what are "reverse flow lanes on major thoroughfares"

KendallKid

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is similar to what there doing witht he crosstown expressway, right?

Correct. Unfortunately, there was a collapse during construction a few months ago due to poor design. As a result, the highway has been delayed, but for how long, I don't know. Maybe one of the Tampa forumers can ellaborate. I really feel bad for the citizens of Tampa metro.

Correct. Unfortunately, there was a collapse during construction a few months ago due to poor design. As a result, the highway has been delayed, but for how long, I don't know. Maybe one of the Tampa forumers can ellaborate. I really feel bad for the citizens of Tampa metro.

The bridge construction is expected to be finished by early next year, with opening in july or august of 2006. As for people driving in the wrong direction, if these reverse flow lanes are designed like the crosstown that can't happen. The crosstown will implement a net device similar to what's used on aircraft carriers. If a car tries to go the wrong way the net will catch them and they will be fined I believe $10,000.00.

^ Is that for real??? Very interesting...I wonder how many poor tourists will get caught in the net?!

I'm almost certain it was that amount. I remember it was outrageous because I think they have to replace the whole net if it's ever used. I'm surely hoping they will have signs that say do not enter or something to alert drivers that they cannot use the lanes.

Which side of the median would it go on? Or would they have to remove the median? I don't think I'd feel to safe driving on I-95 or the 836 without a median. A moveable median maybe?

If they did it like the one in Honolulu, they would have a median that could be moved in between rush hours. In my opinion, that would be a pain having to pay so many workers everyday to move a median back and forth. It would be easier just to build an extra lane.

If they did it like the one in Honolulu, they would have a median that could be moved in between rush hours. In my opinion, that would be a pain having to pay so many workers everyday to move a median back and forth. It would be easier just to build an extra lane.

Actually in Dallas one truck did it it lifted the concrete barrier and moved it back so you wouldnt have to pay many workers i do agree that one more land would be better though but reverse flow lanes are mostly used in areas where new lanes can be built.

The only road I can think of in SoFla with reversable lanes is NW 199th Street in front of Dolphins Stadium - from NW 2nd Avenue to NW 27th Avenue. At its widest point, it's 6 lanes plus 2 reversable lanes.

It has a 35 mph speed limit, which is utterly ridiculous, and to top that off, there is a major speed trap right before you go under the Turnpike bridge. I've never gotten a ticket (thank goodness) through all the times I've sped through there! :D

Archived