Urban Planet Nashville Development Map

smeagolsfree

I just wanted everyone to know I am going to attempt to put Nashville into the UP Development Maps site. I have spoken to Rural King and he has given me the go ahead to do this for us. I need you help in deciding what should go on the map. We can show how much is going on here as compared to other cities and show off what we have already. I met with Doorman, Dave, William, and Nashvillebound today to get some imput . Give me some ideas about what you would like to see listed on the map. We need to keep this thread in a prominent location for all to see and add to as they join the forum.

It would be great if everyone could go to the link below to see the site if you have not done so already and see some of the features there. I cant do this alone as far as information, locations, proposals etc. We all know some and some of us know a lot but I dont think anyone individual has all the pieces to the development puzzle of Nashville. With this tool, we can at least see where things are going to go and give others who do not live here an idea of where things will be.

I am looking forward to doing this for our subforum and really want to make this a group effort as to how it is done.

Thanks,

Ron

http://www.urbanplanet.org/dyn/development_maps.php

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smeagolsfree/Ron,

Yes, I would extend from the downtown core using about a five-mile radius. This would include projects in Belle Meade and Green Hills.

As to when the projects have been completed, I like within the past one year.

I cannot find the master list you have assembled. I do seem to recall that you might have failed to include The Brownstones at Fifth (located at Fifth and Garfield in Germantown) and Garfield Place (at Garfield and Sixth). You, IJDave, Doorman and I drove past both sites last Saturday.

When I find the list, I'll see what projects and their addresses are missing.

This map should prove VERY helpful.

GREAT session last Saturday. We saw a lot. And good to have Todd on board.

WW

Hey Smeaolsfree!

I agree.... projects completed within the past 1 year, and withing a 5 mile radius... (of course it would be great to have, in downtown especially, some of the bigger buildings such as batman, and L&C, etc... as landmarks for those of us who are not very familiar with street names and such)...

Anyone know how to copy a photo or graphic from a pdf file in order to post it?

www.downtownmemphis.com has tons of maps, but they're all in pdf form.

I seem to recall you need special conversion software to go from pdf to jpg which isn't cheap.

Adobe Photoshop will do it--and no, it's not cheap

Well, I figured as much.

I downloaded some trial conversion software awhile back which didn't work that well.

I've got some Canon software which maybe has something along those lines, though I doubt it.

I really dislike pdf, and wonder why it exists, though I've got to give them credit for making a pile of money.

PDF is the greatest invention since the wheel, imo. But, that's my professional opinion. I could give dozens of examples in my graphics, printing, proofing and attachment life, but as an example you take an ad from Paramount, double truck with all the images, finicky fonts, billboard sized images. Making all that work from pre-press to plate can be a nightmare, but with PDF, my hellish existance becomes exponentially easier. It used to be very intense, but now, press pdf, upload to ftp server, printer snags it, and direct to plate. OMG, this is an amazing world.

From a user standpoint, I can understand a dislike. But believe me, if I had a choice between pdf and sliced bread, I'd go with Acrobat. lol

PDF into Photoshop and isolating the image and resaving as a jpeg is the best way to go, but it is prohibitively expensive for a hobby. I would guess that most image software would open the pdf file at least and do pretty much the same thing. Some lower end user software is pretty reasonable nowadays.

Anyone know how to copy a photo or graphic from a pdf file in order to post it?

Yeah, the Prnt Scrn button on a PC keyboard or the image capture utility on a Mac. But be aware of copyright issues and the rules we have here for posting copyrighted material. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that the map was updated today and a lot of the projects now have renderings with them. I will add as I get time and I should have high speed internet service by this time next week and a new xps 400 some time this month. Things will speed up then I hope. I should be able to post photos by then.

Archived