and checking out the shops. By the way does anybody know when Mellow Mushroom is opening? I can't wait!

What gets me is why does the university have to buy this awesome place and most likely demolish it? Why don't they support our local economy and build in the PTRP? The Garage recently completed a renovation with an outdoor patio about a half a year ago, so they most have been doing somewhat well to support those new amenities. About a year ago there was an article in the Business Journal about how the Garage was struggling and how Richard was moving back to Pittsburgh looking for new ventures. I don't think Winston has hit that level yet to become a contender in the nightclub industry. You have to take babysteps in order to reach that status. I think Winston should start focusing in on more late night open restaurants and more retail. You have to have a drawl to get people down here and make these other places thrive and survive. I would guarantee you that if you had a downtown grocery (like Harris Teeter) you WOULD see a steady increase of people walking the streets and checking out the shops. By the way does anybody know when Mellow Mushroom is opening? I can't wait!

While Wake Forest's commitment to and support of the local economy cannot be belittled given the fact that they have spearheaded the whole PTRP idea and have helped medicine/research grow into the largest industry and employer in Winston-Salem, I don't understand why Wake students wouldn't be up in arms over the potential loss of such a great venue (that's so near campus) such as Ziggy's at the hands of their university's administrators. Additionally, Ziggy's (and by extension, Winston) already was a "contender" in the live-band club industry. I had friends who would drive from Charlotte and Greensboro because Ziggy's and Cat's Cradle were a couple of the few venues who drew the bands that were too small for the Charlotte and Greensboro Coliseums, but too big for a frat party. Furthermore, Winston-Salem has close to 200,000 people in the city + tens of thousands more in the Forsyth County - it is an established city, we're not talking about Cary or some other emerging edge city. What do these people do for fun? I know reality TV is big in the subdivisions and being married seems to be a pre-requisite to having a life in W-S, but give me a break, someone has to want an outlet that doesn't involve a Lazyboy and a remote control on a Friday night.

And, I agree, a grocery store downtown would be a huge step in the right direction, but that is supplemental to great institutions - ie. The Garage - already there.

New to the whole board, usually post in the Triangle board.....

Anyways, thats a shame. I'm a college student here in Raleigh and over the past 4 years of being in college, I've driven many times to Winston Salem to go to a show either at Ziggy's or a show put on by Ziggy's at the Millennium Center in Downtown Winston Salem. Ziggy's is not only a great supporter of live local and regional bands, but they pull in some serious national recording artists that even Raleigh does not get. Specifically rock bands. I was very disappointed when Ziggy's be the Sea closed in Atlantic Beach because it was an ocean front live music venue that brought in national recording artists to a hole in the wall venue in Atlantic Beach. Neighbors complained too much and it closed. But now this would take a serious blow to not only Winston Salem's nightlife, but surrounding areas that are within a drive to get there. I for one would be extremely disappointed because of my previous statements. Not like there are too many places to go see bands these days (specifically nationally known ones) that is in a small up-close and personal environment and is suprisingly affordable considering how much a concert would cost at Alltel Pavilion (which happens to be where I work), RBC Center, Greensboro Coliseum, Charlotte Coliseum, Verizon Wireless Pavilion, and the new Bobcats Arena.

New to the whole board, usually post in the Triangle board.....

Anyways, thats a shame. I'm a college student here in Raleigh and over the past 4 years of being in college, I've driven many times to Winston Salem to go to a show either at Ziggy's or a show put on by Ziggy's at the Millennium Center in Downtown Winston Salem. Ziggy's is not only a great supporter of live local and regional bands, but they pull in some serious national recording artists that even Raleigh does not get. Specifically rock bands. I was very disappointed when Ziggy's be the Sea closed in Atlantic Beach because it was an ocean front live music venue that brought in national recording artists to a hole in the wall venue in Atlantic Beach. Neighbors complained too much and it closed. But now this would take a serious blow to not only Winston Salem's nightlife, but surrounding areas that are within a drive to get there. I for one would be extremely disappointed because of my previous statements. Not like there are too many places to go see bands these days (specifically nationally known ones) that is in a small up-close and personal environment and is suprisingly affordable considering how much a concert would cost at Alltel Pavilion (which happens to be where I work), RBC Center, Greensboro Coliseum, Charlotte Coliseum, Verizon Wireless Pavilion, and the new Bobcats Arena.

Thanks for making my point.

Also, on the whole downtown grocer, there already is a great place for produce at Cherry and 7th St - I think it's called Vernon's Produce. It would be great if he could expand into a small market. Or, maybe Lowe's Foods, which is a local store, should step up and build one. The city planning board would have to relax the arcane parking requirements which is something like 1 off street pkg space per 100 or 1000 sf of retail space. Someone on here probably knows the exact code, but it should be relaxed to help foster retail development downtown.

What I don't understand, is why the university is going for these particular properties? Surely there are old, decrepit properties, vacant lots, etc. that could be had for much cheaper? And certainly developing on what is now an empty eyesore would be much preferable to tearing down a vibrant club. Does the university have something against Ziggy's or The garage? :blink::huh:

I'm sure Ziggy's will find a new home somewhere. Its pretty much the only major music club in the Triad and seems to do pretty well. If it does go that will leave a major gap of music clubs in the Piedmont as the Tremont Music Club in Charlotte is up against the ropes right now as well. You will have to drive to Asheville or Chapel Hill to see a show thats not in a major venue.

Ziggy's is one of the best local music venues in the state. I haven't been in years, but I used to go there often in the mid-late 90s. I certainly hope they find a new home and continue the tradition somehow. It is a Winston-Salem institution, and arguably a North Carolina institution.

• 1 month later...

Any new news on this?

Ziggy's is the only reason I ever go to W-S. They have some amazing bands there that many people never find out about.

I haven't heard anything more about Ziggy's. Hopefully, if Wake does buy them, they could reopen in a new location. I would think Wake students would be up-in-arms about their administration buying up all of the bars/clubs in that area just so they can tear them down. Anyone from Wake on here who knows more about the situation that wants to respond?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Garage to remain open

excerpt from this week's Smitty's notes...

For those who are wondering about the latest with The Garage, I have great news. After being in financial limbo the past few years, owner Richard Emmett has been able to round up some investors to help keep the music venue open. The Garage has been home to independent music in Winston-Salem since 1999, providing a place for local and regional bands to play. Such venues were few in the area at the time. Emmett felt strongly that it was an important piece of the fabric in helping bring a young demographic to the downtown scene. A lot has changed since it opened at Seventh and Trade streets in the Arts District. With a higher awareness of downtown and 24 restaurants and a half-dozen music venues open, The Garage is in a good position to give it another shot. There will be a few changes. Beginning in July it will become a private club selling beer, wine and mixed drinks. Membership will be $1. Hours will be 4 p.m. to 2 a.m., open five nights a week as a bar. Of course, there will still be live music. But Emmett believes that with the support of his investors, this is the best option to keep the music venue open. Glad to see that The Garage lives for another day. Playing Saturday at 9 p.m. will be Big Ron Hunter and his Red Bank Squirrel Scratchin' Blues with special guest Drew Gibson. Admission is $7. The Garage is at 110 W. Seventh St. For more information call 777-1127.

Archived