Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerseyman4

Does the Triad need a News 14 affilation of its own?

Yeah I think the Triad needs one! Just to replace WXLV (ABC 45) of course. But we do have some pretty stiff competition against our homegrown 3.

Well FOX8 produces a lot of news... but I'd like to see News 14 here in the triad. I think WFMY is #3 now btw Steven. WGHP is #1... i think WXII is #2.

and yeah well ABC 45's and Sinclair's News Central SUCKED.

Plus, WFMY doesn't have a 5:30 newscast, for a market this size (yes i know they air Andy Griffith) I think WFMY's made some bad decisions, such as losing both Oprah and Dr. Phil. I have to complain about WXII's on-air picture quality too. but anyway... I'd like to see News14 Triad

I think WFMY is #3 now btw Steven. WGHP is #1... i think WXII is #2.

Gosh, that's shifted a lot. WFMY was THE station back when I could get their signal really well. Last time I saw it, nobody I remembered previously was anchoring except for Sandra Hughes. That could explain the drop: WFMY traditionally has had the lowest turnover rate at the newsdesk of the Triad stations, but I guess that changed sometime after they got rid of Lee Kinard and the funky "2" logo.

WGHP is actually really good at local coverage, I can see them growing. But WXII being #2 is a mystery. Why? How? They've always been really polished, but not that great on covering the whole market.

But WXII being #2 is a mystery. Why? How? They've always been really polished, but not that great on covering the whole market.

WXII likes to forget its eastern and southern viewers and focus on its northern, western and a few SW VA counties between Martinsville and Independance. For them being #2 is not suprising because WFMY is really falling down in ratings sadly.

I do like how WXII maintains a lot of its anchors which WFMY has not since Kinards retirement.

I do like how WXII maintains a lot of its anchors which WFMY has not since Kinard's retirement.

True. Cameron Kent and Wanda Starke, among others, have been at WXII forever.

I rarely watch WXII. I usually watch WFMY or FOX 8. I just like WFMY the best because of its history. But it's not doing very good right now. Not too long ago we lost Randy Jackson. And I miss their old weird 2. If you look real close at their old 2, it actually is a 2 believe it or not.

Not too long ago we lost Randy Jackson.
What happened to him btw? I've heard him on a local radio station doing weather (I think)...but why isnt he at 2 anymore? I like Eric Chilton just fine...especially as he seems more pollished now than when he was with Fox 8...but was surprised to see him in Randy Jackson's place some time back.

Well I noticed that like two people form WFMY moved to ABC45 News Central. Those two I beleive were that Frank Fraboni and Leonard Simpson. Now that NewsCentral is defunct, Leonard Simpson has now moved to WXII to become a field reporter and Frank........well, I don't know where he went to?

I miss Mike Hogwood! ALOT!

What happened to him [randy jackson] btw?

Jackson is employed at some private company involving with weather but is also doing weather reports on WZTK 101.1 FM which is a Triad talk radio station.

I thought the Triad already had a News14... well I think they could definitely use one. They have been pretty successful in the Triangle and Charlotte, and both of those markets had long time broadcast news programs from the local CBS and ABC affiliates.

Charlotte's News14 has a great studio location that is on Uptown's doorstep--literally right across the Belk Freeway. Raleigh's News14 studio is in a crappy location on Atlantic Ave just inside the Beltline.

But why did he leave?

Why did Mike Hogwood Leave?

I do not know.

Id like to know why people at WFMY come and go too much, thats the real question id like to ask! :D

I do not know.

Id like to know why people at WFMY come and go too much, thats the real question id like to ask! :D

I've been asking myself that same question for awhile.

I think Mike Hogwood left because he wanted to move up. I have heard him in a few Carolina Hyundai commercials lately.

WXII likes to forget its eastern and southern viewers and focus on its northern, western and a few SW VA counties between Martinsville and Independance. For them being #2 is not suprising because WFMY is really falling down in ratings sadly.

I do like how WXII maintains a lot of its anchors which WFMY has not since Kinards retirement.

Yes, WXII does like to focus on the Northern and Western sections of the piedmont, however, WFMY does the same thing by focusing mainly on Greensboro and nothing else. FOX 8 does a great job covering all areas of the Triad, which is the reason it's now #1.